This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Yamagata, Daini, 1725-1767.
- [Japan, between 1755 and 1799]
65 leaves : paper ; bound to 273 x 193 mm.
Castles -- Japan.
Fortification -- Japan.
Japan -- History -- Tokugawa period, 1600-1868.
Manuscripts, Japanese -- 18th century.
- Confucian scholar who started working for the Bakufu bureaucracy in ca. 1755, was known for his critique of the Tokugawa political system, and was executed for involvement in an anti-government plot.
- Maps of and text on feudal castles in the current Kansai, Chubu, Kanto, and Chugoku regions in central Japan, representing about a third of Yamagata's complete compendium of feudal castles in eastern, central, and western Honshu.
- Ms. codex.
Title from pastedown on upper cover.
Collation: Paper, 65 double sheet folios.
Layout: Text pages written in up to 11 columns.
Decoration: 54 castle plans in colored inks and wash, showing details such as buildings, grounds, walls, and gates; circles, triangles, and some characters in red ink in text.
Binding: Fukuro-toji (stitched), with simple geometric stamp used repeatedly on the paper covers and a pastedown of gold with characters in black ink on the upper cover.
Origin: Written in Japan in the second half of the 18th century.
- Sold by F. A. Bernett Books (Boston, Mass.), 2011.
- Cite as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 1592
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order