Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Bickley Memorial United Methodist Church records

1913-1969, 1.8 linear feet

45

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
Creator:
Bickley Memorial United Methodist Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Title:
Bickley Memorial United Methodist Church records
Date [inclusive]:
1913-1969
Call Number:
45
Extent:
1.8 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
4 boxes, 1 folder
Language:
English
Abstract:
Bickley Memorial United Methodist Church, founded as Oak Lane Park Methodist Episcopal Church in 1913 at 6th and Chelten Avenue in the Oak Lane section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was discontinued in 2000. The Bickley Memorial United Methodist Church records, 1913-1969, consist primarily of Board and Quarterly Conference minutes. Also included are financial records, building-related records, some historical materials, membership directories, and various other documents.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Methodism is a protestant Christian faith based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), who preached "practical divinity," emphasis on Christian living, and putting faith and love into action. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784 in Baltimore, Maryland with Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke as its first bishops and held its first general conference in 1792. In May of 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church; the Methodist Episcopal Church, South; and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). In 1946 the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New constitution) and the Evangelical Church united to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Methodist Church (U.S.) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united, forming the United Methodist Church (U.S.).

Oak Lane Park Methodist Episcopal Church was established in 1913 at 6th and Chelten Avenue in the Oak Lane section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The church building, designed by Harrison Albright, was renovated in 1930. At the time of the renovation, the church was renamed Bickley Memorial Methodist Church in honor of one of its founders, Bishop George H. Bickley (1868-1924). Bickley Memorial United Methodist Church was discontinued in 2000.

Bibliography:

Poxon, Marita Krivda. Images of America: Oak Lane, Olney, and Logan. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia, 2011.

Scope and Contents

This collection consists primarily of Board minutes (1941-1965) and Quarterly Conference minutes (1919-1965). Also included are financial records, building-related records, some historical materials, membership directories, and various other documents. A folder-level inventory for the collection is available.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

The Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church is the repository for records of member churches when they close.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.

Existence and Location of Copies Note

Some church records at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, particularly membership and vital records, are available in digital form through Ancestry.com or on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and/or the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Bickley Memorial United Methodist Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • United Methodist Church (U.S.)
Geographic Name(s)
  • Oak Lane (Philadelphia, Pa.)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • City churches
  • Methodism
  • Methodists

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Official Board Minutes, 1941-1946.

1 1

Official Board Minutes, 1946-1951.

1 2

Official Board Minutes, 1951-1954.

1 3

Official Board Minutes, 1954-1958.

1 4

Official Board Minutes, 1959-1965.

1 5

Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1919-1931.

2 1

Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1933-1936.

2 2

Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1937-1940.

2 3

Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1941-1944.

3 4

Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1945-1951.

3 5

Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1952-1957.

3 6

Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1958-1965.

3 7

Treasurer's Account Book, 1913-1930.

3 1

Church Ledger, 1913-1929.

3 2

Treasurer's Account Book, 1930-1939.

3 3

Treasurer's Reports, 1927-1940.

3 4

Stewards' Minutes, 1930-1934.

3 5

Minutes of Trustees and Membership Meetings, 1923-1930.

4 1

Board of Education, 1944-1955.

4 2

Building Program, 1930.

4 3

603 66th Avenue, 1932-1939.

4 4

Letter re property title, 1916.

4 5

Equitable Land Title & Loan Association.

4 6

Anniversary Programs.

4 7

Membership Directories, 1946, 1960, 1963.

4 8

Death of Rev. W. E. Preston Haas, 1965.

4 9

History of Ladies Auxiliary, 1920.

4 10

Selected Bulletins, 1964-1969.

4 11

Newsletter, 1967.

4 12

Activities, 1929-1967.

4 13
File
History file.
History File Scope and Contents note

Anniversary Souvenir 1913-1932; The History of Bickley Memorial, 1959; Request for Info; Pamphlet with photos

1