Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 43  
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1928-2002
Extent: 2.25 linear feet
Dr. Agnes Gowdey graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1935, after attending Carroll College in Wisconsin. She was in general practice with a concentration in obstetrics for most of her career, practicing first in Philadelphia and later in Riverton, New Jersey. She had an ongoing relationship with the American Youth Foundation (AYF), especially their Camp Merrowvista. The collection documents this ongoing relationship with the camp and its champions. After retirement, Dr. Gowdey was very involved with elder care initiatives in Moorestown, N.J. The collection is most informative about Dr. Gowdey’s time as a student at Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, her early private practice in the 1940s, and her involvement with Camp Merrowvista. Dr. Gowdey’s most influential work in the areas of obstetrics, elder care, and sex education for young people, is strongly represented here. The collection consists of correspondence, patient records, family papers, anatomical drawings, lecture notes, autobiographical writings, poems, photographs and press clippings, as well as manuscript drafts of the book she wrote with Ray Budde, eventually titled “Bread Crumbs and other Founder Wisdom.” (View full finding aid.)
title
Agnes Gowdey papers
creator
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.531
repository
extent
2.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1928-2002
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Agnes Gowdey graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1935, after attending Carroll College in Wisconsin. She was in general practice with a concentration in obstetrics for most of her career, practicing first in Philadelphia and later in Riverton, New Jersey. She had an ongoing relationship with the American Youth Foundation (AYF), especially their Camp Merrowvista. The collection documents this ongoing relationship with the camp and its champions. After retirement, Dr. Gowdey was very involved with elder care initiatives in Moorestown, N.J. The collection is most informative about Dr. Gowdey’s time as a student at Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, her early private practice in the 1940s, and her involvement with Camp Merrowvista. Dr. Gowdey’s most influential work in the areas of obstetrics, elder care, and sex education for young people, is strongly represented here. The collection consists of correspondence, patient records, family papers, anatomical drawings, lecture notes, autobiographical writings, poems, photographs and press clippings, as well as manuscript drafts of the book she wrote with Ray Budde, eventually titled “Bread Crumbs and other Founder Wisdom.”
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1917-1982
Creator:
American Women's Hospitals.
Extent: 7.5 linear feet
The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later called the American Medical Women's Association) in 1917, to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; to offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. In 1959, AWH became an independent agency and remained such until 1982 when it re-merged with the American Medical Women's Association. The collection houses photographs created by the American Women's Hospitals Service (AWHS) from 1917 to 1982 to document and promote the organization's efforts to provide health care to under-serviced populations in the United States and abroad. The photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. As a result, many are annotated to identify the primary subject, geographic location and, occasionally, individuals, providing a graphic chronicle of the variety and forms of AWHS fieldwork worldwide. Researchers will find images of field and clinic work conducted in Africa, Albania, Bolivia, France, Greece, India, Korea, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, to name a few. In addition, there are a few files at the end containing portraits of AWHS personnel and significant women in medicine that were also associated with the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. In addition to the photographic record, this collection also includes a few files of Dr. Esther Lovejoy correspondence and written material used by Dr. Alma Dea Morani to prepare for a lecture in 1974. (View full finding aid.)
title
American Women's Hospitals Service photographs
creator
American Women's Hospitals.
id
WM.SC.144
repository
extent
7.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1917-1982
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later called the American Medical Women's Association) in 1917, to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; to offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. In 1959, AWH became an independent agency and remained such until 1982 when it re-merged with the American Medical Women's Association. The collection houses photographs created by the American Women's Hospitals Service (AWHS) from 1917 to 1982 to document and promote the organization's efforts to provide health care to under-serviced populations in the United States and abroad. The photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. As a result, many are annotated to identify the primary subject, geographic location and, occasionally, individuals, providing a graphic chronicle of the variety and forms of AWHS fieldwork worldwide. Researchers will find images of field and clinic work conducted in Africa, Albania, Bolivia, France, Greece, India, Korea, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, to name a few. In addition, there are a few files at the end containing portraits of AWHS personnel and significant women in medicine that were also associated with the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. In addition to the photographic record, this collection also includes a few files of Dr. Esther Lovejoy correspondence and written material used by Dr. Alma Dea Morani to prepare for a lecture in 1974.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1917-1982
Extent: 31.5 linear feet (63 boxes)
The collection contains the primary source material for a thorough institutional history of a major women's service organization that spans three-quarters of a century. Issues of professionalization, volunteerism, and social and occupational networks as they relate to women's professional and social careers are well-documented. The AWH records provide the sources to examine a classic example of a woman's association that self-consciously bridged private and public domains, actively sought to bring the resources of public associations and the state to the aid of individuals in their own communities, and, in those countries which most severely relegated women to the private household, offered women access to a professional and public career. (View full finding aid.)
