This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Vanden-Broeck, J.-M. (Jean-Marc)
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Cambridge monographs on mechanics.
Cambridge monographs on mechanics
xi, 318 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Surface waves -- Mathematical models.
Nonlinear waves -- Mathematical models.
- "Free surface problems occur in many aspects of science and of everyday life such as the waves on a beach, bubbles rising in a glass of champagne, melting ice, pouring flows from a container and sails billowing in the wind. Consequently, the effect of surface tension on gravity-capillary flows continues to be a fertile field of research in applied mathematics and engineering. Concentrating on applications arising from fluid dynamics, Vanden-Broeck draws upon his years of experience in the field to address the many challenges involved in attempting to describe such flows mathematically. Whilst careful numerical techniques are implemented to solve the basic equations, an emphasis is placed upon the reader developing a deep understanding of the structure of the resulting solutions. The author also reviews relevant concepts in fluid mechanics to help readers from other scientific fields who are interested in free boundary problems" --Provided by publisher.
- 1. Introduction
2. Basic concepts
3. Free surface flows which intersect walls
4. Linear free surface flows generated by moving disturbances
5. Nonlinear waves (asymptotic solutions)
6. Numerical computations of nonlinear water waves
7. Nonlinear free surface flows generated by moving disturbances
8. Free surface flows with waves and intersections with rigid walls
9. Waves with constant vorticity
10. Three-dimensional free surface flows
11. Time dependent free surface flows
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 308-317) and index.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund.
- John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund.
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order