Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

LMHS.16: Lower Merion Historical Society collection on the Lower Merion Academy

1814-2010, 3 linear feet

16

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Lower Merion Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Lower Merion Historical Society
Creator:
Lower Merion Historical Society.
Title:
LMHS.16: Lower Merion Historical Society collection on the Lower Merion Academy
Date [inclusive]:
1814-2010
Call Number:
16
Extent:
3 Linear feet
General Physical Description Note:
6 binders, 2 document boxes, multiple volumes and loose items on shelf
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Lower Merion Academy in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, was created at the bequest of Quaker Jacob Jones in 1812. The Academy was one of the first public schools in the United States and was one of the first in Lower Merion township to provide a free education. The Lower Merion Historical Society collection on the Lower Merion Academy, 1814-2010, includes administrative records for the building and of the Academy, and a small amount of financial records.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

The Lower Merion Academy was created at the bequest of Jacob Jones in 1812. Jones, a Quaker settler, left land and money to build the school and to pay for a teacher. The Academy was one of the first public schools in the United States and was one of the first in Lower Merion township to provide a free education. The school was in use until 1915. The building is still standing and is currently in use by the Lower Merion School District and several community organizations.

Bibliography:

Maier, Phyllis C. and Mary Mendenhall Wood, eds. Lower Merion--A History. Ardmore, PA: Lower Merion Historical Society, 1988.

Scope and Contents

This collection includes records of the Lower Merion Academy gathered by the Lower Merion Historical Society. There are administrative records for the building, which include leases and proposals for restorations as well as documentation of the restoration work done by Lower Merion Historical Society. There are also administrative records of the Academy, which include trustee records and minutes from 1816-1969, original and copied student and teacher lists, student workbooks, attendance records, and teacher monthly reports. There is also a small amount of financial records, which include an account book and miscellaneous receipts.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Lower Merion Historical Society

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Lower Merion Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Lower Merion Academy.
Geographic Name(s)
  • Bala-Cynwyd (Pa.)
  • Lower Merion (Pa. : Township)
  • Main Line (Pa.)
  • Montgomery County (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • Education
  • Historic preservation
  • Schools

Return to Top »