This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Brubaker, Leslie.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
xxiv, 918 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
Iconoclasm -- Byzantine Empire -- History.
Byzantine Empire -- Church history.
Iconoclasm -- Byzantine Empire -- History -- Sources.
Byzantine Empire -- Church history -- Sources.
Art, Byzantine -- History.
Byzantine Empire -- Politics and government.
Church and state -- Byzantine Empire -- History.
Art and state -- Byzantine Empire -- History.
- "Iconoclasm, the debate about the legitimacy of religious art that began in Byzantium around 720 and continued for nearly 120 years, has long held a firm grip on the historical imagination. This is the first book in English for over fifty years to survey this most elusive and fascinating period in medieval history. It is also the first book in any language to combine the expertise of two authors who are specialists in the written, archaeological, and visual evidence from this period, a combination of particular importance to the iconoclasm debate. The authors have worked together to provide a comprehensive overview of the visual, written, and other materials that together help clarify the complex issues of iconoclasm in Byzantium. In doing so, they challenge many traditional assumptions about iconoclasm and set the period firmly in its broader political, cultural, and social-economic context"--Provided by publisher.
- Belief, ideology, and practice in a changing world
Leo III : iconoclast or opportunist?
Constantine V and the institutionalisation of iconoclasm
The triumph of tradition? : the iconophile intermission, 775-813
The second iconoclasm
Economy, society, and state
Patterns of settlement : urban and rural life
Social elites and the court
Society, politics, and power
Fiscal management and administration
Strategic administration and the origins of the themata
Iconoclasm, representation, and rewriting the past.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund.
Haldon, John F.
John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund.
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
The John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund Home Page