Search Finding Aids
Kokka Magazine collection
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Drexel University. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- Drexel University: Archives and Special Collections
- Kokka Magazine collection
- Date [inclusive]:
- c. 1904-1914
- Call Number:
- 3 Cubic feet
- The books are written entirely in Japanese.
- This collection is comprised of a series of oversized, handmade books on the history of Japanese art. In addition to text and notations, the books contain both color and black-and-white full-page illustrations by numerous Japanese artists. The books seem to run in a number of separate series within the collection, and are written entirely in Japanese.
Cite as:Kokka Magazine collection, Drexel University Archives.
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
According the Jane Carnegie Oriental Art Library, "The Kokka Magazine is a monthly periodical which has continued, with some breaks, from 1889 to the present... Each issue has a number of articles, mostly by Japanese scholars, on Oriental art, history and architecture, with a strong emphasis on Buddhist art... All issues of the Kokka were published and printed in Tokyo by Kokkasha."
Source: Jane Carnegie Oriental Art Library, online at http://www.janecarnegie.com/kokka_magazine.html. Last accessed September 25, 2013.
Scope and Contents
This is a collected run of Kokka, the monthly Japanese art journal. A gift of Rudolph Blankenburg, the collection is comprised of a series of oversized, handmade books on the history of Japanese art. They cover fifteen hundred years of Japanese art, beginning around 300 A.D. and concluding with the beginning of Western influence. Exact dates are not known, but it was donated to the Drexel Institute Library collection before 1914.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Katelyn Wolfrom
The collection is open for research use.
Gift of Mr. Rudolph Blankenburg.
Japanese fabric books, Drexel University Archives.
Controlled Access Headings
- Blankenberg, Rudolf
- Art, Japanese
- Japan-- History