This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Connect to full text
Restricted for use by site license.
- Richards, Robert J. (Robert John), 1942-
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, c2002.
- Science and its conceptual foundations.
Science and its conceptual foundations
1 online resource (xix, 587 p.) : ill. (some col.)
- Romanticism -- Germany.
German literature -- 18th century -- History and criticism.
German literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
Literature and science -- Germany.
- Introduction : A most happy encounter
pt. 1. The early Romantic movement in literature, philosophy, and science. The early Romantic movement
Schelling : the poetry of nature
Denouement : farewell to Jena
pt. 2. Scientific foundations of the Romantic conception of life. Early theories of development : Blumenbach and Kant
Kielmeyer and the organic powers of nature
Johann Christian Reil's Romantic theories of life and mind, or rhapsodies on a cat-piano
Schelling's dynamic evolutionism
Conclusion : Mechanism, teleology, and evolution
pt. 3. Goethe, a genius for poetry, morphology, and women. The erotic authority of nature
Goethe's scientific revolution
Conclusion : The history of a life in art and science
pt. 4. Epilogue. The Romantic conception of life
Darwin's Romantic biology.
- Description based on print version record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 555-571) and index.
Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. Available via World Wide Web.
Description based on print version record.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Department of Germanic Languages Book Fund.
- ebrary, Inc.
Department of Germanic Languages Book Fund.
- 0226712184 (electronic bk.)
9780226712185 (electronic bk.)
0226712109 (alk. paper)
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Department of Germanic Languages Book Fund Home Page