This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Connect to full text
Restricted for use by site license.
- Edin, Kathryn, 1962-
- [New ed.]
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2011.
1 online resource (xii, 293 p.) : ill.
- Unmarried mothers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Low-income single mothers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Local subjects:
- Low-income single mothers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Unmarried mothers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Electronic books.
- Millie Acevedo bore her first child before the age of 16 and dropped out of high school to care for her newborn. Now 27, she is the unmarried mother of three and is raising her kids in one of Philadelphia's poorest neighborhoods. Would she and her children be better off if she had waited to have them and had married their father first? Why do so many poor American youth like Millie continue to have children before they can afford to take care of them? Over a span of five years, sociologists Kathryn Edin and Maria Kefalas talked in-depth with 162 low-income single moms like Millie to learn how.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 249-285) and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the J. Fithian Tatem Memorial Fund.
- Kefalas, Maria.
J. Fithian Tatem Memorial Fund.
- Other format:
- Print version: Edin, Kathryn, 1962- Promises I can keep.
- 9780520950689 (electronic bk.)
0520950682 (electronic bk.)
- Web link:
- The J. Fithian Tatem Memorial Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order