Access, holdings & availability
- Connect to full text.
Restricted for use by site license.
- Aaronson, Scott.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
1 online resource (pages cm.)
- Quantum theory -- Mathematics.
- Local subjects:
- Quantum computers.
Quantum theory -- Mathematics.
- Electronic books.
- Preface; A Critical Review of Scott Aaronson's quantum computing since democritus; Now for the actual preface; What's new; Acknowledgments; 1 Atoms and the void; 2 Sets; Rules of first-order logic; Peano axioms for the nonnegative integers; Axioms of set theory; 3 Gödel, Turing, and friends; Turing machines; Bonus addendum; Exercise; Further reading; 4 Minds and machines; Puzzles; Answers to exercise from last chapter; 5 Paleocomplexity; Further reading; Puzzle 1 from last chapter; Puzzle 2 from last chapter; 6 P, NP, and friends; Petting zoo; Problem set; 7 Randomness; Puzzles.
- "Written by noted quantum computing theorist Scott Aaronson, this book takes readers on a tour through some of the deepest
ideas of maths, computer science and physics. Full of insights, arguments and philosophical perspectives, the book covers
an amazing array of topics. Beginning in antiquity with Democritus, it progresses through logic and set theory, computability
and complexity theory, quantum computing, cryptography, the information content of quantum states and the interpretation of
quantum mechanics. There are also extended discussions about time travel, Newcomb's Paradox, the anthropic principle and the
views of Roger Penrose. Aaronson's informal style makes this fascinating book accessible to readers with scientific backgrounds,
as well as students and researchers working in physics, computer science, mathematics and philosophy"-- Provided by publisher.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Carrie A. Humphrey Memorial Fund.
- Cambridge Books Online.
Carrie A. Humphrey Memorial Fund.
- Other format:
- Print version: Aaronson, Scott. Quantum computing since Democritus.
- 9781107313842 (electronic bk.)
1107313848 (electronic bk.)
9780511979309 (electronic bk.)
0511979304 (electronic bk.)
- Web link:
- The Carrie A. Humphrey Memorial Fund Home Page