Access, holdings & availability
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2011.
- International series of monographs on physics (Oxford, England)
International series of monographs on physics
xiii, 450 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Glass -- Microstructure.
- "Most of the solid materials we use in everyday life, from plastics to cosmetic gels exist under a non-crystalline, amorphous form: they are glasses. Yet, we are still seeking a fundamental explanation as to what glasses really are and to why they form. In this book, we survey the most recent theoretical and experimental research dealing with glassy physics, from molecular to colloidal glasses and granular media. Leading experts in this field present broad and original perspectives on one of the deepest mysteries of condensed matter physics, with an emphasis on the key role played by heterogeneities in the dynamics of glassiness"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note:
1. Scientic interview on the glass transition, Jorge Kurchan, James S. Langer, Thomas A. Witten, Peter G. Wolynes
2. An overview of the theories of the glass transition, Gilles Tarjus
3. Overview of different characterisations of dynamic heterogeneity, L. Berthier, G. Biroli, J.-P. Bouchaud, R. L. Jack
4. Glassy dynamics and dynamical heterogeneity in colloids, Luca Cipelletti, Eric R. Weeks
5. Experimental Approaches to Heterogeneous Dynamics, Ranko Richert, Nathan Israeloff, Christiane Alba-Simionesco, Francois Ladieu, Denis L'Hote
6. Dynamical Heterogeneities in Grains and Foams, Olivier Dauchot, Douglas J. Durian, Martin van Hecke
7. The Length Scales of Dynamic Heterogeneity: Results from Molecular Dynamics Simulations, Peter Harrowell
8. Heterogeneities in amorphous systems under shear, Jean-Louis Barrat, Anael Lemaitre
9. The jamming scenario an introduction and outlook, Andrea J. Liu, Sidney R. Nagel, Wim van Saarloos, Matthieu Wyart
10. Kinetically Constrained Models, Juan P. Garrahan, Peter Sollich, Cristina Toninelli
11. Growing length scales in aging systems, Federico Corberi, Leticia F. Cugliandolo, Hajime Yoshino
12. Analytical approaches to time and length scales in models of glasses, Silvio Franz, Guilhem Semerjian.
- Bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Emma Louise McClellan Fund.
- Berthier, Ludovic.
Emma Louise McClellan Fund.
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Emma Louise McClellan Fund Home Page