Access, holdings & availability
- Reisch, Alfred A. (Alfred Alexander), 1931-
- Budapest ; New York : Central European University Press, 2013.
xxviii, 549 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Books and reading -- Europe, Eastern -- History -- 20th century.
Books and reading -- Communist countries -- History -- 20th century.
Book distribution programs.
Publishers and publishing -- Political aspects.
Censorship -- Europe, Eastern -- History -- 20th century.
Censorship -- Communist countries -- History -- 20th century.
- Origins, objectives, and launching of the book project under Sam Walker
Titles, contents, numbers, targets, and aims of the mailings
The man in the grey suit : George C. Minden and his concept of cultural and ideological competition
The New York Book Center : books, books, and more books
The book project reaches new heights : the golden age of the 1960s
Western and émigré books and periodicals published with covert support
New opportunities through East-West contacts
The early 1970s : the international advisory council
A lasting enemy
The communist regimes on the defensive : criticisms, warnings, and attacks
The person-to-person distribution program : a direct way to reach East Europeans, the early Polish program 1958-1959
Another vehicle for reaching the people of eastern Europe : the person-to-person distribution program and personalized mailings
The most important book distribution point : Vienna
Letters from Poland, the crucial country
Letters from Czechoslovakia before and after 1968
Letters from Hungary under goulash communism
Letters from Romania under the Ceausescu regime
Letters from Bulgaria despite very strict censorship
The last seventeen years : International Literary Centre, Ltd., East Europe, and the USSR.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Phi Beta Kappa Library Trust Fund.
- Phi Beta Kappa Library Trust Fund.
- Web link:
- The Phi Beta Kappa Library Trust Fund Home Page