Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Christ Methodist Episcopal Church records

1834-1968, 2.75 linear feet

31

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
Creator:
Christ Methodist Episcopal Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Title:
Christ Methodist Episcopal Church records
Date [inclusive]:
1834-1968
Call Number:
31
Extent:
2.75 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
7 boxes, 4 volumes, 1 folder
Language:
English
Abstract:
Christ Methodist Episcopal Church was located at North 38th Street in the Mantua neighborhood of West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was also known at various times as Mantua, Thirty-Eighth Street, and Heiskell Chapel Methodist Episcopal Churches. The church was founded in 1852 and discontinued in 1968. The Christ Methodist Episcopal Church records, 1834-1968, consist of membership records, marriages, baptisms, Quarterly Conference records, minute books, and various assorted financial, property, and other records.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Methodism is a protestant Christian faith based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), who preached "practical divinity," emphasis on Christian living, and putting faith and love into action. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784 in Baltimore, Maryland with Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke as its first bishops and held its first general conference in 1792. In May of 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church; the Methodist Episcopal Church, South; and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). In 1946 the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New constitution) and the Evangelical Church united to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Methodist Church (U.S.) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united, forming the United Methodist Church (U.S.).

In 1850, the first Methodist services in the Mantua neighborhood of West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania were held in the home of William Smitheman. A church building at 38th and Wallace Streets was opened in 1852, and the following year the church was recognized by the Philadelphia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church as Mantua Methodist Episcopal Church. The church moved a few blocks away to a new building, at 38th and Mount Vernon Streets, and in 1857 was renamed Thirty-Eighth Street Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1868, the church moved once more, this time to 38th and Hamilton Streets. It was briefly known as Heiskell Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church before the name was changed, yet again, to Christ Methodist Episcopal Church in 1869. The church was discontinued in 1968.

Bibliography:

Pennsylvania Society of New York. Year Book of the Pennsylvania Society of New York. 1903. Accessed August 25, 2014. http://books.google.com/books?id=uR0UAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA100.

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of membership records, 1853-1867, 1855-1859, 1870-1881, 1870-1910, 1909-1925, 1924-1966; marriages, 1854-1867, 1871-1881, 1870-1881, 1870-1910, 1910-1925, 1924-1952; baptisms, 1853-1867, 1874-1881, 1875-1881, 1870-1909, 1910-1925, 1927-1968; Quarterly Conference records, 1890-1905; minute books, 1868-1935; and various assorted financial, property, and other records. A folder-level inventory for the collection is available.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

The Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church is the repository for records of member churches when they close.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.

Existence and Location of Copies

Some church records at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, particularly membership and vital records, are available in digital form through Ancestry.com or on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and/or the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Christ Methodist Episcopal Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Geographic Name(s)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • City churches
  • Methodism
  • Methodists

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Trustee Minutes, 1868-1875.

1 1

Quarterly Conference Record, 1890-1894.

2 1

Quarterly Conference Record, 1894-1898.

2 2

Quarterly Conference Record, 1898-1905.

2 3

Meetings of the Corporation, Minutes, 1902-1935.

3 1

Official Board Minutes, 1913-1923.

4 1

Meetings of the Corporation, Minutes, 1869-1872.

5 1

Official Board Minutes, 1931-1935.

5 2

Annual Financial Reports, 1920-1923.

5 3

Membership Directory. 1931.

5 4

Membership Record, 1834-1866.

6 1

Class Lists, 1834-1849; Membership Record, 1851-1853.

6 2

Membership Record, Record of Contributions, 1911-1912.

6 3

Trustees and Corporate Members resolution, 1869-1870.

7 1

Correspondence, 1869-1870.

7 2

Subscription books, 1868, undated.

7 3

Charter and amendments, 1868-1906.

7 4

Deeds, 1867-1868.

7 5

Title searches and brief of title, 1866-1867, 1876.

7 6

Bond and warrant: mortgages, 1869-1871.

7 7

Papers relating to construction of the building, 1868-1869.

7 8

Articles of agreement, 1907; settlement of sale, 1922.

7 9
Volume

Church record, 1870-1910.

1

Church record, 1870-1910.

2

Church record, 1909-1925.

3

Church record, 1924-1952.

4
File
History file.
History File Scope and Contents note

Request for Information; Charters of Incorporation 1808 and 1868; Name Change 1870; Feb. 1979 bulletin; 50th Anniversary directory 1852-1902; 75th Anniversary directory 1852-1927; 93rd Anniversary history

1