This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Fabietti, Ugo, 1950-
- Bern ; New York : P. Lang, 2011.
- Middle East, social and cultural studies.
Middle East, social and cultural studies = Études culturelles et sociales sur le Moyen Orient.
VIII, 142, A-15 p. : ill., maps ; 22 cm.
- Ethnology -- Pakistan -- Balochistān.
Balochistān (Pakistan) -- Ethnic relations.
Balochistān (Pakistan) -- Social life and customs.
Balochistān (Pakistan) -- Politics and government.
- "This book is the result of a field research carried out by the author among a community of agriculturists in what was till recently the uttermost part of Southern Pakistani Balochistan. It deals with themes such as ways of living and representing spaces, constructing memory, the heritage of a form of social stratifiation which shaped community relationships in the last three centuries, and, last but not least, the insurgence of nationalism. Furthermore, the book puts forward some theoretical proposals about the translation of cultural "models", throughout a constant comparison between the author's and his interlocutors', alternating ethno-graphic "descriptions" with reflxive arguments. Notwithstanding its remoteness, Balochistan is today at the conflence of forces which reflct both local and "global" logics, pushing this land, once only visited by few adventurous travelers, in the focus of international interests which could impinge on political evolution of this sensitive area straddling South Asia and Middle East."--Publisher's description.
- Spaces and places
Time and water
Equality and hierarchy
History and models
Blood and force
Nation and memory.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Dr. Craig Baxter Memorial Fund.
- Dr. Craig Baxter Memorial Fund.
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Dr. Craig Baxter Memorial Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order