Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 20 out of 20  
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1925-1990
(Bulk: 1976-1989)
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Extent: 11.5 linear feet (12 containers)
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (ANSP) is a natural history museum which was founded in 1812, “for the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences, and the advancement of useful learning.” The ANSP Board of Trustees, was established in 1925, as one of the institution’s primary administrative bodies. The Board of Trustees was charged with establishing financial policies, selecting the Academy President, assisting with fund raising and community relations, and serving as a board of review. This collection of Trustees records dating from 1925 to 1990 contains minutes and correspondence of various Board committees, policies and procedures, departmental activity reports, annual meetings and files from the President's office related to board matters. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Board of Trustees records
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
id
ANSP.2010.009
repository
extent
11.5 linear feet (12 containers)
inclusive date
1925-1990
bulk date
1976-1989
abstract/scope/contents
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (ANSP) is a natural history museum which was founded in 1812, “for the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences, and the advancement of useful learning.” The ANSP Board of Trustees, was established in 1925, as one of the institution’s primary administrative bodies. The Board of Trustees was charged with establishing financial policies, selecting the Academy President, assisting with fund raising and community relations, and serving as a board of review. This collection of Trustees records dating from 1925 to 1990 contains minutes and correspondence of various Board committees, policies and procedures, departmental activity reports, annual meetings and files from the President's office related to board matters.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1952-1995
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Division of Environmental Research.
Extent: 21 linear feet (22 containers)
The Division of Environmental Research (DER) was established as a department of the Academy of Natural Sciences in 1947 by botanist and limnologist, Dr. Ruth Patrick. Originally called the Department of Limnology, the department was envisioned by Patrick as a multidisciplinary team of scientists devoted to helping protect the quality of the environment. Not only was environmental research a novel idea for the time, but the multidisciplinary nature of the research was also innovative. The primary goals of the Division were to, "understand aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, including the effects of natural processes and human activities; apply this knowledge to assess ecosystems health and developing watershed-level strategies for enhancing environmental quality; and work with diverse stakeholders, including government, community groups, industry and environmental organizations to improve environmental stewardship" (ansp.org). This collection provides evidence of the activities of the Division of Environmental Research between the years 1952 and 1995. The bulk of the collection consists of raw data collected at various locations for research projects sponsored by private corporations. The majority of the remaining portion of the collection consists of the papers of DER Director and Vice President Louis E. Sage. This collection also includes a small body of Dr. Ruth Patrick’s working files, as well as publications related to environmental research. Due to the complex scientific nature of the records, the original order of the collection material has been preserved. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Division of Environmental Research records
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Division of Environmental Research.
id
ANSP.2010.039
repository
extent
21 linear feet (22 containers)
inclusive date
1952-1995
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Division of Environmental Research (DER) was established as a department of the Academy of Natural Sciences in 1947 by botanist and limnologist, Dr. Ruth Patrick. Originally called the Department of Limnology, the department was envisioned by Patrick as a multidisciplinary team of scientists devoted to helping protect the quality of the environment. Not only was environmental research a novel idea for the time, but the multidisciplinary nature of the research was also innovative. The primary goals of the Division were to, "understand aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, including the effects of natural processes and human activities; apply this knowledge to assess ecosystems health and developing watershed-level strategies for enhancing environmental quality; and work with diverse stakeholders, including government, community groups, industry and environmental organizations to improve environmental stewardship" (ansp.org). This collection provides evidence of the activities of the Division of Environmental Research between the years 1952 and 1995. The bulk of the collection consists of raw data collected at various locations for research projects sponsored by private corporations. The majority of the remaining portion of the collection consists of the papers of DER Director and Vice President Louis E. Sage. This collection also includes a small body of Dr. Ruth Patrick’s working files, as well as publications related to environmental research. Due to the complex scientific nature of the records, the original order of the collection material has been preserved.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1852-2001
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Extent: 49 linear feet (50 containers)
Prior to the 1930s, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia had neither an education department nor an exhibits department. However, the museum clearly stated that “to see that our scientific work is shared with the public in ways that instruct and entertain is one of our direct responsibilities, for knowledge of Nature not only widens the mental horizon, but helps to ease the common burdens of life.” In 1920, Harold T. Green came to work at the Academy. At first, he was in charge of arranging the public lectures funded by the Ludwick Institute. However, within a year he was also “superintending” exhibits. His skills as a taxidermist and artist soon overtook his role as a program coordinator and, in 1930 his title was officially changed to “Curator of Museum Exhibits.” In 1929, Green created his first habitat group, or “diorama” which depicted a group of rocky mountain goats. Over the years, the priorities and goals of the Exhibits Department shifted and expanded based upon new ideas in museum education, public perception, and financial challenges. In the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Exhibits Department records, researchers will find a range of materials that span the better part of the 20th century. Of special interest are the Harold T. Green papers, for these include paintings, specimens, color swatches, sketches, photographs, and illustrations of all sorts taken in situ on expeditions to Africa in the 1930s. Later series reflect the operating methods of the Exhibit Department's project managers into the 1990s. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Exhibits Department records
