Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Exton Area Jaycee Wives local history clippings scrapbooks

1964-1991, 1 linear feet

02

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Uwchlan Township Historical Commission. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Uwchlan Township Historical Commission
Creator:
Junior Chamber International. Exton Area Jaycees (Exton, Pa.). Wives
Title:
Exton Area Jaycee Wives local history clippings scrapbooks
Date [inclusive]:
1964-1991
Call Number:
02
Extent:
1 Linear feet
General Physical Description note:
5 volumes
Language:
English
Abstract:
Uwchlan Township and adjacent Exton (Chester County, Pennsylvania) were settled by Europeans in the early 18th century. The area was sparsely populated by farmers until a development boom following the end of World War II. The Exton Area Jaycee Wives local history clippings scrapbooks, 1964-1991, consist of five volumes about Uwchlan Township and Exton local history compiled by the Exton Area Jaycee Wives, a local branch of the service group Junior Chamber International.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Prior to the arrival of Europeans in the 17th and 18th centuries, the area now known as Uwchlan Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania was occupied by the Leni-Lenape (Delaware) and Iroquoian-speaking Susquehanuck peoples. The first Europeans in the area were Swedish explorers in 1637-1638, although the first permanent settlement was not established until the 1700s. Welsh Quakers were the main group to settle in Uwchlan, requesting their own meeting in 1712, which is the same year that Uwchlan Township was founded. An additional tract was added to the eastern portion of the township in 1726, likely at the behest of prominent resident and large landholder David Lloyd. In 1858 the upper part of Uwchlan Township split from Uwchlan to form Upper Uwchlan Township.

Uwchlan was a primarily rural farming community until World War II, when post-war suburbanization resulted in rapid development. The population increased has increased dramatically from about 500 in 1920 to over 6,000 in the 1970s and upwards of 18,000 at the beginning of the 21st century.

Uwchlan embraces the Lionville Historic District, a crossroads community registered as a national historic district with 39 contributing historic buildings.

Adjacent to Uwchlan Township is Exton, a census-designated place in West Whiteland Township. Settled by a few English and Welsh farms in the early and mid 18th century, Exton's first post office was not opened until 1851.

Bibliography:

Brody, Susanna Wilson. Uwchlan Township: 300 Years Above the Valley. Uwchlan Township Historical Commission: 2011.

Exton Region Chamber of Commerce. "About Exton." Accessed February 12, 2014. http://www.ercc.net/about-exton/.

Gerlach, Jim (PA). "300th Anniversary of Uwchlan Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania." Congressional Record 158:100 (June 29, 2012), page E1195. Accessed February 12, 2014. http://capitolwords.org/date/2012/06/29/E1195_300th-anniversary-of-uwchlan-township-chester-coun/.

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of five scrapbooks of newspaper clippings about the history of Uwchlan Township and the adjacent village of Exton compiled by the Exton Area Jaycee Wives, a local branch of the service group Junior Chamber International. The clippings are pasted into wallpaper sample books. The clippings date from 1964-1991; there is some overlap in dates between the volumes.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Uwchlan Township Historical Commission

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Uwchlan Township Historical Commission for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

Many members of the Exton Area Jaycee Wives were members of the Uwchlan Township Historical Commission.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Uwchlan Township Historical Commission directly for more information.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Junior Chamber International
Geographic Name(s)
  • Chester County (Pa.)
  • Exton (Pa.)
  • Uwchlan (Pa. : Township)
Subject(s)
  • Local history

Return to Top »