Access, holdings & availability
- Paris : De Boccard, 2009.
- Mémoires et travaux du Centre de recherche français de Jérusalem ; no 9.
Mémoires et travaux du Centre de recherche français à Jérusalem, 0243-0258 ; 9
278 p. : ill., maps ; 30 cm.
- Technology -- Anthropological aspects -- Middle East -- Congresses.
Technology -- Middle East -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Technology and civilization -- Congresses.
Industries -- History -- Congresses.
Middle East -- Antiquities -- Congresses.
- In techniques and people, Rosen and Roux have assembled a collection of studies documenting the embeddedness of technology in the cultures of the late prehistoric and early historic periods of the southern Levant (with one comparative study from France). Unlike studies focusing on specific technologies, this collection cross-cuts technological realms, includings analyses of a wide range of techniques and materials (ceramics, metallurgy, chipped stone, bone working, lapidary, ground stone) and in this large view traces social and cultural patterns across technologies. Focusing primarily on the basic organizing principle of chaîne opératoire, these analyses demonstrate how the structures of technology and society are integrated. They thus provide insights into structural relations within societies and into the dynamics of social evolutionary change.
- Papers presented at a conference held in Jerusalem in 2006.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the J. Fithian Tatem Memorial Fund.
- Rosen, Steven A.
J. Fithian Tatem Memorial Fund.
- Web link:
- The J. Fithian Tatem Memorial Fund Home Page