This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Dordrecht ; London : Springer, c2012.
xiv, 351 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Crime -- Case studies.
Fear of crime -- Case studies.
Cities and towns -- Social aspects -- Case studies.
Sociology, Urban -- Case studies.
- "How does the city's urban fabric relate to crime and fear, and how is that fabric affected by crime and fear? Does the urban environment affect one's decision to commit an offence? Is there a victimisation-related inequality within cities? How do crime and fear interrelate to inequality and segregation in cities of developing countries? What are the challenges to planning cities which are both safe and sustainable? This book searches for answers to these questions in the nature of the city, particularly in the social interactions that take place in urban space distinctively guided by different land uses and people's activities. In other words, the book deals with the urban fabric of crime and fear. The novelty of the book is to place safety and security issues on the urban scale by (1) showing links between urban structure, and crime and fear, (2) illustrating how different disciplines deal with urban vulnerability to (and fear of) crime (3) including concrete examples of issues and challenges found in European and North American cities, and, without being too extensive, also in cities of the Global South." -- Publisher's website.
- The urban fabric of crime and fear. Part 1: Placing fear on the urban scale. Urban security: whose security? everyday responses
to urban fears
Urban fear and its roots in place. Part 2: Micro-urban environments of crime and fear. Safe on the move: the importance of the built environment
Safety in numbers: high-resolution analysis of crime in street networks. Part 3: Crime, fear of crime in neighborhoods and their effects. Ecological analysis of urban offence and offender data
Tracking social life and crime
Acts of vandalism and fear in neighborhoods: do they affect housing prices?. Part 4: THe context of crime and fear in cities of global south. Turf war in Rio de Janeiro: youth, drug traffic, guns and hyper-masculinity
Reconsidering crime and urban fortification in South Africa. Part 5: Actions for safe urban environments. Community, security and distributive justice
Is Hammarby Sjöstad a model case? crime prevention through environmental design in Stockholm, Sweden
An international perspective of the gender dimension in planning for urban safety.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Lipman Criminology Library Fund.
- Ceccato, Vania.
Lipman Criminology Library Fund.
- 9789400742093 (hbk.)
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Lipman Criminology Library Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order