Access, holdings & availability
- Chichester, West Sussex ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
Blackwell companions to American history.
Blackwell companions to American history
xxi, 670 p. ; 26 cm.
Environmentalism -- United States -- History.
Environmental policy -- United States -- History.
Green movement -- United States -- History.
- ""A model compilation It not only takes the analytical measure of the field of American environmental history, it forthrightly blazes trails for the field in the future." William Deverell, Director, Huntington-USC Institute on California and the West" ""A fantastic guide to environmental history that will change how you think about the past." Ted Steinberg, Case Western Reserve University" ""This superb volume, a collaboration of established scholars and rising stars, is now the essential guide to the expanding field of environmental history." Elliott West, University of Arkansas" "A Companion to American Environmental History gathers together a comprehensive collection of over 30 essays that examine the evolving and diverse field of American environmental history, and not only presents a state-of-the-field as it stands, but also expands the current scholarship. With contributions from the founders of this unique branch of history, and the work of innovative young scholars, this Companion presents a bold vision for the future of environmental history, as well as a critical appreciation of its growth and development. The essays in this volume are presented in five parts, covering a diverse set of topics that range from American Indian environmental relations, oceans, and food, to borders, culture, and identity. Combining a complete historiography with the most recent research and trends, the Companion pushes the existing boundaries of the field and encourages new directions of study."--BOOK JACKET.
- Paths towards home : landmarks of the field in environmental history / Louis S. Warren
Air / Nancy Langston
The living earth : history, Darwinian evolution, and the grasslands / Donald Worster
Fire / Stephen J. Pyne
Water / Rebecca Solnit
Race and US environmental history / Colin Fisher
Gender / Susan R. Schrepfer and Douglas Cazaux Sackman
Class / Chad Montrie
Body counts : tracking the human body through environmental history / Neil M. Maher
From wilderness to hybrid landscapes : the cultural turn in environmental history / Richard White
American Indian environmental relations / David Rich Lewis
Cultures of nature : nineteenth century / Aaron Sachs
Cultures of nature : twentieth century / Finis Dunaway
From wilderness to prophets to tool freaks : post-World War II environmentalism / Andrew Kirk
The black box in the garden : consumers and the environment / Tom McCarthy
Flora / Frieda Knobloch
Fauna : a prospectus for evolutionary history / Edmund Russell
Water development: the plot thickens / Patty Limerick
Rich crevices of inquiry : mining and environmental history / Katherine G. Morrissey
Who cares about forests? How forest history matters / Ellen Stroud
Cultivating an agro-environmental history / Sara M. Gregg
Oceans : fusing the history of science and technology with environmental history / Helen M. Rozwadowski
Cities and suburbs / Chris Sellers
Energy and transportation / Brian Black
The global ecological reach of the United States : exporting capital and importing commodities / Richard P. Tucker
Food / Douglas Cazaux Sackman
Blinded by history : the geographic dimension of environment and society / Richard Walker and Sarah Thomas
The northeastern Pacific basin : an environmental approach to seascapes and littoral places / David Igler
Earthlings : evolution and place in environmental history / Dan Flores
"Most fruitful results" : transborder approaches to Canadian-American environmental history / Ted Binnema
Seeing beyond our borders : US and non-US historiographies / Paul Sutter.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Herman V. Ames Fund.
Sackman, Douglas Cazaux, 1968-
Herman V. Ames Fund.
- 9781405156653 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1405156651 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
The Herman V. Ames Fund Home Page