Access, holdings & availability
- Africa, French-speaking West -- Pictorial works.
Gao (Mali) -- Pictorial works.
Indochina -- Pictorial works.
France -- Pictorial works.
- Aerial photographs.
Manuscripts, French -- 20th century.
- In French.
- Comprises 118 black-and-white aerial photographs taken by French military air squadrons (escadrilles) from 1932 to 1936. The photographs were most likely taken for reconnaissance purposes. A majority of the photographs have captions on them identifying place, squadron, date, sometimes the last name of the pilot, and possibly the photographer. Images taken by Escadrille No. 2 are of French Indochina and chiefly of areas in Vietnam, dated 1933. Images captioned Afrique occidentale française (French West Africa) were taken by Escadrille No. 3 and range in date from 1932 to 1934. Many of the photographs of West Africa were taken of Gao, Timbuktu, and Niger River in Mali and indicate that the photographer was someone with the last name Turpin. Some photographs are of Senegal and of coast of Lake Dendaré in Mauritania. The photographs include military installations, buildings, and locations to place pumps for future water supplies. There are images of landscapes, crowds of people, nomads, and herds of elephants and buffaloes. There are twelve aerial photographs dated 1935 and 1936 taken of North Eastern France. The photographs of France have hand-written notations on the back. Some of the images of France include Dampierre-Saint Nicolas. The images are not in chronological order and are chiefly grouped by place. The sizes of the photographs vary with the largest measuring 9 1/4 x 6 3/4 inches and the smallest measuring 5 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Edward W. Lanius Book Fund for Romance Language Collections.
- Sold by Voyager Press Rare Books & Manuscripts (West Vancouver, British Columbia), 2013.
- Rosengarten Family Fund.
Edward W. Lanius Book Fund for Romance Language Collections.
- Web link:
- The Rosengarten Family Fund Home Page
The Edward W. Lanius Book Fund for Romance Language Collections Home Page