This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Restif de La Bretonne, 1734-1806.
- Other title:
- Histoire d'Ursule-R**, faite sur les veritables lettres des personages
- Imprimé à La-Haie [i.e. Paris] : [s.n.], 1785.
8 pts. in 4 v. : ill., plates ; 17 cm. (12mo)
- City and town life -- France -- Fiction.
France -- Social life and customs -- 18th century -- Fiction.
- False imprint.
A reissue of the sheets of "La paysane pervertie", with cancel half-titles & titles pasted over the originals in each vol.; the 1st page of text in all 8 pts. is also a cancel pasted over the originals, in order to change the caption-titles on those pages; in addition, there are the following cancels: v. 3, p. 65-68, 109-114, 129-132, 143-144, 199-200, 223-226, 233-234, 243-244, 289-290; v. 4, p. 57-58, 61-62, 65-66.
In some sets, v. 4 ends at p. 336.
Plates designed by Louis Binet.
Rives Childs states that various sections of the work were printed between 1783 and 1785, and it would appear that not all copies are the same.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Craig D. Ritchie Bequest Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Amy Comegys Memorial Fund.
in this set, v. 4 continues to p. 344 with "Table des noms des personages du Paysan & de la Paysane pervertis". V.4 also includes a section 'Revue des ouvrages de l'auteur' (p. xlxix-ccxliv); and a final section of six unsigned leaves giving a list of the author's works and the 'Table des contemporaines.' These sections are usually found in a separate volume.
The RBC set has an additional volume, with the binding labelled 'Explic. des figures' in place of a volume number. This is a separate work describing the plates.
- Cited in:
- Reves Child XXIX.3 (p.291)
- Craig D. Ritchie Bequest Fund.
Amy Comegys Memorial Fund.
- Web link:
- The Craig D. Ritchie Bequest Fund Home Page
The Amy Comegys Memorial Fund Home Page