Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Methodist Episcopal Union Church records

1801-1945, 5 linear feet

33

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
Creator:
Methodist Episcopal Union Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Title:
Methodist Episcopal Union Church records
Date [inclusive]:
1801-1945
Call Number:
33
Extent:
5 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
5 document boxes, 5 metal boxes, 12 volumes, 3 envelopes, 1 scroll, 7 folders
Language:
English
Abstract:
Methodist Episcopal Union Church was formed in 1801 at 4th and Arch Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by a group that split off from St. George's Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1887 West Park Avenue Chapel merged into the Church, and soon after the Union congregation moved to a new building designed by noted Philadelphia architects Hazelhurst & Huckel at 20th and Diamond Streets. Union Methodist Church was discontinued in 1945. The Methodist Episcopal Union Church records, 1801-1945, include membership and vital records, trustee minutes, Quarterly Conference records, financial papers, reports, mortgages and property-related records, pamphlets and ephemera, correspondence, photographs, cemetery records, and other documents.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Methodism is a protestant Christian faith based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), who preached "practical divinity," emphasis on Christian living, and putting faith and love into action. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784 in Baltimore, Maryland with Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke as its first bishops and held its first general conference in 1792. In May of 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church; the Methodist Episcopal Church, South; and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). In 1946 the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New constitution) and the Evangelical Church united to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Methodist Church (U.S.) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united, forming the United Methodist Church (U.S.).

Methodist Episcopal Union Church was formed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1801 after a dispute between officials of St. George's Methodist Episcopal Church and about 80 parishioners. About 50 of St. George's parishioners left to form Methodist Episcopal Union Church, located nearby at 4th and Arch Streets. In 1887, West Park Avenue Chapel (founded at 20th Street and West Park Avenue in 1879) merged into the Church. Soon after, the Union congregation moved to a new building designed by noted Philadelphia architects Hazelhurst & Huckel at 20th and Diamond Streets. Union Methodist Church was discontinued in 1945.

Scope and Contents

This collection includes trustee minutes, Quarterly Conference records, financial papers, reports, mortgages and property-related records, pamphlets and ephemera, correspondence, photographs, cemetery records, and other documents. Membership and vital records consist of: members, 1868-1874, 1878-1885, 1874-1890, 1885-1923, 1937-1944; marriages, 1820-1867, 1867-1875, 1878-1884, 1874-1890, 1890-1924, 1937-1944; and baptisms, 1801-1810,1814-1829, 1829-1867, 1867-1874, 1878-1885, 1874-1890, 1890-1923, 1937-1945. A folder-level inventory for the collection is available.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

The Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church is the repository for records of member churches when they close.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.

Existence and Location of Copies

Some church records at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, particularly membership and vital records, are available in digital form through Ancestry.com or on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and/or the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Top »

Related Materials

Related Archival Materials Note

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church: St. George's United Methodist Church records.

West Park Avenue Chapel records can be found in the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church: Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church closed churches records

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Methodist Episcopal Union Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Geographic Name(s)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • City churches
  • Methodism
  • Methodists

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Alphabetical Record of Members, 1847.

1 1

Class Lists, 1843-1865.

2 1

Record of Members Received on Certificate, 1843-1864; Record of Membership Actions, [1865?].

3 1

Record of Probationers, 1834-1861; Record of Persons Received into Full Membership, 1839-1840.

3 2

Trustee Minutes, 1878-1921.

4 1

Quarterly Conference Record, 1892-1902.

5 1

Quarterly Conference Record, 1902-1917.

5 2
Container

Envelope of late 19th and early 20th century photographs.

1

Baptisms and marriages, 1801-1828.

2

Membership, 1814-1861; Baptisms, 1814-1829.

3

Church records, 1829-1867.

4

Burial record, 1832-1885.

5

West Park Avenue Board of Trustees minutes, 1878-1885.

6

Membership, 1830-1842.

7

Church records, 1874-1890.

8

Church records, 1867-1875.

9

Church records, 1900-1924.

10

Church records, 1937-1945.

11

Box of burial plot deeds and financial records.

12

Box of pamphlets, ephemera, and correspondence.

13

Box of burial plot deeds.

14

Box of reports, financial records, and other papers.

15

Box of mortgages and property-related records.

16

Record of trials in the M.E. Union Church, 1821.

17

Board of Trustees minutes, 1835-1878.

18

Scroll: church history, 1938.

