Access, holdings & availability
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2011.
- Advances in isotope geochemistry.
Advances in isotope geochemistry
2 v. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Environmental geochemistry.
- "Applications of radioactive and stable isotopes have revolutionized our understanding of the Earth and near-earth surface processes. The utility of the isotopes are ever-increasing and our sole focus is to bring out the applications of these isotopes as tracers and chronometers to a wider audience so that they can be used as powerful tools to solve environmental problems. New developments in this field remain mostly in peer-reviewed journal articles and hence our goal is to synthesize these findings for easy reference for students, faculty, regulators in governmental and non-governmental agencies, and environmental companies. While this volume maintains its rigor in terms of its depth of knowledge and quantitative information, it contains the breadth needed for wide variety problems and applications in the environmental sciences. This volume presents all of the newer and older applications of isotopes pertaining to the environmental problems in one place that is readily accessible to readers. This book not only has the depth and rigor that is needed for academia, but it has the breadth and case studies to illustrate the utility of the isotopes in a wide variety of environments (atmosphere, oceans, lakes, rivers and streams, terrestrial environments, and sub-surface environments) and serves a large audience, from students and researchers, regulators in federal, state and local governments, and environmental companies"--Publisher description.
- Part I Introductory Chapters
1."Environmental Isotope Geochemistry": Past, Present and Future
2. An Overview of Isotope Geochemistry in Environmental Studies / Mark Baskaran
3. Humans and Isotopes: Impacts and Tracers of Human Interactions with the Environment / M. Baskaran / D. Porcelli
Part II Isotopes as Tracers of Continental and Aquatic Processes / Karl K. Turekian
4. Lithium Isotopes as Tracers in Marine and Terrestrial Environments / Karl K. Turekian
5. Meteoric 7Be and 10Be as Process Tracers in the Environment / N. Vigier / K.W. Burton
6. Silicon Isotopes as Tracers of Terrestrial Processes / Mark Baskaran / James M. Kaste
7. Calcium Isotopes as Tracers of Biogeochemical Processes / B. Reynolds
8. Natural and Anthropogenic CD Isotope Variations / Donald J. DePaolo / Shaun T. Brown / Laura C. Nielsen / Jennifer L. Druhan / Wenbo Yang
9. Stable Isotopes of Cr and Se as Tracers of Redox Processes in Earth Surface Environments / M. Rehka, F. Wombacher / T.J. Homer / Z. Xue
