Access, holdings & availability
- Sanches, António Nunes Ribeiro, 1699-1783.
- [Paris], 1756.
66 leaves : paper ; 213 x 160 (154 x 106-110) mm. bound to 218 x 170 mm.
- Inquisition -- Portugal -- Early works to 1800.
Christian converts from Judaism -- Portugal -- History -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Portuguese -- 18th century.
- History of the categories of Cristão velho (Old Christian) and Christão novo (New Christian, converts from Judaism to Catholicism and their descendants) in Portugal, and of discrimination against and persecution of Christãos novos.
- Ms. codex.
Title from caption title (f. 1r); attribution to author in a near-contemporary hand on front flyleaf.
Foliation: Paper, i + 66 + i; 1-66, contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto. Catchword on each page, lower right corner.
Layout: Written in 14 long lines.
Script: Written in cursive script by a single hand; information about author and production of manuscript in a second hand (front flyleaf).
Binding: Contemporary (18th-century) mottled calf.
Origin: Copied in Paris in 1756 (front flyleaf) from a manuscript written in 1748 (front flyleaf, f. 66r).
- Formerly owned by antiquarian bookdealer and collector Alfonso Cassuto (Lisbon; label inside upper cover; embossed stamp,
f. i, 66 ).
Sold at auction at Kestenbaum & Company as part of the Alfonso Cassuto collection, Part 2, 23 June 2011, lot 56.
- Cite as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 1619
- Cassuto, Alfonso, 1910-1999, former owner.
Alfonso Cassuto Collection (University of Pennsylvania)