title
American Women’s Hospitals records
creator
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.010
repository
extent
31.5 linear feet (63 boxes)
inclusive date
1917-1982
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains the primary source material for a thorough institutional history of a major women's service organization that spans three-quarters of a century. Issues of professionalization, volunteerism, and social and occupational networks as they relate to women's professional and social careers are well-documented. The AWH records provide the sources to examine a classic example of a woman's association that self-consciously bridged private and public domains, actively sought to bring the resources of public associations and the state to the aid of individuals in their own communities, and, in those countries which most severely relegated women to the private household, offered women access to a professional and public career.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1831-1880
Creator:
Preston, Ann, 1813-1872
Extent: 0.67 linear feet (1 document box, 1 flat box)
Ann Preston (1813-1872) was a pioneer in women's medical education. She graduated from the first class of the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania (later the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania) in 1851, served on the faculty, founded the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia and a nursing school, and became the first woman dean of the Female Medical College in 1866. This collection documents Dr. Preston's early life, and to a lesser degree, her medical career and the successes, as well as the challenges, that she and other women physicians faced in the mid nineteenth century. (View full finding aid.)
title
Ann Preston, M.D. papers
creator
Preston, Ann, 1813-1872
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.537
repository
extent
0.67 linear feet (1 document box, 1 flat box)
inclusive date
1831-1880
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Ann Preston (1813-1872) was a pioneer in women's medical education. She graduated from the first class of the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania (later the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania) in 1851, served on the faculty, founded the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia and a nursing school, and became the first woman dean of the Female Medical College in 1866. This collection documents Dr. Preston's early life, and to a lesser degree, her medical career and the successes, as well as the challenges, that she and other women physicians faced in the mid nineteenth century.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1991-1997
Creator:
Cummings, Anne, M.D.
Extent: 3 linear feet (6 boxes)
Materials related to Anne Cummings, M.D., particularly student notes and curriculum materials from her time as a student at the Medical College of Pennsylvania [1991-1997]. (View full finding aid.)
title
Anne Cummings collection
creator
Cummings, Anne, M.D.
id
DUCOM.DU.SC.001
repository
extent
3 linear feet (6 boxes)
inclusive date
1991-1997
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Materials related to Anne Cummings, M.D., particularly student notes and curriculum materials from her time as a student at the Medical College of Pennsylvania [1991-1997].
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1918-1976
(Bulk: 1944-1972)
Creator:
Elston, Anny, Dr., 1895-1975
Extent: 2 linear feet
Anny Elston (1895-1975), a German born and trained pediatrician, immigrated to the United States in 1941 due to the "Racial Laws" in Nazi Germany. After obtaining her New York State Medical License in 1942, she began practicing medicine in New York City until retiring in 1972. The Anny Elston papers include information regarding Dr. Elston's medical credentials and continuing education, her medical practice in New York City, and patient records. (View full finding aid.)