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
id
ANSP.2010.004
repository
extent
49 linear feet (50 containers)
inclusive date
1852-2001
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Prior to the 1930s, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia had neither an education department nor an exhibits department. However, the museum clearly stated that “to see that our scientific work is shared with the public in ways that instruct and entertain is one of our direct responsibilities, for knowledge of Nature not only widens the mental horizon, but helps to ease the common burdens of life.” In 1920, Harold T. Green came to work at the Academy. At first, he was in charge of arranging the public lectures funded by the Ludwick Institute. However, within a year he was also “superintending” exhibits. His skills as a taxidermist and artist soon overtook his role as a program coordinator and, in 1930 his title was officially changed to “Curator of Museum Exhibits.” In 1929, Green created his first habitat group, or “diorama” which depicted a group of rocky mountain goats. Over the years, the priorities and goals of the Exhibits Department shifted and expanded based upon new ideas in museum education, public perception, and financial challenges. In the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Exhibits Department records, researchers will find a range of materials that span the better part of the 20th century. Of special interest are the Harold T. Green papers, for these include paintings, specimens, color swatches, sketches, photographs, and illustrations of all sorts taken in situ on expeditions to Africa in the 1930s. Later series reflect the operating methods of the Exhibit Department's project managers into the 1990s.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1819-1969
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Extent: 6 containers
The oldest natural sciences institution in the Western Hemisphere, the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, was founded when the United States hugged the Atlantic coastline, and Philadelphia was the cultural, commercial, and scientific center of the new nation. Classic expeditions to explore the western wilderness were organized at the Academy. These explorers brought back new species of plants and animals, which were studied and catalogued; and which formed the foundation of the Academy's scientific collections, now consisting of more than 17,000,000 specimens. This collection documents the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia's expeditions across the globe from 1891 to 1977. The collection is rich in material, particularly regarding the Academy's expedition to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in 1969. There is some general information regarding expeditions, especially in regard to the Committee on Names, which is responsible for selecting offical names for special exhibitions. Also included is information regarding other expeditions in which Academy representatives participated during the late 19th and 20th centuries. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia papers on expeditions
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
id
ANSP.Coll.113
repository
extent
6 containers
inclusive date
1819-1969
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The oldest natural sciences institution in the Western Hemisphere, the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, was founded when the United States hugged the Atlantic coastline, and Philadelphia was the cultural, commercial, and scientific center of the new nation. Classic expeditions to explore the western wilderness were organized at the Academy. These explorers brought back new species of plants and animals, which were studied and catalogued; and which formed the foundation of the Academy's scientific collections, now consisting of more than 17,000,000 specimens. This collection documents the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia's expeditions across the globe from 1891 to 1977. The collection is rich in material, particularly regarding the Academy's expedition to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in 1969. There is some general information regarding expeditions, especially in regard to the Committee on Names, which is responsible for selecting offical names for special exhibitions. Also included is information regarding other expeditions in which Academy representatives participated during the late 19th and 20th centuries.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1844-1893
Creator:
Sharp, Benjamin, 1885-1915
Extent: 5 boxes
Benjamin Sharp (1858-1915), a zoologist who was primarily affiliated with the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, attended Swarthmore College (1876) and earned a M.D. and Ph.D.from the University of Pennsylvania. He worked in the Caribbean, the Hawaiian Islands and in the Arctic, where he was in charge of zoology for Peary's first Arctic Expedition in 1891. (View full finding aid.)
title
Benjamin Sharp papers and glass lantern slides
creator
Sharp, Benjamin, 1885-1915
id
ANSP.Coll.349
repository
extent
5 boxes
inclusive date
1844-1893
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Benjamin Sharp (1858-1915), a zoologist who was primarily affiliated with the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, attended Swarthmore College (1876) and earned a M.D. and Ph.D.from the University of Pennsylvania. He worked in the Caribbean, the Hawaiian Islands and in the Arctic, where he was in charge of zoology for Peary's first Arctic Expedition in 1891.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1818-1977
Creator:
Rafinesque, C. S., (Constantine Samuel), 1783-1840
Extent: 5 linear inches
Constantine Samuel Rafinesque (1783-1840) was a naturalist who is best known for his contributions to scientific classification and nomenclature and giving Latin names to approximately 6,700 plants. While in the United States, he toured west of the Alleghenies and made important botanical discoveries in Kentucky and Illinois. This collection dates from 1818 to 1977 and consists of copies of Rafinesque's professional letters, family material, and research by F. W. Pennell regarding Rafinesque. The majority of the collection is composed of biographical letters and rough drafts made by Pennell. (View full finding aid.)
