Access, holdings & availability
- Defoe, Daniel, 1661?-1731.
- Other title:
- Life and adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe : extra-illustrated PU
- London : Printed for T. Cadell and W. Davies, 1820.
2 v. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Survival after airplane accidents, shipwrecks, etc. -- Fiction.
Castaways -- Fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- "Directions for placing the engravings, with the subject of the plates.": Vol. 1, p. [lxxxiii]-lxxxix.
Engravings signed: Engraved by C. Heath.
"A list of Defoe's writings, as far as they have been ascertained.": Vol. 1, p. [lxvii]-lxxxii.
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries copy extra-illustrated with 567 illustrations (each mounted on a blank leaf) from editions of Robinson Crusoe
published from the early 18th century through 1871, shortly after which this copy was probably compiled. For more information,
see the finding aid "The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Extra-Extra-Illustrated (T. Cadell and W. Davies, 1820)."
Penn Libraries copy: v. 1, pt. 1 has ms. bibliographical note in pencil on verso of front free endpaper and bookseller's ms. notes in pencil on back free endpaper.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Allan G. Chester and Florence K. Chester Fund.
Penn Libraries copy bound in 6 vols., each in full red morocco; boards double-ruled in gold; 5 raised, gold-tooled bands on spine; gold-tooled spine panels; title and author's surname, volume and part number (followed by the words: EXTRA ILLUSTRATED), and "STOCKDALE 1820" stamped in gold on spine; gold-tooled cover edges and turn-ins; red endpapers; gilt tops.
Penn Libraries copy: each vol. has added title leaf which reads: The life and adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. Extra-Illustrated. Vol. I[-II]., Part I[-III]. London: Printed for T. Cadell and W. Davies; 1820.
Penn Libraries copy: each volume has minor damage to spine.
- Cited in:
- Lovett, R.W. Robinson Crusoe, 247
- Stothard, Thomas, 1755-1834.
Heath, Charles, 1785-1848.
Allan G. Chester and Florence K. Chester Fund.
Collection of British and American Fiction, 1660-1830 (University of Pennsylvania)
- Web link:
- The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Extra-Extra-Illustrated (T. Cadell and W. Davies, 1820)
The Allan G. Chester and Florence K. Chester Fund Home Page