Access, holdings & availability
- Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Media, culture, and social change in Asia series ; 27.
Media, culture and social change in Asia ; 27
xii, 221 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Motion pictures -- Southeast Asia -- History and criticism.
Culture in motion pictures.
- Introduction: Southeast Asian film as a site of cultural interpretation and social intervention / David C. L. Lim
From contested histories to ethnic tourism: cinematic representations of shans and shanland on the Burmese silver screen / Jane M. Ferguson
Toward a Laotian independent cinema? / Panivong Norindr
Screening the crisis of monetary masculinity in Rithy Panh's One night after the war and burnt theater / Boreth Ly
When memories collide: revisiting war in Vietnam and the diaspora / Vo Hong Chuong-Dai
Malay(sian) patriotic films as racial crisis and intervention / David C.L. Lim
"Our people": telemovies, bangsa and nationalism 3.0 in Sabah, Malaysia / Hiroyuki Yamamoto
The hero in passage: the Chinese and the activist youth in Riri Riza's Gie / Abidin Kusno
Alternative vision in neoliberal Singapore: memories, places, and voices in the films of Tan Pin Pin / Kenneth Paul Tan
Documentary filmmaking, civil activism, and the new media in Singapore: the case of Martyn See as citizen journalist / Yasuko Hassall Kobayashi
Cinema and state in crisis: political film collectives and people's struggle in the Philippines / Rolando B. Tolentino
Nostalgic parodies and migrant ironies in two Thai comedy films / Pattana Kitiarsa.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Jacobs Family Cinema Studies Fund.
- Lim, David C. L.
Jacobs Family Cinema Studies Fund.
9780415617635 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Jacobs Family Cinema Studies Fund Home Page