title
Constantine Samuel Rafinesque papers
creator
Rafinesque, C. S., (Constantine Samuel), 1783-1840
id
ANSP.Coll.418
repository
extent
5 linear inches
inclusive date
1818-1977
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Constantine Samuel Rafinesque (1783-1840) was a naturalist who is best known for his contributions to scientific classification and nomenclature and giving Latin names to approximately 6,700 plants. While in the United States, he toured west of the Alleghenies and made important botanical discoveries in Kentucky and Illinois. This collection dates from 1818 to 1977 and consists of copies of Rafinesque's professional letters, family material, and research by F. W. Pennell regarding Rafinesque. The majority of the collection is composed of biographical letters and rough drafts made by Pennell.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1951-1993
Creator:
Greenewalt, Crawford H., 1902-1993
Extent: 23.6 linear feet (40 containers)
Crawford Hallock Greenewalt (1902-1993) was a chemical engineer and the President of the DuPont Company from 1948 to 1962. He had a passion for the natural sciences, and combined his love of ornithology with photography. He was especially known for his high speed photographs of hummingbirds. His ornithological interests included bird songs, the radiance of hummingbird feathers and the evolution of shapes and sizes of birds in relation to their flight abilities. The Crawford H. Greenewalt papers document Greenewalt's personal study of ornithology, primarily his work on hummingbirds. The collection dates from 1951 to 1993 and consists primarily of photographs taken by Greenewalt, and technical data collected by Greenewalt. The images photographed by Greenewalt exist in many different formats throughout the collection, including prints, negatives, and slides. The technical data in this collection represents Greenewalt's research into the physiology of hummingbirds, and the development of his high-speed photographic technique. In addition to Greenewalt's research material, this collection houses drafts and edits of some of Greenewalt's original publications. The collection also includes awards, certificates, honorary degrees and some camera equipment. (View full finding aid.)
title
Crawford H. Greenewalt papers
creator
Greenewalt, Crawford H., 1902-1993
id
ANSP.2010.010
repository
extent
23.6 linear feet (40 containers)
inclusive date
1951-1993
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Crawford Hallock Greenewalt (1902-1993) was a chemical engineer and the President of the DuPont Company from 1948 to 1962. He had a passion for the natural sciences, and combined his love of ornithology with photography. He was especially known for his high speed photographs of hummingbirds. His ornithological interests included bird songs, the radiance of hummingbird feathers and the evolution of shapes and sizes of birds in relation to their flight abilities. The Crawford H. Greenewalt papers document Greenewalt's personal study of ornithology, primarily his work on hummingbirds. The collection dates from 1951 to 1993 and consists primarily of photographs taken by Greenewalt, and technical data collected by Greenewalt. The images photographed by Greenewalt exist in many different formats throughout the collection, including prints, negatives, and slides. The technical data in this collection represents Greenewalt's research into the physiology of hummingbirds, and the development of his high-speed photographic technique. In addition to Greenewalt's research material, this collection houses drafts and edits of some of Greenewalt's original publications. The collection also includes awards, certificates, honorary degrees and some camera equipment.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1929-1970
Creator:
Johnson, E.R. (Eldridge Reeves Fenimore), 1899-1986
Extent: 13.5 linear feet (17 containers)
Eldridge Reeves Fenimore Johnson (1899-1986) was a pioneer in the development of underwater photography and was also an explorer, yachtsman and researcher. His interests in underwater photography developed during World War II when he enlisted in Naval Research and worked with underwater demolition and photography. He created his own company, Fenjohn Underwater Equipment Company and patented equipment inventions. The E.R. Fenimore Johnson photographs, 1929-1970, is a rich collection of images ranging from underwater photography; equipment and tests; natural history; yachting; and exploration. This collection consists of subject files, test photographs, motion picture films, index card guides to the motion pictures, index card guides to the use of the images, photograph albums of an expedition to Matto Grosso in Brazil, lantern slides, and negatives. Researchers interested in E.R. Fenimore Johnson, the development of underwater photography, marine life, expeditions, the Matto Grosso in Brazil, and Andros Island will find this collection to be a rich visual resource. (View full finding aid.)
title
E.R. Fenimore Johnson photographs
creator
Johnson, E.R. (Eldridge Reeves Fenimore), 1899-1986
id
ANSP.2010.049
repository
extent
13.5 linear feet (17 containers)
inclusive date
1929-1970
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Eldridge Reeves Fenimore Johnson (1899-1986) was a pioneer in the development of underwater photography and was also an explorer, yachtsman and researcher. His interests in underwater photography developed during World War II when he enlisted in Naval Research and worked with underwater demolition and photography. He created his own company, Fenjohn Underwater Equipment Company and patented equipment inventions. The E.R. Fenimore Johnson photographs, 1929-1970, is a rich collection of images ranging from underwater photography; equipment and tests; natural history; yachting; and exploration. This collection consists of subject files, test photographs, motion picture films, index card guides to the motion pictures, index card guides to the use of the images, photograph albums of an expedition to Matto Grosso in Brazil, lantern slides, and negatives. Researchers interested in E.R. Fenimore Johnson, the development of underwater photography, marine life, expeditions, the Matto Grosso in Brazil, and Andros Island will find this collection to be a rich visual resource.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1859-1907
Creator:
Cope, E. D., (Edward Drinker), 1840-1897
Extent: 15 linear inches
Edward Drinker Cope (1840-1897) was one of the most distinguished American scientists of the 19th century. The bulk of his work was in the fields of paleontology, zoology, geology and anatomy. During his lifetime, he discovered and described over 600 new species and contributed over 1300 papers to scientific literature. The collection contains certificates and honors, medals, manuscripts of scientific papers, drawings, scientific photographs, biographical material, news clippings, account books, and miscellaneous notes. (View full finding aid.)
title
Edward Drinker Cope papers
creator
Cope, E. D., (Edward Drinker), 1840-1897
id
ANSP.Coll.328
repository
extent
15 linear inches
inclusive date
1859-1907
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Edward Drinker Cope (1840-1897) was one of the most distinguished American scientists of the 19th century. The bulk of his work was in the fields of paleontology, zoology, geology and anatomy. During his lifetime, he discovered and described over 600 new species and contributed over 1300 papers to scientific literature. The collection contains certificates and honors, medals, manuscripts of scientific papers, drawings, scientific photographs, biographical material, news clippings, account books, and miscellaneous notes.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1846-1915
Creator:
Nolan, Edward J.