19
Volume

Receipt book, Steward for the Poor, 1828-1859.

N47-1

Receipt book, 1868-1874.

N47-2

Male Branch of Dorcas Society, account book, 1837-1844.

volume
Files
Union Church history file.
Union Church History File Scope and Contents note

7th Anniversary (Missing Pages), Request for Information, History of John Sommers, 2 Photos (Groups), Exterior of Old Union, Interior of Church, Certification of Ordination of Deacons and Elders 1880, 100th Program 1801-1901, Constitution & By-Laws 1930, 1879, Receipt Book 1859, 1875, Sunday School Constitution 1818, Treasurer's Report 1927, Correspondence Re: Record of 77th Anniversary, Treasurer's Report 1917, In Memoriam Geo. W. Staats, Medallion for Church with Ribbon, 126 Anniversary Program, Sale of lot 1902, Plans for New Building 1887, 2 Message Post Cards 1901, Correspondence Re: Cemetery Lot 1901, Burial Ground Map 1880s, Cemetery Lot Correspondence 186, Correspondence Re: Old Academy Book 1966, Correspondence Re: Mortgage 1900, 1902, Account of Services 1902, Loan of Papers (Cemetery ,etc.), Burial Ground Sale 1900, Petition to Abandon the Burial Ground 1902, Permission for Release of Cemetery Lot 1901, Change of Burial Lot 1901, Cemetery Lot 1889, Power of Attorney (Ella Hollins) 1901, Burial Ground 1900, List of Releases for Cemetery 1901, Court of Common Pleas 1900, Release for Cemetery 1901, Resolution for Trustees to Abandon Cemetery 1900, Sale of Church Cemetery 1900, Cemetery 1900, Specifications for Parsonage, Specifications for Organ, Subscriptions (Finance) 1859, Power of Attorney-Satisfy Mortgage 1917, Owner's Certificate Church (Insurance) 1901, Building Committee Report 1889, Contents of Cornerstone 1887, Correspondence Re: Mortgage 1902, Anniversary Hymn 1908, 1929 bulletin, Easter 1945 bulletin, 1940 bulletin, 1896 church newsletter, 1901 church newsletter, 1908 church newsletter, 1889 deed, Conference Directory 1880, Church Directory 1914, 1923 directory, 1929 directory, 1928 directory, Philadelphia Conference Directory 1896, 1938 directory, 1888 (Last Quarterly Conference 1887) clipping, Sunday School Fire clipping, The Old Academy clipping

1-4
Union Cemetery history file.
Union Cemetery History File Scope and Contents note

deeds (1832, 1756, 1757, 1788, 1753, 1765, 1825, 1827, 1754), Sale of Lands by Frank Woods, Map of Cemetery, Brief of Little Lot, Cemetery Grants 1714-1825, Meeting of Male Members 1831, Finance Book 1901-1902, Receipt for Grave (G. 6 2nd South), Statement of Accounts and Cancelled Checks, Undertakers' Report, Request for Survey of Lot 1900, Correspondence Re: Offered Price for ? 1901, Application for Mortgage 1900, Sale of ? 1902, Draft of Agreement 1901, 1896, Receipt for Grave 1847, List of Lot Holders, Repair of Cemetery Fence 1880, Arlington Cemetery Agreement 1901, Sale of Burial Ground 1902, Receipts and Payments Report, Title Co. Payment 1902, Financial Report 1902, Financial Statement 1901, Arlington Cemetery Statement 1902, Amount Due 1902, Arlington Cemetery 1902, Receipt for Grave 1830, Hand drawn map 1899, Request for Information Reply 1899,Re: Application to Abandon Burial Ground 1900, Burial Plots, 1902, 1900, Arlington Cemetery 1900, 1902, Request for Information Of Union M. E. Cemetery , Request to direct burials 1902, sale of Burial Space 1902, Agreement to Sell Property in Cemetery 1901, Agreement to Exhume all Bodies in the Cemetery 1902, Re: Cemetery Move 1902, Forms for Removal of the Dead 1902, Sale for Equities in Dwelling 1899, Removal of Bodies 1899, Request from Mortgage Co. 1899, Offer of $16,000 For Cemetery 1901, Request for Mortgage Payment 1901, Inquiry about Repairs 1899, Burial Lot 1902, Receipt for Single Grave 1846, Broken Lock on Cemetery Gate

5-7