This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Other title:
- Reflections on the study of monasticism in the central Middle Ages
Réflexions sur l'étude du monachisme au moyen âge central
- Leuven : Leuven University Press, c2011.
- Mediaevalia Lovaniensia ; 42.
Mediaevalia Lovaniensia ; 42
215 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- Monasticism and religious orders -- History -- Middle Ages, 600-1500 -- Congresses.
- Chiefly French; includes two contributions in English.
- The role of monastic institutions in society during the Central Middle Ages has been much debated in medieval studies. Some scholars saw monasticism as the principal motivator of economic, social, intellectual and spiritual' progress in human society, while others regarded monastic ideology as fundamentally anti-social and oriented towards itself. Today monasticism is studied as a social entity which needed interactions with the outside world, not only to subsist in a physical sense, but also to give a clear sense of purpose to its members. This volume seeks to identify some of the major questions that will dominate research into monasticism in the years to come. Contributions deal with the evolution of monasticism itself, its links with aristocracy, the economic relations of religious communities and their physical and ideological bounderies, and the representation of the outside world in monastic manuscripts.
- Les moines et leur vie communautaire du IXe au XIIe siècle / Isabelle Rosé
Monachisme et aristocratie aux Xe-XIe siècles / Florian Mazel
Société seigneuriale, réformes ecclésiales / Nicholas Ruffini & Jean-François Nieus
Communautés religieuses bénédictine et environnement économique, IXe-XIIe siècles / Alexis Wilkin
Les communautés religieuses du Moyen Age central et la recherche des réformes monastiques en Allemagne / Harald Sellner
Inside and outside : some considerations about cloistral boundaries in the Central Middle Ages / Gert Melville
The monastic world view in the artistic tradition / Diane Reilly.
- Rev. version of papers originally presented at a symposium held Oct. 23, 2008 at the Catholic University of Leuven.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Edwin E. Aubrey Memorial Fund.
- Vanderputten, Steven.
Edwin E. Aubrey Memorial Fund.
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Edwin E. Aubrey Memorial Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order