Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Frankford Central United Methodist Church records

1855-1995, 4 linear feet

14

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
Creator:
Frankford Central United Methodist Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Title:
Frankford Central United Methodist Church records
Date [inclusive]:
1855-1995
Call Number:
14
Extent:
4 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
8 boxes, 6 volumes, and 1 packet
Language:
English
Abstract:
Central Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the Frankford neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1876 and closed in 2005. The Frankford Central United Methodist Church records, 1855-1995, include official board minutes, trustee minutes, membership and vital records, newsletters, and various other records of Frankford Central United Methodist Church.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Central Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the Frankford neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1876. After meeting for several weeks in a Seminary Building at the corner of Frankford Avenue and Fillmore Street, a chapel and unfinished church building at the intersection of Griscom and Orthodox streets were purchased from the Seventh United Presbyterian Church. The church building was finished in December of 1876. It was replaced in 1892 by a 19th century Romanesque building designed by architects Hazelhurst and Huckle.

The church accepted the congregation of Rehoboth Church in a 2001 merger. Frankford Central United Methodist Church closed in 2005.

Scope and Contents

This collection includes official board minutes, 1876-1976; trustee minutes, 1855-1993; membership and vital records, 1874-1995; newsletters; and various other records of Frankford Central United Methodist Church. A folder-level inventory for the collection is available.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

The Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church is the repository for records of member churches when they close.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.

Existence an Location of Copies

Some church records at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, particularly membership and vital records, are available in digital form through Ancestry.com or on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and/or the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Frankford Central United Methodist Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Geographic Name(s)
  • Frankford (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • Church buildings
  • Methodism
  • Methodists
  • Urban churches

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Anniversaries and Dedications.

1 1

Annual Financial Reports.

1 2

Membership Directories.

1 3

Legal.

1 4

Offical Board Minutes, 1876-1879.

1 5

Offical Board Minutes, 1942-1944.

1 6

Offical Board Minutes, 1944-1946.

1 7

Offical Board Minutes, 1946-1947.

1 8

Offical Board Minutes, 1948-1950.

2 1

Offical Board Minutes, 1949-1951.

2 2

Offical Board Minutes, 1952-1954.

2 3

Offical Board Minutes, 1955-1957.

2 4

Offical Board Minutes, 1958-1960.

2 5

Offical Board Minutes, 1961-1962.

2 6

Offical Board Minutes, 1962-1964.

3 1

Offical Board Minutes, 1964-1976.

3 2

Photographs.

3 3

The Register, 1884-1885.

3 4

Subsriptions for new church, 1892.

3 5

Trustee Minutes, 1876-1886.

3 6

Trustee Minutes, 1929-1932.

3 7

Bulletins, 1920, 1934, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1964.

3 8

Trustee Minutes, 1933-1937.

4 1

Trustee Minutes, 1938-1943.

4 2

Trustee Minutes, 1944-1953.

4 3

Trustee Minutes, 1954-1957.

4 4

Trustee Minutes, 1958-1962.

4 5

Trustee Minutes, 1963-1968.

4 6

Trustee Minutes, 1969-1970.

4 7

Trustee Minutes, 1971-1973.

4 8

Trustee Minutes, 1976-1981.

4 9

Trustee Minutes, 1981-1993.

4 10

Weslyan Messenger, 1950-1953.

4 11

The Central Record, newsletter, 1890-1894.

5 1

The Central Record, newsletter, 1897-1900.

5 2

The Central Record, newsletter, 1901-1907.

5 3

The Central Record, newsletter, 1908-1910.

5 4

The Central Record, newsletter, 1911.

5 5

The Central Record, newsletter, 1912-1919.

5 6

History beginning in 1876.

6 1

Official Board Minutes, 1911-1942.

6 2

Trustee Minutes, 1887-1910.

6 3

Trustee Minutes, 1911-1928.

6 4

Record of baptisms, marriages, membership, 1952-1995.

7 1

Contents of Cornerstone, T. Comly Hunter Chapel, 1912.

8 1

Building Committee Report, 1874.

8 2

Blueprint: Detail of Balcony, Sunday School Building, n.d.

8 3

Historical Accounts, 1901-1916.

8 4

Trustee Minutes, 1855-1885.

8 5
Volume

Registers 1874-1888, 1886-1898, 1913-1926, 1926-1948.

Vault

Membership/Baptism 1949-1953, 1952-1995.

Vault

Charter and Amendments.

Vault