Access, holdings & availability
- Stow, John, 1525?-1605.
- Other title:
- Svmmarie of the chronicles of England, from the first arriuing of Brute in this island, vnto this present yeere of Christ,
Summarie of the chronicles of England, from the first arriving of Brute in this island, unto this present yeere of Christ, 1590
- Imprinted at London : By Ralph Newbery, Anno Domini 1590.
, 760,  p. ; 17 cm. (8vo)
- thnd s.he ashe wasi (3) 1590 (A)
- Great Britain -- History -- To 1485 -- Early works to 1800.
Great Britain -- History -- 1485-1603 -- Early works to 1800
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- The summary was first published in 1565 as A summarie of Englyshe chronicles (STC (2nd ed.) 23325.4).
Signatures: A-Y⁸ Aa-Yy⁸ Aaa-Eee⁸.
Various errors in pagination.
Title within woodcut border (McKerrow & Ferguson, 146(b)); woodcut initials and tail-pieces.
Errata on leaf A8r.
"Formerly STC 23327. Identified as STC 23327 on UMI microfilm reel 1586."--ESTC.
Identified as Early English books, 1475-1640; 1586:13, 1803:53 on UMI microfilm.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the M. A. Shaaber Fund.
Penn Libraries copy has armorial bookplate ("Henry Edward Bunbury") of Sir Henry Edward Bunbury, 7th Baronet, on front pastedown; bookplate with crest of Henry J.B. Clements on front free endpaper.
Penn Libraries copy has ms. shelf-mark ("H-5") on front pastedown; ms. provenance note ("Bt. at sale of Bunbury Lib. at Sothebys. July 7th 1896.") on verso of front free endpaper; ms. bibliographical and historical notes in pencil on first blank leaf at beginning of volume, last blank leaf at end of volume and back free endpaper; ms. notes in pencil regarding arms in woodcut title border on verso of blank leaf preceding title leaf; early ms. correction to text on leaf Hh8r.
Penn Libraries copy bound in full 19th-century calf; boards tooled in blind; blind-tooled spine panels; brief title ("STOW'S CHRONICLES") and imprint ("LONDON 1590.") stamped in gold on spine; gold-tooled cover edges and turn-ins; all edges gilt.
Penn Libraries copy: leaf F8 has small burn hole in lower portion of leaf; many leaves dampstained at head outer corner.
- Bunbury, Henry, Sir, 1778-1860 (bookplate)
Clements, Henry J. B. (Henry John Beresford), 1869-1940 (bookplate)
- Cited in:
- ESTC S111745
STC (2nd ed.), 23325.2
Folger. Printed books, 25:476
Read, C. Bib. of British history 1485-1603, no. 317
- Newbery, Ralph, d. 1604, printer.
STC Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Rosengarten Family Fund.
M. A. Shaaber Fund.
- Web link:
- The Rosengarten Family Fund Home Page
The M. A. Shaaber Fund Home Page