title
Anny Elston papers
creator
Elston, Anny, Dr., 1895-1975
id
WM.SC.530
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1918-1976
bulk date
1944-1972
abstract/scope/contents
Anny Elston (1895-1975), a German born and trained pediatrician, immigrated to the United States in 1941 due to the "Racial Laws" in Nazi Germany. After obtaining her New York State Medical License in 1942, she began practicing medicine in New York City until retiring in 1972. The Anny Elston papers include information regarding Dr. Elston's medical credentials and continuing education, her medical practice in New York City, and patient records.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1913-1971
(Bulk: 1920-1950)
Creator:
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
Extent: 2 linear feet
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bertha Van Hoosen papers
creator
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
id
WM.SC.145
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1913-1971
bulk date
1920-1950
abstract/scope/contents
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1886-1955
Extent: 1 linear feet (1 document box, 2 half-document boxes, 1 flat box)
Blanche Fiscus Greaves (b.1869, d.1958) graduated in the class of 1895 at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. After attending medical school, she was employed at the Emergency Hospital, and was apparently the first female to serve on the staff of the Dorthea Dix Hospital and Woman's Hospital, all in Washington DC. She joined the staff of the Hospital of the Woman's Medical College in 1899 and apparently worked there until her retirement, practicing medicine for 40 years in Philadelphia. For a brief period, Greaves was appointed a temporary physician in the treatment of influenza and pneumonia during the epidemic in 1918. The collection materials span the years 1886-1955. The bulk of this collection is photographs, and primarily studio portraits. Some individuals in these photographs are identified but many are not. Some items of interest in this collection: a "Gem Album" of tintype portraits of young men and women (dated 1887), a portrait of Greaves posed next to a fragmented skull (dated 1891), a small photography notebook, containing camera settings and weather conditions (dated 1899). (View full finding aid.)
title
Blanche Fiscus Greaves papers
creator
id
WM.226
repository
extent
1 linear feet (1 document box, 2 half-document boxes, 1 flat box)
inclusive date
1886-1955
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Blanche Fiscus Greaves (b.1869, d.1958) graduated in the class of 1895 at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. After attending medical school, she was employed at the Emergency Hospital, and was apparently the first female to serve on the staff of the Dorthea Dix Hospital and Woman's Hospital, all in Washington DC. She joined the staff of the Hospital of the Woman's Medical College in 1899 and apparently worked there until her retirement, practicing medicine for 40 years in Philadelphia. For a brief period, Greaves was appointed a temporary physician in the treatment of influenza and pneumonia during the epidemic in 1918. The collection materials span the years 1886-1955. The bulk of this collection is photographs, and primarily studio portraits. Some individuals in these photographs are identified but many are not. Some items of interest in this collection: a "Gem Album" of tintype portraits of young men and women (dated 1887), a portrait of Greaves posed next to a fragmented skull (dated 1891), a small photography notebook, containing camera settings and weather conditions (dated 1899).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1868-1918
Creator:
Bradford, Thomas Lindsley, 1847-1918
Extent: 36 containers
Dr. Thomas L. Bradford (1847-1918) was a practicing homeopathic physician in Maine, Europe and Philadelphia. While practicing and teaching in Philadelphia he served as curator for the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia. From 1896 to 1916, he collected, organized and maintained material for 35 scrapbooks of biographical information about homeopathic physicians. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bradford collection of biographies of Homoeopathic Physicians
creator
Bradford, Thomas Lindsley, 1847-1918
id
HU.SC.064
repository
extent
36 containers
inclusive date
1868-1918
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Thomas L. Bradford (1847-1918) was a practicing homeopathic physician in Maine, Europe and Philadelphia. While practicing and teaching in Philadelphia he served as curator for the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia. From 1896 to 1916, he collected, organized and maintained material for 35 scrapbooks of biographical information about homeopathic physicians.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1895-1971
(Bulk: 1935-1960)
Creator:
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
Extent: 16 linear feet
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane. (View full finding aid.)
title
Catharine Macfarlane papers
creator
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
id
WM.047
repository
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1971
bulk date
1935-1960
abstract/scope/contents
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1820-2003
(Bulk: 1820-1940)
Creator:
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880
Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
Extent: 7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. (View full finding aid.)
title
Constantine Hering and Calvin B. Knerr family papers
creator
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880 Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
id
HU.100
repository
extent
7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
inclusive date
1820-2003
bulk date
1820-1940
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1980-2015
(Bulk: 1999-2009)
Extent: 4 linear feet
This collection consists of material from the Department of Graduate Medical Education and it documents their activites. Reports, committee minutes, and affliations with hospitals are discussed, as well as ways to improve various aspects of graduate medical education. (View full finding aid.)