Extent: 234 items
Edward James Nolan (1846-1921) served as the librarian at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia from 1869 until his death. During his tenure as librarian, he performed research on and wrote the history of the Academy which was completed in 1909. This collection contains material collected by Nolan for his history, including transcriptions of early minutes, deeds, biographies, news clipppings, letters and reminiscences of colleagues. (View full finding aid.)
title
Edward James Nolan documents and correspondence on the History of the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia
creator
Nolan, Edward J.
id
ANSP.Coll.464
repository
extent
234 items
inclusive date
1846-1915
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Edward James Nolan (1846-1921) served as the librarian at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia from 1869 until his death. During his tenure as librarian, he performed research on and wrote the history of the Academy which was completed in 1909. This collection contains material collected by Nolan for his history, including transcriptions of early minutes, deeds, biographies, news clipppings, letters and reminiscences of colleagues.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
circa 1924-1952
Creator:
Pennell, Francis W., (Francis Whittier), 1886-1952
Extent: 2.5 linear inches
Francis Whittier Pennell (1886-1952) was an American botanist and a world authority on the Scrophulariaceae. He served as associate curator of the New York Botanical Garden from 1914 to 1921 and as curator of plants at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia from 1921 until his death. He had an intense interest in the history of botany and collected biographical material on many early botanists. This collection includes Pennell’s research notes as well as some finished biographies. (View full finding aid.)
title
Francis Whittier Pennell biographies of botanists
creator
Pennell, Francis W., (Francis Whittier), 1886-1952
id
ANSP.Coll.221
repository
extent
2.5 linear inches
inclusive date
circa 1924-1952
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Francis Whittier Pennell (1886-1952) was an American botanist and a world authority on the Scrophulariaceae. He served as associate curator of the New York Botanical Garden from 1914 to 1921 and as curator of plants at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia from 1921 until his death. He had an intense interest in the history of botany and collected biographical material on many early botanists. This collection includes Pennell’s research notes as well as some finished biographies.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1885-1957
(Bulk: 1900-1953)
Creator:
Pilsbry, Henry Augustus, b. 1862
Extent: 6.75 linear feet (8 containers)
Henry Augustus Pilsbry, Dean of American Malacologists, was the conservator, curator and head of the Department of Shells at the Academy of Natural Sciences for 70 years. He was also the internationally recognized authority in the field of land mollusks. He wrote and edited many volumes of the Manual of Conchology and from 1889 until his death was an editor of the journal Nautilus, which he founded. A member of many scientific expeditions, he traveled all over the United States, to the Caribbean, South America, Mexico, Hawaii and other Pacific Islands, and to Australia. This collection contains the professional papers of Henry A. Pilsbry between the years 1885 and 1957. The bulk of this collection consists of Pilsbry’s working files and drafts of published material that came from those files, including a draft of the second volume of Land Mollusks of North America. Pilsbry’s correspondence is by far the most valuable part of this collection. It reflects an extensive international network of scientific investigation of which Pilsbry was at the center. The correspondence is largely related to the identification, exchange and taxonomy of specimens from around the world. The materials in this collection would be of interest to anyone researching the professional life of Henry Pilsbry, the history of the Academy of Natural Sciences, or especially the history of malacology. (View full finding aid.)
