This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Standardized title:
- Bible. O.T. Samuel, 2nd. Selections.
- ca. 1125.
1 item (1 leaf)
- Absalom, son of David.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 12th century.
- In Latin.
- Vellum leaf from an Italian giant Bible, ca. 1125, trimmed and folded from use in a binding. The text on the recto is 2 Samuel 14.29-15.16 (part of the story of David's son Absalom; the page heading identifies the book as 2 Kings, as it was known in the Vulgate), written in a rounded Italian protogothic script, in 2 columns of 38 lines, with probably 4 lines lost at the bottom of each column due to trimming. The text on the verso is effaced. Running headings (Lib[er] on verso, Regu[m] II on recto) and a 2-line initial in red. A marginal roman numeral marks the beginning of Chapter 15 in the first column, and there is a guide letter to the left of the chapter number, but the initial has not been added.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Julia B. Leisenring Book Fund.
- Sold by King Alfred's Notebook (Cayce, S.C.), cat. 5 (2011), no. 10.
- Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Web link:
The Julia B. Leisenring Book Fund Home Page
The Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order