This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Fiorentini, Francesco Maria, 1603-1673.
- In Lucca : Appresso Pellegrino Bidelli, MDCXXXXII 
, 355,  170,  p. : ill. ; 21 cm. (4to)
- de'e i.e- o?am tene (3) 1642 (R)
- Matilde, di Canossa, contessa, 1046-1115.
- Place of Publication:
- Italy Lucca.
- Signatures: [dagger]⁴ A-2V⁴ 2X⁶, ²A-²V⁴ X⁶ Y-Z⁴.
Added engraved title leaf.
Woodcut illustrations and initials.
Text and printed marginalia within ruled borders.
Errata on leaf ²X6r.
Matilda, Countess of Tuscany, has long been identified as the Matelda with whom Dante speaks in canto XXXIII of the Purgatorio. Cf. B. Reynolds, Dante : the poet, the political thinker, the man (Emeryville, CA: Shoemaker & Hoard, 2006), p. 317-322.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Dante and Tasso Library Fund.
Penn Libraries copy has partially illegible ms. inscription ("D[ona]to[?] dal Barone di Watevile[?] al Marchese Vercelino Maria Visconte") recording the gift of this book to Vercellino Maria Visconti (1630-1679) and ms. shelf-mark ("H.2.") in brown ink on verso of front free endpaper.
Penn Libraries copy has small round armorial stamp ("RACCOLTA TRIVULZIANA") of the Biblioteca trivulziana, Milan, Italy, on front free endpaper (with duplicate stamp in blue ink) and leaves B3r, G1r, M3r, Q3r, V2r, 2A1r (with duplicate stamp in blue ink), 2E4r, 2L2r, 2P2r, 2S4r, ²A2r, ²F2r, ²K4r, ²O2r, ²T4r, and ²Z4r (with duplicate stamp in blue ink); duplicate stamp alone on verso of back free endpaper.
Penn Libraries copy bound in full contemporary parchment; ms. shelf-mark(?) ("F/70") on left board; effaced ms. spine title.
Penn Libraries copy has stamped shelf-mark ("H 2393") on front free endpaper.
Penn Libraries copy: leaves intermittently dampstained in fore-edge margin.
- Visconti, Vercellino Maria (former owner) (inscription)
Watevile(?), Baron de (inscription)
- Dante and Tasso Library Fund.
- Web link:
- The Dante and Tasso Library Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order