PACSCL Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

PACSCL Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls records

1857-1948, 4.75 linear feet

14

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Germantown Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Germantown Historical Society
Creator:
Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls.
Title:
Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls records
Date [inclusive]:
1857-1948
Call Number:
14
Extent:
4.75 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
4 records cartons, 2 document boxes, and 3 loose volumes
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls was established in Philadelphia in 1882 for orphaned daughters of soldiers, firemen, and others sacrificed for the public benefit. In 1888, Foulke and Long merged with the Industrial Home for the Training of Girls in the Arts of Housewifery and Sewing. Foulke and Long moved to the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia in 1913, where it remained until the institute merged with the Youth Study Center of Philadelphia in 1960. The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls records, 1857-1948, are primarily comprised of administrative, financial, and pupil records for the Foulke and Long Institute, with some materials from the Industrial Home for Girls. There are Admission and Dismission Committee records, meeting minutes, account books and ledgers, and many other document types.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls was founded by Mill Eleanor Parker Long (d.1882). "Apparently the first activity was in 1796 but it was not until 1882 that the Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls was incorporated. Apparently it was to provide in Philadelphia for the 'orphan children of soldiers who served in the late civil war in the defense of their country, and for the orphan children of firemen of the said city whose lives have been or may be sacrificed for the public benefit and in the discharge of their duties.'

"Originally the institute was located at 12th and Arch Streets. It was removed from time to time to various addresses and in 1913 made its final move to the building at 607 Church Lane in Germantown. The institute merged with the Youth Study Center of Philadelphia in 1960..."

Bibliography:

Saylor, Judge Harold D. "The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls."

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of administrative, financial, and pupil records for Foulke and Long Institute, and for the Industrial Home for Girls.

The Industrial Home for Girls, also known as the Industrial Home for the Training of Girls in the Arts of Housewifery and Sewing, began in 1859 and merged with the Foulke and Long Institute in 1888. These records include pupil histories and biographies, annual report books, expense books, a book of indentures, Board minutes, committee meeting reports, records from the Committee on Admission and Dismission, and a book of letters, 1857-1882.

The financial records of Foulke and Long Institute include account books and ledgers, 1879-1932; annual treasurer's reports, 1912-1948; and Superintendent's petty cash book and record of bills sent to treasurer, 1934-1944. There are also loose financial records, correspondence, receipts, and expenses.

The pupil records of Foulke and Long Institute include records of students, 1857-1872; address books, 1898-1906; and Admission and Dismission Committee records (1887-1916) and private notes (1889-1903).

The administrative records of Foulke and Long Institute include meeting minutes, 1886-1915; Executive Committee meeting minutes, 1887-1915; and lists of Board members and alumni. There are also charter and annual reports, 1859-1898; building specifications, 1899; closing exercises, 1897-1914; and correspondence, 1892-1898.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Germantown Historical Society

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Germantown Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls.
  • Industrial Home for Girls (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Geographic Name(s)
  • Germantown (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • Education
  • Home economics
  • Occupational training
  • Orphanages
  • Women in education

Return to Top »