Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

LMHS.14: "The First 300" photograph collection

1890-2000, 1.8 linear feet

14

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Lower Merion Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Lower Merion Historical Society
Creator:
Jones, Dick, 1928-2006
Title:
LMHS.14: "The First 300" photograph collection
Date [inclusive]:
1890-2000
Call Number:
14
Extent:
1.8 Linear feet
General Physical Description Note:
6 binders
Language:
English
Abstract:
The township of Lower Merion in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania was first settled by Welsh Quakers in 1682. It is part of the "Main Line," a collection of affluent Philadelphia suburbs located alongside the Pennsylvania Railroad line that was built between Philadelphia and Harrisburg in the mid-19th century. "The First 300" photograph collection, 1890-2000, is composed of photographs (mostly reproductions with some originals) that were used in the Lower Merion Historical Society's published book The First 300: The Amazing and Rich History of Lower Merion. There are also some photocopies of secondary source materials that were used in researching the book.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

In August of 1682, Welsh Quakers from the County of Merionethshire landed in Pennsylvania. These "Merioneth Adventurers" were bound for the "Welsh Tract," granted to them by William Penn. Today, the area is Lower Merion township and Narberth borough, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

In the mid-19th century, the Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad was constructed, running from Philadelphia to Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. The route passed through Lower Merion, and like other "Main Line" towns, the area developed into an affluent community due to its convenient location.

Lower Merion township has become known for two industrial giants, the Pencoyd Iron Works and the Autocar Company. The Pencoyd Ironworks was started by the Roberts family in 1852. The company became a major bridge and structural steel supplier. The Autocar company moved to Ardmore from Pittsburgh in 1900. Autocar was a manufacturer of commercial vehicles. The company moved to Exton, Pennsylvania in 1953.

Bibliography:

Francis, Gerald A. "Celebrating William Penn's Vision and the First Welsh Settlement in Lower Merion and Narberth: 1682-2007." The Lower Merion Historical Society, 2007.

"Business and Industry." In Montgomery County: The Second Hundred Years, edited by Jean B. Toll and Michael J. Schwager. Norristown, PA: Montgomery County Federation of Historical Societies, 1983. Accessed November 7, 2011. http://www.lowermerionhistory.org/texts/first200/business_5.html.

Scope and Contents

This collection is composed of photographs, mostly reproductions with some originals, that were used in the Lower Merion Historical Society's published book The First 300: The Amazing and Rich History of Lower Merion, ed. by Dick Jones (Ardmore, Pa.: Lower Merion Historical Society, 2000). There are also some photocopies of secondary source materials that were used in researching the book. This collection was compiled by the editor of the book, Dick Jones.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Lower Merion Historical Society

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Lower Merion Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

Gift of Dick Jones.

Return to Top »

Related Materials

Related Archival Materials Note

Lower Merion Historical Society: W. Robert Schwartz photograph collection.

Lower Merion Historical Society: Houses and Estates photograph collection.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Geographic Name(s)
  • Ardmore (Pa.)
  • Bala-Cynwyd (Pa.)
  • Bryn Mawr (Pa.)
  • Gladwyne (Pa.)
  • Haverford (Pa. : Township)
  • Lower Merion (Pa. : Township)
  • Main Line (Pa.)
  • Merion (Pa.)
  • Montgomery County (Pa.)
  • Narberth (Pa.)
  • Villanova (Pa.)
  • Wynnewood (Montgomery County, Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • American history and culture
  • Local history
  • Lower Merion (Pa. : Township)--Research

Return to Top »