title
H. A. Pilsbry papers
creator
Pilsbry, Henry Augustus, b. 1862
id
ANSP.2010.017
repository
extent
6.75 linear feet (8 containers)
inclusive date
1885-1957
bulk date
1900-1953
abstract/scope/contents
Henry Augustus Pilsbry, Dean of American Malacologists, was the conservator, curator and head of the Department of Shells at the Academy of Natural Sciences for 70 years. He was also the internationally recognized authority in the field of land mollusks. He wrote and edited many volumes of the Manual of Conchology and from 1889 until his death was an editor of the journal Nautilus, which he founded. A member of many scientific expeditions, he traveled all over the United States, to the Caribbean, South America, Mexico, Hawaii and other Pacific Islands, and to Australia. This collection contains the professional papers of Henry A. Pilsbry between the years 1885 and 1957. The bulk of this collection consists of Pilsbry’s working files and drafts of published material that came from those files, including a draft of the second volume of Land Mollusks of North America. Pilsbry’s correspondence is by far the most valuable part of this collection. It reflects an extensive international network of scientific investigation of which Pilsbry was at the center. The correspondence is largely related to the identification, exchange and taxonomy of specimens from around the world. The materials in this collection would be of interest to anyone researching the professional life of Henry Pilsbry, the history of the Academy of Natural Sciences, or especially the history of malacology.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1928-1984
Creator:
Richards, Horace Gardiner, 1906-1984
Extent: 41 linear feet (77 containers)
Horace G. Richards (1906-1984) was a geologist at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia and an authority on the geologic formations of the Atlantic coastal plain. His research specialty focused on geology and paleontology of the Quaternary Period (approximately the past 1.8 million years), but his research interests also included Cenozoic mollusca, and marine Pleistocene geology and paleontology of the Atlantic coastal plain. Additionally, he studied climate change and coastal shorelines, which required extensive fieldwork, taking him all over the world. Richards was also an adjunct professor at two universities and frequently guest lectured at various institutions. The Horace G. Richards papers document various aspects of his professional career, from his graduate education at the University of Pennsylvania to his retirement from the multiple positions he held. Materials in this collection include: general business correspondence; photographs and slides from his field work and expeditions; photographic catalog notebooks; scrapbooks of newspaper clippings and announcements; travel expenses and reports; and the records of the Atlantic Coastal Plains Project, the International Union of Quaternary Research, the Annotated Bibliography of Quaternary Shorelines and various professional societies. Also in the collection are certificates, academic materials, student papers, radio scripts, audio reels, and manuscripts of Richards' writings and presentations. The majority of the collection is made up of Richards' correspondence and extensive slides from his travels all over the world. This collection is of special interest for those interested in the history of science, especially the Quaternary Period, geology, paleontology, mollusca, invertebrate fossils, climate change and changing shore lines. (View full finding aid.)
title
Horace G. Richards papers
creator
Richards, Horace Gardiner, 1906-1984
id
ANSP.2010.062
repository
extent
41 linear feet (77 containers)
inclusive date
1928-1984
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Horace G. Richards (1906-1984) was a geologist at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia and an authority on the geologic formations of the Atlantic coastal plain. His research specialty focused on geology and paleontology of the Quaternary Period (approximately the past 1.8 million years), but his research interests also included Cenozoic mollusca, and marine Pleistocene geology and paleontology of the Atlantic coastal plain. Additionally, he studied climate change and coastal shorelines, which required extensive fieldwork, taking him all over the world. Richards was also an adjunct professor at two universities and frequently guest lectured at various institutions. The Horace G. Richards papers document various aspects of his professional career, from his graduate education at the University of Pennsylvania to his retirement from the multiple positions he held. Materials in this collection include: general business correspondence; photographs and slides from his field work and expeditions; photographic catalog notebooks; scrapbooks of newspaper clippings and announcements; travel expenses and reports; and the records of the Atlantic Coastal Plains Project, the International Union of Quaternary Research, the Annotated Bibliography of Quaternary Shorelines and various professional societies. Also in the collection are certificates, academic materials, student papers, radio scripts, audio reels, and manuscripts of Richards' writings and presentations. The majority of the collection is made up of Richards' correspondence and extensive slides from his travels all over the world. This collection is of special interest for those interested in the history of science, especially the Quaternary Period, geology, paleontology, mollusca, invertebrate fossils, climate change and changing shore lines.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1847-1963
Creator:
Moore, J. Percy, 1869-1965
Extent: 16 linear feet (45 containers)
John Percy Moore (1869-1965) was a Professor of Zoology at the University of Pennsylvania from 1912 to 1939, an Assistant Curator at the Academy of Natural Sciences from 1902 to 1938, and held several positions between 1920 and 1956 at the Ludwick Institute, which offered free lectures and courses in the natural sciences. He was also a world recognized authority on leeches. During his career, Moore named six genera, 229 species, five subspecies and four varieties of polychaetous annelids, or segmented worms (Loi 1980). The J. Percy Moore papers document Moore's professional career as a zoologist, primarily his study of leeches and other annelids; educator; and biographer. The collection dates from 1847 to 1963 and consists of his specimen notes, sketches, photographs, 16 mm film, travel logs, and field notes related to his study of leeches and other annelids. The collection also contains materials related to his involvement with The Academy of Natural Sciences (ANSP) Board of Trustees, ANSP Library Committee, Ludwick Institute, Philadelphia Metropolitan Library Committee, American Philosophical Society Library Committee, and his report on mosquito control which he completed for the Bureau of Fisheries. In addition are Moore's lecture notes on various topics, most notably evolution and heredity; Moore's course notes; manuscripts and drafts of articles Moore wrote; professional correspondence with students and colleagues; correspondence on the progress of Joseph Leidy's biography; correspondence and research materials for Samuel George Morton and William Maclure biographies; and lantern slides, photographs and correspondence related to Moore's expedition in India in 1931 and 1932. (View full finding aid.)
