Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Creed and Company Limited manufacturing plant album

225

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Hagley Museum and Library. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Creator:
Adams, Charles
Title:
Creed and Company Limited manufacturing plant album
Date:
1954
Call Number:
225
Extent:
1 volume
General Physical Description:
1 album (17 photographic prints) ; 9.5 x 13 in.
Location:
GL Box 1.
Language:
English
Abstract:
Creed and Company Limited was originally founded as Creed, Bille & Company Limited by Frederick George Creed (1871-1957) and Harald Bille (1879-1916) in 1912 to manufacture and sell telegraphy equipment. In the early 1900s, Creed had invented several machines that facilitated the sending and receiving of Morse code messages. Much of Creed and Company's manufacturing capacity was in Croydon, London, England. These photographs show a group tour of the Creed and Company Limited plant in Croydon on October 14, 1954.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Creed and Company Limited was originally founded as Creed, Bille & Company Limited by Frederick George Creed (1871-1957) and Harald Bille (1879-1916) in 1912 to manufacture and sell telegraphy equipment. In the early 1900s, Creed had invented a keyboard-operated perforator for preparing Morse-code paper tape to be used for message transmission, a receiving perforator and a tape-driven printer which converted Morse code into printed characters on paper tape. This was known as the “Creed High Speed Automatic Printing Telegraphy System.” Bille came to an untimely death in a railroad accident in 1916, and his name was subsequently dropped from the company. In July, 1928, Creed and Company was acquired by International Telephone and Telegraph Corporation, which opened up global markets to their products. Over time competitive pressures, patent acquisition, market pressures and two world wars saw Creed and Company innovate its product line to include increasingly sophisticated teleprinters and data processing machines.

Initially, Creed operated a small manufacturing site in Glasgow between 1904 and 1909; he then moved to Selsdon Road in South Croydon. With increases in production because of the First World War, Creed and Company moved to a bigger facility, Telegraph House at East Croydon. A second site was built on the eve of the Second World War in Treforest, South Wales. In the post-war years expansion took place again in 1946 with the Purley Way site, in 1950 with the Progress Way site (both in Croydon), and in 1956 with new locations at Progress House, Croydon, and Burgess Hill, Sussex.

Scope and Contents

These photographs show a group tour of the Creed and Company Limited plant in Croydon, England on October 14, 1954. There are no captions or identification of the members of the groups. The provenance of the item indicates that one of the visitors may be Ernest du Pont, Jr. (1931-2015).

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Creed and Company Limited.
Subject(s)
  • Telegraph--Equipment and supplies.
  • Telegraph--History.
  • Telegraph--Perforating system.

Return to Top »