Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Woman's Club of Conshohocken records

1897-1982, 2 linear feet

08

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Conshohocken Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Conshohocken Historical Society
Creator:
Woman's Club of Conshohocken.
Title:
Woman's Club of Conshohocken records
Date [inclusive]:
1897-1982
Call Number:
08
Extent:
2 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
1 plastic storage bin and 15 scrapbooks
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Woman's Club of Conshohocken was established in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania in 1897 and disbanded circa 1994. Its purpose was "to form an organized center for the moral, the intellectual and social advancement of women of the community." The Woman's Club of Conshohocken records, 1897-1982, are comprised of administrative and financial records, scrapbooks, ephemera, and photographs.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

The Woman's Literary Club of Conshohocken was established in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania in 1897. Its purpose was "to form an organized center for the moral, the intellectual and social advancement of women of the community." For the first twelve years it was primarily a literary club, and members prepared and presented essays on literary and historical topics. Gradually, the focus of the group shifted toward civic matters, and the group dropped the word "Literary" from its title in 1900. The Woman's Club of Conshohocken established a public library, worked on Home Front initiatives during both World Wars, sponsored local girls' groups including the Junior Woman's Club of Conshohocken, and organized or participated in numerous other philanthropic projects and drives.

The Woman's Literary Club of Conshohocken disbanded circa 1994. The Junior Woman's Club of Conshohocken, formed in 1922, is still in existence as of 2012.

Bibliography:

Woman's Club of Conshohocken. "Sixtieth Anniversary, 1897-1957." Pamphlet found in collection.

Woman's Club of Conshohocken. "1897-1982: Eighty-fifth Anniversary." Pamphlet found in collection.

Scope and Contents

This collection is comprised of meeting minutes (1897-1926), attendance records, financial records (1897-1947), newspaper clipping scrapbooks (1924-1970), brochures and pamphlets from anniversary celebrations, and photographs of the Woman's Club of Conshohocken. An inventory of the collection is provided below:

MEMBERSHIP AND MEETING MINUTES AND NOTES

Membership and Meeting Notes November 14,1897

Corresponding notes of the corresponding secretary, 1897-1905

Record of attendance and meeting minutes/notes, 1899-1903

Membership and Meeting Notes , 1901-1902

Membership and Meeting Notes, 1902-1903

Membership and Meeting Notes, 1904-907

Membership and Meeting Notes, 1907-1910

Meeting minutes and record of meeting attendance, 1911-1920

Meeting minutes of the book section of the Women's Club, 1918-1924

Membership names, addresses and record of payments, 1920-1926

Cash accounts of the Women's Club, 1897-1905

Cash Accounts (Ledger), 1897-1920

The First National Bank of Conshohocken, 1902-1905

The First National Bank of Conshohocken, 1912-1922

The First National Bank of Conshohocken, 1923-1925

Bank Book from The First National Bank of Conshohocken, 1930-1947

SCRAPBOOKS

Newspaper clippings regarding local events involving the Women's Club, 1924-1936

Newspaper clippings from The Conshohocken Recorder regarding local events involving the Women's Club, 1936-1939

Newspaper clippings from Conshohocken Recorder, Times Herald, Inquirer, Bulletin, Round Table regarding local events, 1939-1946

Press Book: Newspaper clippings from The Conshohocken Recorder, Philadelphia Inquirer, The Round Table, Norristown Times Herald an Philadelphia Record regarding local events involving the Women's Club, 1939-1946

Newspaper clippings from Conshohocken Recorder, Times Herald, Inquirer, Bulletin, Round Table regarding local events, 1946-1948

8x10 black & white photographs of Women's Club members during the presidency of Mrs. Edwin (Maza) Montross, 1946-1948

Newspaper clippings regarding local events, 1948-1949

Scrapbook, 1952-1959

Newspaper clippings from the Times Herald involving the Women's Club, 1959-1960

Newspaper clippings from Recorder, Montgomery Post, Montgomery County County Shipping News, 1961-1964

Newspaper clippings from Conshohocken Recorder, Times Herald, Inquirer, Bulletin, Round Table regarding local events involving the Women's Club, 1965-1966

Scrapbook, 1966-1967

Scrapbook, 1967-1968

Scrapbook, 1968-1969

Scrapbook, 1969-1970

ARTICLES AND CLIPPINGS

Clippings, 1925

Conshohocken Community Center Clippings 1926-1927

PHOTOS AND SNAPSHOTS

5x7 portraits taken during the presidency of Mrs. Harold Shoemaker, 1931-1936

8x10 black & white portraits of Women's Club members during the presidency of Mrs. Edwin (Maza) Montross, 1946-1948

snapshots, 1957

snapshots, 1977

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Conshohocken Historical Society

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Conshohocken Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gifted to the Conshohocken Historical Society at the time of the Club's disbandment, circa 1994.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Conshohocken Historical Society directly for more information.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Woman's Club of Conshohocken.
Geographic Name(s)
  • Conshohocken (Pa.)
  • Montgomery County (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • Charities
  • Clubs
  • Women--Societies and clubs

Return to Top »