title
Department of Graduate Medical Education records
creator
id
DUCOM.2015.015
repository
extent
4 linear feet
inclusive date
1980-2015
bulk date
1999-2009
abstract/scope/contents
This collection consists of material from the Department of Graduate Medical Education and it documents their activites. Reports, committee minutes, and affliations with hospitals are discussed, as well as ways to improve various aspects of graduate medical education.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1980-2015
(Bulk: 1999-2009)
Extent: 6 linear feet
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynocology records contain various materials relating to the history of the department from the mid-1980s until the mid-2010s. They provide insight into the many external reviews, and common concerns for graduate medical education, such as keeping track of residents' rotations and agreements with local hospitals. (View full finding aid.)
title
Department of Obstetrics and Gynocology records
creator
id
DUCOM.2015.014
repository
extent
6 linear feet
inclusive date
1980-2015
bulk date
1999-2009
abstract/scope/contents
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynocology records contain various materials relating to the history of the department from the mid-1980s until the mid-2010s. They provide insight into the many external reviews, and common concerns for graduate medical education, such as keeping track of residents' rotations and agreements with local hospitals.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1948-2010
(Bulk: 1970-2005)
Creator:
Bartuska, Doris Sophie Gorda, 1929-2013
Extent: 175 linear feet (25 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 record cartons, 3 oversized boxes)
Born and raised in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, Dr. Doris Bartuska graduated from the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1954, where she also served her internship and residency. An endocrinologist, she joined the faculty in 1958, was an Associate Dean for Curriculum, President of the Medical Staff, and a member of the Board of Directors and President of the Alumni Association. Dr. Bartuska was Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism as well as the Endocrine Fellowship Training Program at Woman’s Medical College/Medical College of Pennsylvania. She was named Emeritus Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology) at Drexel University College of Medicine in 1996. Dr. Bartuska passed away in 2013. This collection contains materials relating to the career and personal life of Dr. Doris Bartuska. They span from 1941 to 2010, although the bulk of the records cover the years 1970 to 2000. Dr. Bartuska’s roles serving in numerous positions, including President, in the American Medical Women’s Association, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and other professional organizations, are represented, as is her employment with Drexel College of Medicine. Her achievements during her career are showcased in the form of numerous awards and correpsondence from colleagues. Dr. Bartuska's family, with whom she was close, is represented in photographs. (View full finding aid.)
title
Doris Bartuska papers
creator
Bartuska, Doris Sophie Gorda, 1929-2013
id
WM.300
repository
extent
175 linear feet (25 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 record cartons, 3 oversized boxes)
inclusive date
1948-2010
bulk date
1970-2005
abstract/scope/contents
Born and raised in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, Dr. Doris Bartuska graduated from the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1954, where she also served her internship and residency. An endocrinologist, she joined the faculty in 1958, was an Associate Dean for Curriculum, President of the Medical Staff, and a member of the Board of Directors and President of the Alumni Association. Dr. Bartuska was Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism as well as the Endocrine Fellowship Training Program at Woman’s Medical College/Medical College of Pennsylvania. She was named Emeritus Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology) at Drexel University College of Medicine in 1996. Dr. Bartuska passed away in 2013. This collection contains materials relating to the career and personal life of Dr. Doris Bartuska. They span from 1941 to 2010, although the bulk of the records cover the years 1970 to 2000. Dr. Bartuska’s roles serving in numerous positions, including President, in the American Medical Women’s Association, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and other professional organizations, are represented, as is her employment with Drexel College of Medicine. Her achievements during her career are showcased in the form of numerous awards and correpsondence from colleagues. Dr. Bartuska's family, with whom she was close, is represented in photographs.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1924-1987
Creator:
Trent, Sophie, M.D.
