Access, holdings & availability
- Goldner, Stephanie, 1895-1962, compiler.
- Goldner, Stephanie.
Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra.
Ormandy, Eugene, 1899-1985.
- In English, German, and French.
- Stephanie Goldner was a harpist and the first wife of conductor Eugene Ormandy. She was born in Vienna, Austria to a Jewish family; studied at the Royal Academy of Music; in 1921 became the first woman hired by the New York Philharmonic; married Eugene Ormandy in 1922 and divorced in 1947; played in the orchestra in two Lerner-Lowe musicals in the 1950s; and died in California of pancreatic cancer.
- A small collection of letters, miscellaneous items (programs, concert tickets), and photographs documenting Eugene Ormandy and Stephanie Goldner. Letters include items by Ormandy or Stephanie Goldner written from a variety of locations including Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Hamburg, Germany; Birmingham, Alabama; Detroit, Michigan; and Stobl, Austria. The preponderance of black-and-white photographic prints depict Ormandy; several depict Stephanie Goldner.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
- Sold by Doris Balant, 2013.
- Ormandy, Eugene, 1899-1985.
Rosengarten Family Fund.
- Web link:
- The Rosengarten Family Fund Home Page