10. Stable Isotopes of Transition and Post-Transition Metals as Tracers in Environmental Studies / Thomas M. Johnson
11. Applications of Osmium and Iridium as Biogeochemical Tracers in the Environment / Thomas D. Bullen
12. Applications of Stable Mercury Isotopes to Biogeochemistry / Mukul Sharma
13. Thallium Isotopes and Their Application to Problems in Earth and Environmental Science / Joel D. Blum
14. Po-210 in the Environment: Biogeochemical Cycling and Bioavailability / Sune G. Nielsen / Mark Rehka
15. Applications of Groundwater Helium / Thomas M. Church / Tae-Hoon Kim / Guebuem Kim.
16. Applications of Short-Lived Radionuclides (7Be, 210Pb, 210Po, 132Cs and 234Th) to Trace the Sources, Transport Pathways and Deposition of Particles/Sediments in Rivers, Estuaries and Coasts / D.R. Hilton, J.T. Kulongoski
17. Radium Isotope Tracers to Evaluate Coastal Ocean Mixing and Residence Times / M. Baskaran / J. Zhang / J.Z. Du
18. Natural Radium and Radon Tracers to Quantify Water Exchange and Movement in Reservoirs / Z. Liu, P.W. Swarzenski / L. Zhang / J. Zhang
19. Applications of Anthropogenic Radionuclides as Tracers to Investigate Marine Environmental Processes / P.W. Swarzenski / N.T. Dimova / J. Zhang / C.G. Smith
20. Applications of Transuranics as Tracers and Chronometers in the Environment / G.-H. Hong / T.C. Kenna / M. Baskaran / T.F. Hamilton
21. Tracing the Sources and Biogeochemical Cycling of Phosphorus in Aquatic Systems Using Isotopes of Oxygen in Phosphate / Masatoshi Yamada / Jian Zheng / Michael E. Ketterer
22. Isotopic Tracing of Perchlorate in the Environment / Adina Paytan / Karen McLaughlin
23. The Isotopomers of Nitrous Oxide: Analytical Considerations and Application to Resolution of Microbial Production Pathways / Neil C. Sturchio / W. Andrew Jackson / Paul B. Hatzinger / Baohua Gu / John Karl Bo
24. Using Cosmogenic Radionuclides for the Determination of Effective Surface Exposure Age and Time-Averaged Erosion Rates / Nathaniel E. Ostrom / Peggy H. Ostrom
25. Measuring Soil Erosion Rates Using Natural (7Be, 210Pb) and Anthropogenic (137Cs, 239, 240Pu) Radionuclides / D. Lal
26. SR and ND Isotopes as Tracers of Chemical and Physical Erosion / Gerald Matisoff / Peter J. Whiting
27. Constraining Rates of Chemical and Physical Erosion Using U-Series Radionuclides / Sunil Kumar, Singh / S. Krishnaswami / Gyana Ranjan Tripathy
Part III Isotopes as Tracers of Atmospheric Processes / Bernard Bourdon / Nathalie Vigier.
28. Applications of Cosmogenic Isotopes as Atmospheric Tracers / Nathalie Vigier, Bernard Bourdon
29. Uranium, Thorium and Anthropogenic Radionuclides as Atmospheric Tracers / M. Baskaran, D. Lal
30. Oxygen Isotope Dynamics of Atmospheric Nitrate and Its Precursor Molecules / K. Hirose
Part IV Isotopes as Tracers of Environmental Forensics / David F. Mase, Greg Michalski, S.K. Bhattacharya
31. Applications of Stable Isotopes in Hydrocarbon Exploration and Environmental Forensics / David F. Mase, S.K. Bhattacharya, Greg Michalski
32. Utility of Stable Isotopes of Hydrogen and Carbon as Tracers of POPs and Related Polyhalogenated Compounds in the Environment / R. Paul Philp, Guillermo Lo Monaco
Part V Isotopes as Tracers in Archaeology and Anthropology / W. Vetter
33. Light-Element Isotopes (H, C, N, and O) as Tracers of Human Diet: A Case Study on Fast Food Meals / W. Vetter
34. Stable Isotopes of Carbon and Nitrogen as Tracers for Paleo-Diet Reconstruction / Thure E. Cerling, Lesley A. Chesson, James R. Ehleringer
35. Applications of SR Isotopes in Archaeology / M.J. Schoeninger / H.P. Schwartz
36. Sources of Lead and Its Mobility in the Human Body Inferred from Lead Isotopes / N.M. Slovak, A. Paytan
Part VI Isotopes as Tracers of Paleoclimate and Paleoenvironments / Brian L. Gulson
37. Dating of Biogenic and Inorganic Carbonates Using 210Pb-226Ra Disequilibrium Method: A Review / Brian L. Gulson
38. Isotope Dendroclimatology: A Review with a Special Emphasis on Tropics / Mark Baskaran
39. The N, O, S Isotopes of Oxy-Anions in Ice Cores and Polar Environments / R. Ramesh, S.R. Managave
40. Stable Isotopes of N and AR as Tracers to Retrieve Past Air Temperature from Air Trapped in Ice Cores / Joe Savarino / Samuel Morin.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1878 Fund.
- Baskaran, Mark.
Class of 1878 Fund.
- 3642106366 (hardbound : set)
9783642106361 (hardbound : set)
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Class of 1878 Fund Home Page