Access, holdings & availability
- Stevenson, Kenneth (Kenneth W.)
- Other title:
- Liturgy & interpretation
- London : SCM Press, 2011.
SCM studies in worship and liturgy.
SCM studies in worship and liturgy
xii, 257 p. ; 24 cm.
Lord's prayer -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. -- History.
Jesus Christ -- Transfiguration.
Andrewes, Lancelot, 1555-1626.
Sermons, English -- 17th century -- History and criticism.
Theology, Doctrinal -- Anglican authors.
- Part 1. Interpreting the Lord's Prayer
1. The Lord's Prayer in tradition
2. The six homilies of Peter Chrysologus on the Lord's prayer
3. Richard Hooker and the Lord's prayer : a chapter in Reformation controversy
4. Christology and Trinity : interpreting the Lord's prayer in Augustine, Maximus the Confessor, Lancelot Andrewes and Karl Barth
Part 2. Interpreting the Transfiguration
5. 'Rooted in detachment' : transfiguration as narrative, worship and community of faith
6. From Origen to Palamas : Greek expositions of the Transfiguration
7. From Hilary of Poitiers to Peter of Blois : a Transfiguration journey of biblical interpretation
8. 'In all supernatural works, we rather draw back than help on' : the seven Transfiguration sermons of John Hacket (1592-1670)
Part 3. Interpreting the Sermons of Lancelot Andrewes
9. 'Human nature honoured' : absolution in Lancelot Andrewes
10. Lancelot Andrewes on Ash Wednesday : a seventeenth-century case study in how to start Lent
11. Worship and theology : Lancelot Andrewes in Durham, Easter 1617
12. Lancelot Andrewes at Holyrood : the 1617 Whitsun sermon in perspective
Part 4. Two concluding contrasts
13. Animal rites : the four living creatures in patristic exegesis and liturgy
14. Michael Ramsey interpreting the Eucharist
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Charlton Yarnall Fund.
- Charlton Yarnall Fund.
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
The Charlton Yarnall Fund Home Page