Extent: 3.4 linear feet
Doctor Sophie Trent (b. 1917) was an internist who practiced medicine from 1943 to 1987. She practiced in Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas. During her Caribbean years, Trent worked with patients who were afflicted with elephantiasis, liver fluke disease and other tropical parasites. This collection, which dates from 1924 to 1989, houses records related to Trent's medical education and her research on tropical diseases from the 1940s to 1960s. There are also several examples of short medical texts, published volumes of Trent's poetry, and microscope slides of biological specimens related to Trent's work. (View full finding aid.)
title
Dr. Sophie Trent papers
creator
Trent, Sophie, M.D.
id
WM.SC.536
repository
extent
3.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1924-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Doctor Sophie Trent (b. 1917) was an internist who practiced medicine from 1943 to 1987. She practiced in Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas. During her Caribbean years, Trent worked with patients who were afflicted with elephantiasis, liver fluke disease and other tropical parasites. This collection, which dates from 1924 to 1989, houses records related to Trent's medical education and her research on tropical diseases from the 1940s to 1960s. There are also several examples of short medical texts, published volumes of Trent's poetry, and microscope slides of biological specimens related to Trent's work.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
approximately 1802-2016
(Bulk: 1962-2004)
Creator:
Haseltine, Florence, 1942-
Extent: 41.11 linear feet
Dr. Florence Haseltine, MD, PhD is a biophysicist, licensed obstetrician-gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist, writer, inventor, and advocate for women's health. The Florence Haseltine papers chronicle the career and personal life of Dr. Florence Haseltine and the Haseltine family. The records in this collection date from approximately 1802 to 2016, although the bulk of the records are from 1962 to 2014. This collection includes papers from Florence’s family, her work as a college student, her career as a research scientist, her various professional and organization activities, as well as her business and entrepreneurial efforts. The types of documents in this collection include correspondence, diaries, research papers, notebooks, clippings, financial records, photographs, audio-visual material, digital media, and other print material. (View full finding aid.)
title
Florence Haseltine papers
creator
Haseltine, Florence, 1942-
id
WM.212
repository
extent
41.11 linear feet
inclusive date
approximately 1802-2016
bulk date
1962-2004
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Florence Haseltine, MD, PhD is a biophysicist, licensed obstetrician-gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist, writer, inventor, and advocate for women's health. The Florence Haseltine papers chronicle the career and personal life of Dr. Florence Haseltine and the Haseltine family. The records in this collection date from approximately 1802 to 2016, although the bulk of the records are from 1962 to 2014. This collection includes papers from Florence’s family, her work as a college student, her career as a research scientist, her various professional and organization activities, as well as her business and entrepreneurial efforts. The types of documents in this collection include correspondence, diaries, research papers, notebooks, clippings, financial records, photographs, audio-visual material, digital media, and other print material.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1890-1970
(Bulk: 1925-1965)
Creator:
Hay, George A.
Extent: 4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
George A. Hay collection of administrative files of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania
creator
Hay, George A.
id
WMCP.R.293
repository
extent
4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
inclusive date
1890-1970
bulk date
1925-1965
abstract/scope/contents
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1977
Creator:
Corner, George Washington, 1889-1981, Author
Extent: 1 folder
The collection contains a photocopy of a typed manuscript about Louise Pearce, M.D., past president of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania and noted scientist, written by Corner, past president of the American Philosophical Society. The article was submitted to 2nd edition of Notable American Women. (View full finding aid.)
