Access, holdings & availability
- [Issys Moullineaux, France] ; Les Films Alain Sarde ; New York : Distributed by Fox Lorber Home Video, c1998.
1 videodisc (92 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Bereavement -- Drama.
Grief in children -- Drama.
Children and death -- Drama.
Bereavement in children -- Drama.
Children -- France -- Drama.
- Motion pictures, French.
- In French with subtitles in English.
- System details:
- : DVD; NTSC; stereo.
- Ponette is a sad little girl. She has survived a car crash that killed her mother and left her with a broken arm. Her father takes to live with an aunt, who has two children roughly her age, explaining to his tearful, disbelieving daughter that her mother is not coming back. Not understanding the finality of death in an adult way, Ponette wonders why if Jesus gets to rise from the dead, why can't her mother? Thrown into a new environment, however, Ponette begins to heal and grow up in spite of herself. While grappling with confusing religious issues, and trying to understand the meaning of life and death, the film delves into the magical world of a four-year old, where stuffed animals have extraordinary powers, dolls are more than inanimate objects, and God is someone you can talk to and expect an answer from.
Waiting for a miracle
Off to school
Child of God
"Learn to be happy."
- Victoire Thivisol (Ponette), Matiaz Bureau Caton (Matiaz), Delphine Schiltz (Delphine), Léopoldine Serre (Ada), Luckie Royer (Luc), Carla Ibled (Carla), Antoine du Merle (Antoine), Marie Trintignant (la Mère), Claire Nebout (la Tante), Aurélie Vérillon (la fille de l'Internat), Xavier Beauvois (le Père).
- Image [photography], Caroline Champetier ; montage [editor], Jacqueline Lecompte ; musique, Philippe Sarde ; subtitles, Andrew Litvack.
- Originally released as a 1996 motion picture.
Originally produced as a French motion picture in 1996.
Special features: Trailer (3 min.); Production credits [text feature]; Filmographies & awards [text feature].
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Tobias Wagner Library Fund.
- Sarde, Alain, 1952- , Producer
Doillon, Jacques, 1944- , Screenwriter, Director
Thivisol, Victoire, 1992- , Actor
Caton, Matiaz Bureau. , Actor
Schiltz, Delphine. , Actor
Serre, Leópoldine. , Actor
Trintignant, Marie, 1962-2003. , Actor
Nebout, Claire. , Actor
Beauvois, Xavier. , Actor
Sarde, Philippe. , Composer
Films Alain Sarde (Firm) , Producer
Rhône-Alpes cinéma (Firm) , Producer
Centre national de la cinématographie (France) , Producer
Studio Canal+. , Producer
Fox Lorber Home Video (Firm) , Distributor
Tobias Wagner Library Fund.
- 1572522747 :
- Publisher no.:
FLV5024 Fox Lorber Home Video
- Web link:
- The Tobias Wagner Library Fund Home Page