title
J. Percy Moore papers
creator
Moore, J. Percy, 1869-1965
id
ANSP.2010.018
repository
extent
16 linear feet (45 containers)
inclusive date
1847-1963
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
John Percy Moore (1869-1965) was a Professor of Zoology at the University of Pennsylvania from 1912 to 1939, an Assistant Curator at the Academy of Natural Sciences from 1902 to 1938, and held several positions between 1920 and 1956 at the Ludwick Institute, which offered free lectures and courses in the natural sciences. He was also a world recognized authority on leeches. During his career, Moore named six genera, 229 species, five subspecies and four varieties of polychaetous annelids, or segmented worms (Loi 1980). The J. Percy Moore papers document Moore's professional career as a zoologist, primarily his study of leeches and other annelids; educator; and biographer. The collection dates from 1847 to 1963 and consists of his specimen notes, sketches, photographs, 16 mm film, travel logs, and field notes related to his study of leeches and other annelids. The collection also contains materials related to his involvement with The Academy of Natural Sciences (ANSP) Board of Trustees, ANSP Library Committee, Ludwick Institute, Philadelphia Metropolitan Library Committee, American Philosophical Society Library Committee, and his report on mosquito control which he completed for the Bureau of Fisheries. In addition are Moore's lecture notes on various topics, most notably evolution and heredity; Moore's course notes; manuscripts and drafts of articles Moore wrote; professional correspondence with students and colleagues; correspondence on the progress of Joseph Leidy's biography; correspondence and research materials for Samuel George Morton and William Maclure biographies; and lantern slides, photographs and correspondence related to Moore's expedition in India in 1931 and 1932.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1794-1829
Creator:
Cist, Jacob, 1782-1825
Extent: 1.5 cubic feet
Jacob Cist (1782-1825) was an American naturalist, artist, inventor, businessman, author, treasurer and United States Postmaster. He was also one of the most important pioneers in the marketing of anthracite coal and a leading authority on its economic potential. This collection includes personal and business letters, documents, agreements, memorabilia, clippings and records of Cist's service as United States Postmaster of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. His accounts as treasurer of the Wilkes-Barre Bridge Co. are included, as are records of his activities as a co-founder and officer of the Luzerne County Agricultural Society and his service as a Commissioner from his county to the Pennsylvania Commission for Internal Improvement. His tax accounts as County Treasurer, with supplementary letters give details of the procedures in vogue during that era. The collection also includes some typescript and some facsimile copies. (View full finding aid.)
title
Jacob Cist correspondence and documents
creator
Cist, Jacob, 1782-1825
id
ANSP.Coll.152
repository
extent
1.5 cubic feet
inclusive date
1794-1829
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Jacob Cist (1782-1825) was an American naturalist, artist, inventor, businessman, author, treasurer and United States Postmaster. He was also one of the most important pioneers in the marketing of anthracite coal and a leading authority on its economic potential. This collection includes personal and business letters, documents, agreements, memorabilia, clippings and records of Cist's service as United States Postmaster of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. His accounts as treasurer of the Wilkes-Barre Bridge Co. are included, as are records of his activities as a co-founder and officer of the Luzerne County Agricultural Society and his service as a Commissioner from his county to the Pennsylvania Commission for Internal Improvement. His tax accounts as County Treasurer, with supplementary letters give details of the procedures in vogue during that era. The collection also includes some typescript and some facsimile copies.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1926-1985, undated
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Extent: 2 linear feet (2 containers)
The Orphan Photograph collection houses unrelated photographic prints, negatives, slides and other visual media created for or by the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, dating from circa 1926 to 1985. The collection has an unknown custodial history; it appears to have been gathered together over time due to the random nature of the images and lack or loss of any connection between individual images and other larger collections. Researchers will find images of a variety of animal and plant specimens; photos taken during a few Academy events and multiple Academy sponsored expeditions; exhibits; as well as numerous portraits and snapshots of people affiliated with the institution. In addition, there are a handful of photographs and negatives produced or collected by the Public Relations Department for use in the Academy newsletter, Frontiers and other publications. Of particular note, are the photographs taken during Academy sponsored expeditions, especially those few snapshots taken during George Vanderbilt's trans-Africa expedition in the 1940s. (View full finding aid.)
title
Orphan Photograph Collection
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
id
ANSP.2010.025
repository
extent
2 linear feet (2 containers)
inclusive date
1926-1985, undated
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Orphan Photograph collection houses unrelated photographic prints, negatives, slides and other visual media created for or by the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, dating from circa 1926 to 1985. The collection has an unknown custodial history; it appears to have been gathered together over time due to the random nature of the images and lack or loss of any connection between individual images and other larger collections. Researchers will find images of a variety of animal and plant specimens; photos taken during a few Academy events and multiple Academy sponsored expeditions; exhibits; as well as numerous portraits and snapshots of people affiliated with the institution. In addition, there are a handful of photographs and negatives produced or collected by the Public Relations Department for use in the Academy newsletter, Frontiers and other publications. Of particular note, are the photographs taken during Academy sponsored expeditions, especially those few snapshots taken during George Vanderbilt's trans-Africa expedition in the 1940s.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1874-2003
(Bulk: 1939-1993)
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Extent: 82.6 linear feet (146 containers)
The oldest natural science research institution and museum in the Americas, the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia (ANSP) was founded in 1812 "for the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences, and the advancement of useful learning." Since the founding of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, there have been twenty-eight presidents and five acting presidents. From 1937 to 1995, there were four presidents and one acting president who left their administrations well documented: Charles M.B. Cadwalader (1937-1951), William M. Marvel (1971-1974), Milton H. Wahl (1974-1976), Thomas Peter Bennett (1976-1985) and Keith Stewart Thomson (1986-1995). In addition, several key staff members who worked closely with these presidents left a record of their influence and contributions. This collection contains papers kept by the Office of the President as well as some of the various divisions of the Academy overseen by the President from 1874 to 2003. The bulk of the collection is comprised of alphabetically arranged subject files created and/or maintained by the Academy’s President’s Office from 1939 to 1993. The files relate to nearly all activities of the institution including, but not limited to, institutional finances, research, and exhibits. The depth to which topics are covered varies significantly. There are smaller groups of records that document more specifically the activities of the various divisions (or departments) of the Academy, which were administered by the President’s Office, especially the Development Office, the Office of the Comptroller, the Public Museum Division, and the Division of Systematic and Evolutionary Biology. (View full finding aid.)
