Access, holdings & availability
- Akgündüz, Ahmed.
- Standardized title:
- Bilinmeyen Osmanlı. English
- Rotterdam : IUR Press 2011.
694 p. : col. ill. ; 25 cm.
- Turkey -- History -- Ottoman Empire, 1288-1918.
Turkey -- Social conditions -- 1288-1918.
Turkey -- Economic conditions -- 1288-1918.
- This book was first published in Turkish under the title Bilinmeyen Osmanli, co-authored by Prof. Dr. Said Öztürk, and 250,000 copies were printed. He collaborated regarding source details and references as well as tirelessly proofreading and editing the book. In addition, this book was later translated into Arabic; the first edition was published by Osmanli Arastirmalari Vakfi (OSAV), Istanbul, and the second will be published by Dar al-Shouroq in Cairo. The English version of this book has almost become a separate work from the aforementioned versions. Although the main part was translated into English by Ismail Ercan, the book needed a number of improvements and rewriting of some articles after referring to Western sources on the various subjects.
- pt. 1. Political history of the Ottoman state
pt. 2. Social life and ḥarem in the Ottoman state
pt. 3. The Ottoman legal system and state organization
pt. 4. Financial law and economic and commercial life in the Ottoman state.
- Translation of: Bilinmeyen Osmanlı.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -652) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Isaac Norris Library Fund.
- Öztürk, Said.
Isaac Norris Library Fund.
- Web link:
- The Isaac Norris Library Fund Home Page