Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Crozerville United Methodist Church records

1851-1983, 1 linear feet

21

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
Creator:
Crozerville United Methodist Church (Aston, Pa.)
Title:
Crozerville United Methodist Church records
Date [inclusive]:
1851-1983
Call Number:
21
Extent:
1 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
3 boxes
Language:
English
Abstract:
Rockdale Methodist Episcopal Church in Aston Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania was established in 1851 and formally became a separate charge in 1852. The following year, the congregation voted to change its name to Crozerville Methodist Episcopal Church in recognition of a generous donor, John P. Crozer. Crozerville United Methodist Church was discontinued around 2010. The Crozerville United Methodist Church records, 1851-1983, consist of: trustee, Leaders and Stewards, official board, and Quarterly Conference minutes; Charge Conference records; and membership and vital records such as baptisms and probationers lists.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Methodism is a protestant Christian faith based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), who preached "practical divinity," emphasis on Christian living, and putting faith and love into action. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784 in Baltimore, Maryland with Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke as its first bishops and held its first general conference in 1792. In May of 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church; the Methodist Episcopal Church, South; and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). In 1946 the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New constitution) and the Evangelical Church united to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Methodist Church (U.S.) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united, forming the United Methodist Church (U.S.).

In 1851, some members of the Mount Hope Circuit discussed the possibility of building a Methodist church in Rockdale, a small mill community in Aston Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The new Rockdale Methodist Episcopal Church was formally separated from the Mount Hope Circuit in the spring of 1852. Rev. George W. McLaughlin was appointed the first pastor. In 1853 the congregation voted to change the church's name to Crozerville Methodist Episcopal Church in recognition of the contributions of John P. Crozer, a local mill owner and founder of Crozer Theological Seminary, who had donated land and funds for the church's construction. The building was completely renovated during the summer of 1882. Crozerville United Methodist Church was discontinued around 2010.

Bibliography:

"Crozerville United Methodist Church." 2001. Old Chester in Delaware County, PA. Accessed August 18, 2014. http://www.oldchesterpa.com/churches/crozervilleumchurch.htm

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of: trustee minutes, 1851-1920; Leaders and Stewards minutes, 1852-1879; official board minutes, 1917-1946 and 1962; Quarterly Conference minutes, 1852-1906 and 1949-1968; Charge Conference records, 1970-1983; and membership and vital records (baptisms, probationers, and other information), 1878-1902. A folder-level inventory for the collection is available.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

The Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church is the repository for records of member churches when they close.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.

Existence and Location of Copies

Some church records at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, particularly membership and vital records, are available in digital form through Ancestry.com or on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and/or the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Crozerville United Methodist Church (Aston, Pa.)
  • United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Geographic Name(s)
  • Aston (Pa.)
  • Delaware County (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • Methodism
  • Methodists

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Church Record, 1878-1902 (Pastoral and Statistical Record, 1879, 1888-1890; Official Members, 1882, 1889; Class Records, 1878-1892; Probationers, 1878-1901; Members in Full Connection, 1878-1902; Marriage Record, 1878-1902; Record of Baptisms, 1878-1901).

1 1

Leaders and Stewards Minutes, 1852-1879.

1 2

Leaders and Stewards Minutes, 1874-1898.

1 3

Quarterly Conference Minutes: Rockdale Station, 1852 and Crozerville Station, 1852-1870.

1 4

Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1871-1906.

2 1

Quarterly Conference Records, 1949-1963.

2 2

Quarterly Conference Records, 1961-1968.

2 3

Charge Conference Records, 1970-1978.

2 4

Report to Charge Conference, Committee on Nominations and Personnel, 1983.

2 5

Trustee Minutes, 1851-1920.

3 1

Official Board Minutes, 1917-1946.

3 2

Official Board Minutes, 1962.

3 3