Search Finding Aids
Hahnemann University photograph collection
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Drexel University. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
- Hahnemann University photograph collection
- Date [inclusive]:
- circa 1840-2004
- Call Number:
- 5.4 Linear feet (19 boxes of photographs and 3 boxes of negatives)
- The Hahnemann University Photograph Collection is an extensive collection that covers the people and buildings of Hahnemann from its beginnings in 1848 as the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania to 2004 as Hahnemann University Hospital. Much of the collection is a photographic record of the buildings that were used and constructed by the organization throughout its history. The photographs consistently span the lifetime of the school and hospital from the mid-1840s to turn of the twenty-first century. Shots include interiors, exteriors, construction sites, and aerial shots of the campus (and city). There are also a few shots of other homeopathic hospitals and schools in the nineteenth century. A significant portion of the collection visually documents the departments and medical instruments/equipment used by those departments. These photographs cover a range of dates with most being the latter half of the twentieth century. The remainder of the collection is concerned with the people associated with the schools and hospital over the years. Past presidents, doctors, and alumni, There are some images from the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania; however, most are from more recent times.
Cite as:Hahnemann University photograph collection, Drexel University College of Medicine Archives.
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
In 1848, the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania was founded in Philadelphia. Its first home was a four-story stone building at 1105 Filbert Street designed by noted Philadelphia architect, Thomas U. Walter. A hospital was added in 1862 to treat Civil War soldiers and was subsequently rebuilt after the war.
By 1885, the hospital and medical college merged and began its move to Broad and Vine Streets. Known at that time as the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia, the new college building opened on Broad Street in 1886, while the new hospital opened on 15th Street in 1890. In 1938, the new hospital opened on Broad Street where the college had once stood. The old hospital was modified to be the new home to the college. Modifications were completed in 1973.
Hahnemann Hospital was a full service facility with many departments. Photographic records of various departments, along with some of the instruments and procedures employed those departments, have been created over the organization’s long history.
The people throughout Hahnemann’s history have contributed to both the hospital and college making it what it is today. Administration, faculty, and staff have contributed significantly to the betterment of the hospital and college. Students and alumni played their role as well in shaping Hahnemann’s reputation. There are also visits by dignitaries and other famous people that occurred over time.
Scope and Contents
The Hahnemann University Photograph Collection is a compilation of photographic material from many of the collections that reside at the Drexel University College of Medicine archives.
Series I – III, Founding and Homeopathy, focus on the people involved with Hahnemann in the beginning as well as images of documents produced by the college and hospital. Matriculation cards and diplomas are two examples. Also included are images of the man for which the organization is named: Samuel Hahnemann. Most of the collection (Series IV – VII) deals with the buildings that have housed the college and the hospital over its 150+ year history. Hahnemann college and hospital moved several times in Center City Philadelphia, and each location is documented with images. Photographs of hospital departments, taken over time, populate Series VIII. This series also includes images of the equipment, apparatus, and procedures used and performed in those departments. Series IX is the final series, and it includes images of people that have created and influenced Hahnemann throughout its growth and development.
The first three series on the founding and history of homeopathy are subtitled for differentiation: Founding Individuals, Other Notable People, and Historic Documents. Almost all of these photographs were taken in the nineteenth century; however, many lack specific dates.
Series IV is Buildings – Hospitals, and it contains images of nineteenth century buildings used to house the nascent hospital. The photographs continue to document the facility as it changes location and builds bigger structures to house the growing hospital. In Buildings – College (Series V), photographic images of the college are provided throughout its evolution. The sixth series, Buildings – Other Hahnemann, contains images of related buildings like the Nurses’ Building, the Spring Garden Community Services Center, and the Bobst Building to name a few. Series VII is Buildings – Other affiliated buildings, it contains images of other homeopathic institutions. Included are images of the first homeopathic hospital in the country, the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts (informally known as the Allentown Academy because it was located in Allentown, Pennsylvania).
Series VIII houses images of various hospital departments including wards, instruments, and procedures. The photographs date from the nineteenth to the late twentieth century.
The final series—Series IX—covers the people who have been affiliated with the hospital and college. Photographs include faculty, administration, staff, students, alumni, and visiting dignitaries.
This photograpic collection contains nine series and is concerned with the history, buildings, departments, and people of Hahnemann Hospital and College of Medicine.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Finding aid prepared by Meredith McCusker
[STATE ACCESS RESTRICTIONS OR] The collection is open for research use.
Consult archivist regarding copyright restrictions.
[INFORMATION ABOUT GIFT/TRANSFER].
Controlled Access Headings
- Bailey, Charles P. (Charles Philamore), 1910-1993
- Boericke, Garth, 1893-1968
- Brown, Charles Leonard, 1899-1959
- Came, P. E. (Paul E.)
- Cameron, Charles S., 1908-
- DiPalma, Joseph R.
- Farrington, E.A. (Ernest Albert), 1847-1885
- Ford, Gerald R., 1913-2006
- Geckeler, George D., 1894-1989
- George Harlan Wells, 1880-
- Giannini , Margaret Joan, 1921-
- Hahnemann, Samuel, M.D., 1755-1843
- Hall, Monty, 1921-
- Hempel, Charles J. (Charles Julius), 1811-1879
- Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880
- Imes, Thomas Creigh, 1852-1923
- Jeanes, Jacob, 1800-1877
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- Kistler, Horace Edwin, 1858-
- Likoff, William
- Lippe, Adolph von, 1812-1888
- Lomax, Walter P., Jr, 1932-
- Long, David M., Jr., M.D., Ph.D.
- McKinley, William, 1843-1901
- Morgan, Arthur
- Northrop, Herbert L., 1866-
- Papanicolaou, George N., 1883-1962
- Pearson, William Alexander, 1879-
- Sartain, Harriet Judd, 1830-1923
- Semple, Matthew, 1813-1867
- Stevens, Rosemary
- Weaver, Rufus Benjamin (Harriet), 1841-1936
- Williamson, Walter, 1811-1870
- Anatomical museums
- Hospital design and construction
- Hospital mergers--Pennsylvania.
- Hospitals--United States
- Laboratories--Design and construction
- Medical colleges--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- Medical examinations
- Medical instruments and apparatus
- Medical laboratories--Equipment and supplies
- Medical libraries
- Medical personnel
- Medical students
- Nursing schools--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia
- Urban hospitals