title
President's Office and Administrative Records, 1874-2003
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
id
ANSP.2010.051
repository
extent
82.6 linear feet (146 containers)
inclusive date
1874-2003
bulk date
1939-1993
abstract/scope/contents
The oldest natural science research institution and museum in the Americas, the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia (ANSP) was founded in 1812 "for the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences, and the advancement of useful learning." Since the founding of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, there have been twenty-eight presidents and five acting presidents. From 1937 to 1995, there were four presidents and one acting president who left their administrations well documented: Charles M.B. Cadwalader (1937-1951), William M. Marvel (1971-1974), Milton H. Wahl (1974-1976), Thomas Peter Bennett (1976-1985) and Keith Stewart Thomson (1986-1995). In addition, several key staff members who worked closely with these presidents left a record of their influence and contributions. This collection contains papers kept by the Office of the President as well as some of the various divisions of the Academy overseen by the President from 1874 to 2003. The bulk of the collection is comprised of alphabetically arranged subject files created and/or maintained by the Academy’s President’s Office from 1939 to 1993. The files relate to nearly all activities of the institution including, but not limited to, institutional finances, research, and exhibits. The depth to which topics are covered varies significantly. There are smaller groups of records that document more specifically the activities of the various divisions (or departments) of the Academy, which were administered by the President’s Office, especially the Development Office, the Office of the Comptroller, the Public Museum Division, and the Division of Systematic and Evolutionary Biology.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1908-2012
(Bulk: 1960-1990)
Creator:
Patrick, Dr. Ruth, 1907-
Extent: 159 linear feet
Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1907, Dr. Ruth Myrtle Patrick spent most of her childhood in Kansas City, Missouri. Her interest in the natural sciences was shaped by her father's passion for the natural world. Her long association with the Academy of Natural Sciences began in 1933 as a volunteer. By 1937 she was curator of the Academy's Leidy Microscopical Collection and involved in the consolidation and expansion of the Academy’s diatom herbarium, but not on the Academy payroll until the early 1940s. From 1973 to 1976 she was the first woman to chair the Academy of Natural Sciences' Board of Trustees and later held the Academy’s Francis Boyer Chair of Limnology. She formed the Environmental Associates, a group of corporate executives concerned about environmental effects of industrial activities. She taught limnology and botany at the University of Pennsylvania for more than 35 years and wrote more than 200 scientific papers and a number of books. In 1970, Patrick became the 12th woman elected to the National Academy of Sciences, and in 1974 she was elected to the American Philosophical Society. She received the John and Alice Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement in 1975 and was awarded the National Medal of Science by President Bill Clinton in 1996. She received lifetime achievement awards from the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography and the National Council for Science. Other awards include the Pennsylvania Award for Excellence in Science and Technology, the Eminent Ecologist Award from the Ecological Society of America, the Gold Medal from the Royal Zoological Society of Belgium, and the Benjamin Franklin Award for Outstanding Scientific Achievement. Dr. Patrick continued her association with the Academy until her death at the age of 105 on September 23, 2013. The Ruth Patrick papers contain records created predominantly during the course of Dr. Patrick’s employment at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, beginning in 1942 and ending in 2009. Some records created prior to 1942 and records from her teaching career, including work at the University of Pennsylvania, are also included. Overall, this collection spans the years 1908 to 2012. The records include correspondence, administrative records, scientific papers, lectures, speeches and publications, as well as field records, research records, and scientific data. This collection also contains the files of associates who worked closely with Dr. Patrick on a variety of research projects and, in many cases, also includes reference materials. These records relate to Dr. Patrick’s career as a botanist, limnologist, phycologist, and one of the world’s leading authorities on diatoms. They document her activities as a consultant and advisor to both industry and government, and her collegial activities with peers throughout the world. In large part, these records document her pioneering efforts to monitor water quality, including the design of a method for comprehensive environmental monitoring that would quantify the effects of pollution on fresh water and estuarine ecologies. (View full finding aid.)
