Access, holdings & availability
- Other title:
- Brevets sur la calotte
- [France, after 1725]
396 leaves : paper ; 219 x 152 (161-167 x 95) mm. bound to 225 x 180 mm.
- Régiment de la calotte.
French poetry -- 18th century.
France -- History -- Louis XV, 1715-1774.
Coats of arms.
Satire (document genre)
Manuscripts, French -- 18th century.
- Collection of satirical poems by and about the Régiment de la calotte, a secret society in existence from 1702 to 1734, whose purpose was to mock the folly and corruption of the French court. Most of the poems are titled as Brevets; supposedly conferring membership to the regiment upon the recipient, these satirical poems were distributed throughout Paris to ridicule those named in them. The manuscript shares content with the Mémoires pour servir a l'histoire de la calotte (first edition published in 1725), with footnotes in the printed edition appearing as marginal notes in the manuscript, but the order of items is very different. The names of the targets, which are abbreviated in the versions that appear in the 1752 edition of Mémoires pour servir a l'histoire de la calotte, are written out in full in the manuscript. Most of the content probably comes from the reign of Louis XV, as the occasional dates appearing in the text range from 1716 (f. 295v) to 1725 (f. 265v).
- Ms. codex.
Title from title page (f. ii recto).
Foliation: Paper, 396; [i-iv], 1-338, [339-392] (f. 341-383 and 388-392 are blank), contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Layout: Written in 14 long lines; outer margins defined by folding.
Script: Written in a cursive script, possibly by one hand, with the last item definitely in a different hand (f. 338v-340v).
Decoration: Painted coat of arms of the regiment (f. iii recto).
Binding: 18th-century calf with blind borders and gilt spine, including title Brevets sur la calotte, and marbled endpapers.
Origin: Written in France after 1725 (f. 265v), with one later addition of an item dated 1728 at the end (f. 338v-340v).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Martin and Margy Meyerson Endowment Fund for Special Collections.
- Formerly in the library of Marie-Caroline de Bourbon-Sicile, duchesse de Berry.
Sold at auction at Sotheby's with other items from the library of the duchesse de Berry, 8 June 2011, lot 170.
- Cite as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 1595
- Berry, Marie-Caroline de Bourbon-Sicile, duchesse de, 1798-1870, former owner.
- Web link:
- The Martin and Margy Meyerson Endowment Fund for Special Collections Home Page