Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Rehoboth Methodist Episcopal Church records

1832-2007, 3 linear feet

12

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
Creator:
Rehoboth Methodist Episcopal Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Title:
Rehoboth Methodist Episcopal Church records
Date [inclusive]:
1832-2007
Call Number:
12
Extent:
3 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
7 boxes, 2 volumes, 1 folder
Language:
English
Abstract:
Rehoboth Methodist Episcopal Church in the Frankford Section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is known as the "mother church" of Frankford Methodism. It traces its roots to the first "Methodist Society" in the community, established in 1829. In 2001, Rehoboth merged into Central United Methodist Church, which closed in 2005. The Rehoboth Methodist Episcopal Church records, 1832-2007, include financial records, membership and cemetery records, class lists, board and trustee minutes, anniversary materials, worship bulletins, newsletters, photographs, ephemera, and various other documents. Some materials have been microfilmed and are available at other repositories.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Methodism is a protestant Christian faith based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), who preached "practical divinity," emphasis on Christian living, and putting faith and love into action. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784 in Baltimore, Maryland with Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke as its first bishops and held its first general conference in 1792. In May of 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church; the Methodist Episcopal Church, South; and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). In 1946 the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New constitution) and the Evangelical Church united to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Methodist Church (U.S.) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united, forming the United Methodist Church (U.S.).

Rehoboth Methodist Episcopal Church in the Frankford Section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is known as the "mother church" of Frankford Methodism. It traces its roots to the first "Methodist Society" in the community, consisting of thirty congregants under the ministry of two traveling preachers when established in 1829. Originally part of the Bristol Circuit, then the Germantown Circuit, the congregation became the self-sustaining Methodist Episcopal Church of Frankford in 1833. The name Rehoboth was adopted several years later. The congregation was also known as the Paul Street Church, because its 1834 church building was located on Paul Street above Torresdale Avenue. In 2001 the church merged into Frankford Central United Methodist Church, which closed in 2005.

Scope and Contents

The collection includes financial records, membership and cemetery records, class lists, board and trustee minutes, anniversary materials, worship bulletins, newsletters, photographs, ephemera, and various other documents dating from 1832 to 2007. Some materials have been microfilmed and are available at other repositories. A folder-level inventory for the collection is available.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

The Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church is the repository for records of member churches when they close.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.

Existence and Location of Copies

Some church records at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, particularly membership and vital records, are available in digital form through Ancestry.com or on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and/or the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Top »

Related Materials

Related Archival Materials Note

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church: Frankford Central United Methodist Church records.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Rehoboth Methodist Episcopal Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Geographic Name(s)
  • Frankford (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • City churches
  • Methodism
  • Methodists

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Annual Budgets, 1932, 1949.

1 1

Photographs, 1965-1973.

1 2

Estate of Frank Torrens, 1958-1959.

1 3

Estate of Emma L. Gouak, 1989-1993.

1 4

Church Calendars, 1925-1931.

1 5

Worship Bulletins, 1937-1938.

1 6

Photo and greeting, Rev. Geo. A. Laughead, c. 1935.

1 7

"Lyceum," Paul St. M. E. Church, 1882.

1 8

"Register" newsletter, 1935-1937.

1 9

Membership directories, 1929-1949.

2 1

Membership directories, 1951-1991.

2 2

Quarterly Conference Records, 1903-1931.

2 3

Class Lists, 1866-1871.

3 1

Class Lists, 1872-1875.

3 2

Subscriptions, 1875-1898.

3 3

Trustee Minutes, 1898-1927.

4 1

Record of Receipts and Expenditures, 1915-1920; Record of Receipts, 1930-1955.

4 2

Record of Probationers, 1879-1916; Record of classes, 1880; Record of delegates to the North District Epworth League Conference, 1906.

5 1

Official Board Minutes, 1894-1913.

6 1

Official Board Minutes, 1913-1930.

6 2

Board of Leaders and Stewards: Minutes, 1866-1873, and Cash Account Record, 1860-1868.

6 3

Board of Leaders and Stewards Minutes, 1874-1905.

6 4

Board of Stewards Minutes, 1905-1935.

6 5

Quarterly Conference Records, 1857-1889.

7 1

Bequests, 1964-1965.

7 2

Official Board Minutes, 1930-1938.

7 3

Official Board Minutes, 1938-1956.

7 4

One Hundredth Anniversary, 1929.

7 5

140th Anniversary, 1969.

7 6
Volume

Membership, 1881-2003.

1

Cemetery records, 1832-1904.

2

Documents associated with cemetery records, circa 1995-2007.

3
File
History file.
History File Scope and Contents note

1829-1904 history, History from Sunday School Minutes 1837, By-Laws, Request for Information, 145th Anniversary Dinner Booklet 1974, "How to Interest Young Men of the Church", 100th Anniversary Report 1939, 75th Anniversary Program 1904, 1882 directory (Paul Street), 1941 directory, 1946 directory, 2001 clipping on Sale of Church

1