title
Ruth Patrick papers
creator
Patrick, Dr. Ruth, 1907-
id
ANSP.coll.974
repository
extent
159 linear feet
inclusive date
1908-2012
bulk date
1960-1990
abstract/scope/contents
Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1907, Dr. Ruth Myrtle Patrick spent most of her childhood in Kansas City, Missouri. Her interest in the natural sciences was shaped by her father's passion for the natural world. Her long association with the Academy of Natural Sciences began in 1933 as a volunteer. By 1937 she was curator of the Academy's Leidy Microscopical Collection and involved in the consolidation and expansion of the Academy’s diatom herbarium, but not on the Academy payroll until the early 1940s. From 1973 to 1976 she was the first woman to chair the Academy of Natural Sciences' Board of Trustees and later held the Academy’s Francis Boyer Chair of Limnology. She formed the Environmental Associates, a group of corporate executives concerned about environmental effects of industrial activities. She taught limnology and botany at the University of Pennsylvania for more than 35 years and wrote more than 200 scientific papers and a number of books. In 1970, Patrick became the 12th woman elected to the National Academy of Sciences, and in 1974 she was elected to the American Philosophical Society. She received the John and Alice Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement in 1975 and was awarded the National Medal of Science by President Bill Clinton in 1996. She received lifetime achievement awards from the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography and the National Council for Science. Other awards include the Pennsylvania Award for Excellence in Science and Technology, the Eminent Ecologist Award from the Ecological Society of America, the Gold Medal from the Royal Zoological Society of Belgium, and the Benjamin Franklin Award for Outstanding Scientific Achievement. Dr. Patrick continued her association with the Academy until her death at the age of 105 on September 23, 2013. The Ruth Patrick papers contain records created predominantly during the course of Dr. Patrick’s employment at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, beginning in 1942 and ending in 2009. Some records created prior to 1942 and records from her teaching career, including work at the University of Pennsylvania, are also included. Overall, this collection spans the years 1908 to 2012. The records include correspondence, administrative records, scientific papers, lectures, speeches and publications, as well as field records, research records, and scientific data. This collection also contains the files of associates who worked closely with Dr. Patrick on a variety of research projects and, in many cases, also includes reference materials. These records relate to Dr. Patrick’s career as a botanist, limnologist, phycologist, and one of the world’s leading authorities on diatoms. They document her activities as a consultant and advisor to both industry and government, and her collegial activities with peers throughout the world. In large part, these records document her pioneering efforts to monitor water quality, including the design of a method for comprehensive environmental monitoring that would quantify the effects of pollution on fresh water and estuarine ecologies.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1777-1916
Creator:
Weiss, Jacob, 1750-1839
Extent: 0.75 linear feet
The Weiss family was prominent in the coal business in eastern Pennsylvania during the late 1700s and 1800s. The Weiss family collection dates from 1777 to 1916 and documents, most fully, Jacob Weiss (1750-1839), Francis White (1773-1845), and Francis White (1819-1888). The papers include diaries, geological and surveying notebooks, maps and observations; personalia and biographical notes; transcribed documents, portraits, scrapbooks, business journals, daybooks, mercantile records and account books as well as correspondence of many members of the family. (View full finding aid.)
title
Weiss family of Weissport, Pennsylvania papers
creator
Weiss, Jacob, 1750-1839
id
ANSP.Coll.216
repository
extent
0.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1777-1916
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Weiss family was prominent in the coal business in eastern Pennsylvania during the late 1700s and 1800s. The Weiss family collection dates from 1777 to 1916 and documents, most fully, Jacob Weiss (1750-1839), Francis White (1773-1845), and Francis White (1819-1888). The papers include diaries, geological and surveying notebooks, maps and observations; personalia and biographical notes; transcribed documents, portraits, scrapbooks, business journals, daybooks, mercantile records and account books as well as correspondence of many members of the family.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1805-1827
Creator:
Collins, Zaccheus, 1764-1831
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Zaccheus Collins (1764-1831) was a plant collector and herbarium owner from Philadelphia. Collins was an esteemed botanist and was often consulted by a majority of botanical writers, though he never published anything himself. He was also an avid collector and his herbarium contained a nearly complete collection of the plants from the vicinity of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. His correspondents also sent him various specimens from their research in the southern states, particularly South Carolina and Georgia. The collection contains letters that are entirely botanical in nature, coming from 55 individuals, and presents a cross section of the botanists and their problems in the early 19th century. There is significant correspondence from Henry Muhlenberg (1753-1815), Frederick Augustus Hall Muhlenberg, Stephen Elliott (1771-1830) and Dr. Jacob Bigelow (1787-1879), as well as many other important botanists of the era. (View full finding aid.)
title
Zaccheus Collins correspondence
creator
Collins, Zaccheus, 1764-1831
id
ANSP.Coll.129
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1805-1827
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Zaccheus Collins (1764-1831) was a plant collector and herbarium owner from Philadelphia. Collins was an esteemed botanist and was often consulted by a majority of botanical writers, though he never published anything himself. He was also an avid collector and his herbarium contained a nearly complete collection of the plants from the vicinity of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. His correspondents also sent him various specimens from their research in the southern states, particularly South Carolina and Georgia. The collection contains letters that are entirely botanical in nature, coming from 55 individuals, and presents a cross section of the botanists and their problems in the early 19th century. There is significant correspondence from Henry Muhlenberg (1753-1815), Frederick Augustus Hall Muhlenberg, Stephen Elliott (1771-1830) and Dr. Jacob Bigelow (1787-1879), as well as many other important botanists of the era.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »