LJS 46 - Herbal ... [etc.]
Information about this record
Herbal ... [etc.] [manuscript].
[Italy and England, ca. 1520, ca. 1600]
102 leaves : paper, col. ill. ; 302 x 205 mm. (f. 2-53) and 290 x 205 (265 x 145) mm. (f. 1, 54-104) bound to 307 x 215 mm. + 2 notes.
Plant names in Latin, with a few words in Italian (f. 2r-53v); texts about Morocco in English, Spanish, and Latin (54r-97v); glossary of words in Arabic, Spanish, and Latin (f. 98r-101r).
Italian illustrated herbal, with a group of texts in English, Latin, and Spanish about Morocco added less than a century later.
1. f.1r: Dictionarium arabicum, Numerorum nomina.
2. f.1v: [Botanical sketches in ink]
3. f.2r-53v: Herbal.
4. f.54r-70r: [Notes on the plants of Morocco and their uses]
5. f.72r-v: [Names of cities, towns and mountains in the provinces of Fez, Tremecen, and Tunis]
6. f.73r-78v: Reyno de maruecos / P. Marmol.
7. f.82r-86r: The regid of Morocus [Spanish with English title]
8. f.87r-88r: The regid of Morocus [English]
9. f.89r-90r: The citty of Morocus, Customes of the citty of Morocus.
10. f.90v-91r: Customes, estates, and offices of the court of Mulley Hamed [Muley Muhamed, d. 1603]
11. f.92r-97r: The towne of Altamimay.
12. f.97v: [Index to the notes on the plants of Morocco]
13. f.98r-101r: Nomina substantiva [glossary in Latin, Spanish, and Arabic]
Formerly owned by the Latham family of Lancashire (crest of eagle and child on covers) and by Thomas and Edward Syddell (16th-century inscription, f. 1r).
Sold at auction at Bonhams, Dec. 1995.
Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, June 1996.
Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle in honor of Lynn Ransom, Project Manager, Schoenberg Database of Manuscripts, 2012.
Syddell, Thomas, former owner.
Syddell, Edward, former owner.
Materia medica - Early works to 1800.
Botany, Medical - Early works to 1800.
Botany - Pictorial works - Early works to 1800.
Morocco - Description and travel - Early works to 1800.
|Form / Genre:||
Manuscripts, Italian - 16th century.
Manuscripts, English - 16th century.
Manuscripts, English - 17th century.
Title from spine.
Collation: Paper, ii + 102 + ii; 1¹ 2²⁸ 3²⁴ 4⁴⁴ 5⁸; [1-53], 1-17 [=54-70], [71-102]; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
Script: Written in italic script, by at least two hands (f. 2-53, and f. 1, 54-101).
Decoration: 110 colored wash drawings of plants with roots and flowers (f. 2-53).
Binding: Parchment contemporary with later texts, gilt, with stamp of eagle and child on covers; remnants of 2 pairs of green silk ties; title (Herbal) written on spine in ink.
Origin: Herbal illustrated in Italy, ca. 1520 (f. 2r-53v); texts on Morocco written in England, ca. 1600 (f. 1r-v, 54r-101r).
|Indexed / Referenced in:||
Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 106 (LJS 46).
UPenn LJS 46
Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts University of Pennsylvania LJS 46