Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church records

1826-1941, 1.5 linear feet

38

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
Creator:
Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church (Southwark, Philadelphia, Pa.)
Title:
Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church records
Date [inclusive]:
1826-1941
Call Number:
38
Extent:
1.5 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
1 box, 7 volumes, 1 folder
Language:
English
Abstract:
Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church in the Southwark section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was founded in 1790 and discontinued in 1938. The Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church records, 1826-1941, consist largely membership, marriage, and baptism records. There is also a Quarterly Conference Record dating from 1835 to 1867, one book from 1903 to 1904 consisting of burial records from both Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church in Southwark and Ebenezer Church in Havertown, and various other documents.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Methodism is a protestant Christian faith based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), who preached "practical divinity," emphasis on Christian living, and putting faith and love into action. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784 in Baltimore, Maryland with Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke as its first bishops and held its first general conference in 1792. In May of 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church; the Methodist Episcopal Church, South; and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). In 1946 the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New constitution) and the Evangelical Church united to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Methodist Church (U.S.) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united, forming the United Methodist Church (U.S.).

Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1790 and discontinued in 1938. It was located in the Southwark section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at 2nd and Queen Streets, then moved a few blocks to Christian Street between 3rd Street and 4th Street, then re-located across town to 52nd and Parrish Streets.

Scope and Contents

This collection consists largely of vital records: membership records (1873-1893, 1873-1918, 1908-1926, 1904-1938), marriage records (1833-1874, 1871-1893, 1893-1918, 1918-1926, 1927-1938), and baptism records (1826-1871, 1871-1893, 1893-1918, 1918-1926, 1927-1938). There is also a Quarterly Conference Record dating from 1835 to 1867; one book from 1903 to 1904 consisting of burial records from both Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church in Southwark and Ebenezer Church in Havertown, who shared a burial ground (in 1904, the remainder of the grounds were sold; remains, as well as a few small monuments and tombstones, were removed to Arlington Cemetery, Delaware County); and various other documents. A folder-level inventory for the collection is available.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

The Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church is the repository for records of member churches when they close.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.

Existence and Location of Copies

Some church records at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, particularly membership and vital records, are available in digital form through Ancestry.com or on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and/or the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church (Southwark, Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Geographic Name(s)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
  • Southwark (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • City churches
  • Methodism
  • Methodists

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Quarterly Conference Record, 1835-1867.

1 1

Arlington Cemetery Company, 1903.

1 2
Volume

Church records, 1835-1873.

1

Church records, 1871-1893.

2

Church records, 1893-1918.

3

Church records, 1918-1926.

4

Church records, 1927-1938.

5

Church records, 1938-1941.

6

Membership records, 1938-1941.

7
File
History file.
History File Scope and Contents note

History with directory 1890; Constitution; Centennial program 1890; Watch night extraordinary; Negative of church 1790-1890; Photo of church; Sabbath School Celebration 1890; Letter explaining need to move location 1903; Drawing of church; clipping on Centennial Anniversary of its Foundation

1