This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Connect to full text.
Restricted for use by site license.
- Kruttschnitt, Candace.
- Cambridge, UK. ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Cambridge studies in criminology (Cambridge University Press)
Cambridge studies in criminology
1 online resource (xiii, 200 p.) : ill.
- Women prisoners -- California.
Female offenders -- California.
Criminal justice, Administration of -- California.
- Electronic books.
- "In recent decades, the nature of criminal punishment has undergone profound change in the United States. This case study
of women serving time in California in the 1960s and 1990s examines two key points in this recent history. The authors begin
with a look at imprisonment at the California Institution for Women in the early 1960s, when the rehabilitative model dominated
official discourse. To this they compare women's experiences in the 1990s, at the California Institution for Women and the
Valley State Prison for Women, when the recent "get tough" era was near its peak.
Drawing on archival data. interviews, and surveys, their analysis considers the relationships among official philosophies and practices of imprisonment, women's responses to the prison regime, and relations between women prisoners. The experiences of women prisoners reflected the transformations Americans have witnessed in punishment over recent decades, but they also mirrored the deprivations and restrictions of imprisonment that seem to transcend time and place."--BOOK JACKET.
- Women, crime and punishment in California
Entering the prisons : methods
Women's experiences of imprisonment at the California Institution for Women in the 1960s and the 1990s
Variations across time and place in women's prison experiences
Negotiating prison life: how women 'did time' in the punitive era of the 1990s
Conclusion: The spectrum of women prisoners' experiences.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 173-187) and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Albert E. Visk, W'28, Memorial Book Fund.
- Gartner, Rosemary, 1952-
Cambridge Books Online.
Albert E. Visk, W'28, Memorial Book Fund.
- Other format:
- Print version: Kruttschnitt, Candace. Marking time in the Golden State.
- 0511081154 (electronic bk.)
9780511081156 (electronic bk.)
9780511614033 (electronic bk.)
0511614039 (electronic bk.)
- Web link:
- The Albert E. Visk, W'28, Memorial Book Fund Home Page