Access, holdings & availability
- Hathi Trust Digital Library Connect to full text
- Raleigh, Walter, Sir, 1552?-1618.
- Standardized title:
- Other title:
- Arts of empire and mysteries of state
Arts of empire
- [London] : Published by John Milton, Esq., 1697.
, 238,  p. ; 17 cm. (8vo)
- init e.o- s.s, Giof (3) 1697 (A)
- Political science -- Early works to 1800.
Monarchy -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- An edition, edited by John Milton, of: Raleigh, Sir Walter. The cabinet-council.
Although Milton believed that the manuscript he edited was by Raleigh, the attribution is doubtful. Cf. William Riley Parker, "Milton", p. 516-517 and Shawcross, 256.York, 1940. v.3, p. 843-844.
A reissue, with cancel title page, of "The arts of empire and mysteries of state" of 1692 (Wing R155). In the reissue catalogued here, only the title page is cancelled. In another issue, all of quire A is cancelled and replaced by a cancel title page with identical title to this one. Cf. Shawcross, 391, 392. In the issue catalogued here, B1 is a cancel (chain lines are horizontal).
Title within double line border.
Caption title: The arts of empire and mysteries of state.
Running title; Arts of empire
With a final advertisement leaf (Q8).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the William J. and Irma S. Roach Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Richard L. Sperry, WG'67, Endowment for Rare Books and Manuscripts Collections.
- Twysden, Heneage (armorial bookplate)
Twysden, Anne. (autograph)
Chapman, F. H. (stamp, 1880)
- Cited in:
- ESTC R226476
Shawcross, J. Milton, 391
- Milton, John, 1608-1674.
William J. and Irma S. Roach Fund.
Richard L. Sperry, WG'67, Endowment for Rare Books and Manuscripts Collections.
- Web link:
- The William J. and Irma S. Roach Fund Home Page
The Richard L. Sperry, WG'67, Endowment for Rare Books and Manuscripts Collections Home Page