This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Connect to full text.
Restricted for use by site license.
- Standardized title:
- Oxford digital reference shelf.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2011, c2012.
1 online resource : ill.
- Africa -- Biography -- Dictionaries.
- From the pharaohs to Frantz Fanon, Dictionary of African Biography provides a comprehensive overview of the lives of the men and women who shaped Africa's history. Unprecedented in scale, DAB covers the whole continent from Tunisia to South Africa, from Sierra Leone to Somalia. It also encompasses the full scope of history from Queen Hatsheput of Egypt (1490-1468 BCE) and Hannibal, the military commander and strategist of Carthage (243-183 BCE), to Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana (1909-1972), Miriam Makeba, and Nelson Mandela of South Africa (b. 1918). Subjects are drawn from all walks of life, including philosophers, politicians, activists, entertainers, scholars, poets, scientists, religious figures, kings, and everyday people.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- Akyeampong, Emmanuel Kwaku.
Gates, Henry Louis.
Oxford Reference Online.
Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- Web link:
- The Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order