Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Octave Club of Norristown records

1921-1996, 7 linear feet

39

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Montgomery County. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Historical Society of Montgomery County
Creator:
Octave Club of Norristown.
Title:
Octave Club of Norristown records
Date [inclusive]:
1921-1996
Call Number:
39
Extent:
7 Linear feet
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Octave Club of Norristown was founded in 1916 as a women's chorus. The organization quickly expanded to include various other forms of music and education. The Octave Club of Norristown closed in 2009, but the Junior Octave Club was still active as of 2012. The Octave Club of Norristown records, 1921-1966, are comprised of administrative and financial records, as well as scrapbooks and ephemera.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

"The Octave Club of Norristown was founded in 1916 by Marion G. Spangler of Collegeville, Pennsylvania. She was an instrumentalist, singer, teacher, choral director, and the granddaughter of the founder of Ursinus College.

"The club began as a women's chorus, but quickly expanded to study various aspects of music, using the talents of members to lecture and perform in ensembles or as soloists to illustrate the topic of the program.

"Subsidiary groups such as the Past Presidents Assembly, the Musicians Club, the Women's Chorus, and the Junior Octave Club were formed. Awards and scholarships for young musicians were instituted and a piano and violin competition for Junior High School age students was established."

The Octave Club of Norristown closed in 2009, but the Junior Octave Club was still active as of 2012.

Bibliography:

Quoted material from: The Octave Club of Norristown. "History." Accessed March 7, 2012. http://www.octaveclub.com/

Scope and Contents

This collection is comprised of administrative and financial records, as well as scrapbooks and ephemera of the club. The administrative records include: board minutes (1959-1977); miscellaneous correspondence, forms, flyers, etc.; and member lists, circa 1980s-1990s. The financial records include treasurer's reports, bank statements, check stubs, and a dues book (circa 1976-1983). The scrapbooks are rich with photos, ephemera, clippings, and some original documents, 1931-1992. There are additional photographs, circa 1920s-1930, as well as programs and some other ephemera. Several of the scrapbooks are related to the Junior Octave Club (1972-1992), and there are additional loose programs and flyers of the Junior Octave Club, circa 1985, as well.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Historical Society of Montgomery County

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Historical Society of Montgomery County for information about accessing this collection.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Octave Club of Norristown.
Geographic Name(s)
  • Montgomery County (Pa.)
  • Norristown (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • Choirs (Music)
  • Choral societies

Return to Top »