title
George Corner, Ph.D. manuscript
creator
Corner, George Washington, 1889-1981, Author
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.030
repository
extent
1 folder
inclusive date
1977
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains a photocopy of a typed manuscript about Louise Pearce, M.D., past president of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania and noted scientist, written by Corner, past president of the American Philosophical Society. The article was submitted to 2nd edition of Notable American Women.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1848-2009
(Bulk: 1928-1994)
Extent: 240 linear feet
Hahnemann University’s long history began in 1848 with the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. Over the years, the institution evolved in many ways, eventually becoming Hahnemann University and, later, the Drexel University College of Medicine. In the mid- to late-twentieth century, with the decline of homeopathy, Hahnemann re-invented itself as a nationally known academic medical center with prominence in cardiac surgery and cardiology, oncology, transplantation, training of non-physician health professionals, community health, and community mental health. This expertise led to many firsts for Hahnemann, including international advances in cardiac surgery. The Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records house the files of Hahnemann University and date from 1848 to 2009. The collection consists of annual and accreditation reports; minutes, memoranda, and correspondence from various committees, councils, and departments; records of student life and research; departmental research and publications; curriculum development and teaching materials; and other records created as a result of medical school governance. This collection thoroughly evidences the challenges, mission, accomplishments, and changes of a long-standing medical education program. While similar medical school records likely exist elsewhere, this collection provides a unique perspective on a school rooted in alternative medicine that evolved to remain prominent in the ever-shifting realms of medical education, research, and practice. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records
creator
id
HU.003
repository
extent
240 linear feet
inclusive date
1848-2009
bulk date
1928-1994
abstract/scope/contents
Hahnemann University’s long history began in 1848 with the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. Over the years, the institution evolved in many ways, eventually becoming Hahnemann University and, later, the Drexel University College of Medicine. In the mid- to late-twentieth century, with the decline of homeopathy, Hahnemann re-invented itself as a nationally known academic medical center with prominence in cardiac surgery and cardiology, oncology, transplantation, training of non-physician health professionals, community health, and community mental health. This expertise led to many firsts for Hahnemann, including international advances in cardiac surgery. The Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records house the files of Hahnemann University and date from 1848 to 2009. The collection consists of annual and accreditation reports; minutes, memoranda, and correspondence from various committees, councils, and departments; records of student life and research; departmental research and publications; curriculum development and teaching materials; and other records created as a result of medical school governance. This collection thoroughly evidences the challenges, mission, accomplishments, and changes of a long-standing medical education program. While similar medical school records likely exist elsewhere, this collection provides a unique perspective on a school rooted in alternative medicine that evolved to remain prominent in the ever-shifting realms of medical education, research, and practice.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
circa 1840-2004
Extent: 5.4 linear feet (19 boxes of photographs and 3 boxes of negatives)
The Hahnemann University Photograph Collection is an extensive collection that covers the people and buildings of Hahnemann from its beginnings in 1848 as the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania to 2004 as Hahnemann University Hospital. Much of the collection is a photographic record of the buildings that were used and constructed by the organization throughout its history. The photographs consistently span the lifetime of the school and hospital from the mid-1840s to turn of the twenty-first century. Shots include interiors, exteriors, construction sites, and aerial shots of the campus (and city). There are also a few shots of other homeopathic hospitals and schools in the nineteenth century. A significant portion of the collection visually documents the departments and medical instruments/equipment used by those departments. These photographs cover a range of dates with most being the latter half of the twentieth century. The remainder of the collection is concerned with the people associated with the schools and hospital over the years. Past presidents, doctors, and alumni, There are some images from the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania; however, most are from more recent times. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hahnemann University photograph collection
creator
id
DUCOM.HU.SC.001
repository
extent
5.4 linear feet (19 boxes of photographs and 3 boxes of negatives)
inclusive date
circa 1840-2004
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Hahnemann University Photograph Collection is an extensive collection that covers the people and buildings of Hahnemann from its beginnings in 1848 as the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania to 2004 as Hahnemann University Hospital. Much of the collection is a photographic record of the buildings that were used and constructed by the organization throughout its history. The photographs consistently span the lifetime of the school and hospital from the mid-1840s to turn of the twenty-first century. Shots include interiors, exteriors, construction sites, and aerial shots of the campus (and city). There are also a few shots of other homeopathic hospitals and schools in the nineteenth century. A significant portion of the collection visually documents the departments and medical instruments/equipment used by those departments. These photographs cover a range of dates with most being the latter half of the twentieth century. The remainder of the collection is concerned with the people associated with the schools and hospital over the years. Past presidents, doctors, and alumni, There are some images from the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania; however, most are from more recent times.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1911-1984
Creator:
Kuhlenbeck, Hartwig, 1897-
Extent: 63.55 linear feet
Born in Germany in 1897, Dr. Hartwig Kuhlenbeck, a neuroanatomist, received his degrees of Ph.D. in Philosophy and of M.D. (summa cum laude) from the University of Jena, Germany. He spent several years lecturing in Japan and at the University of Breslau (Germany) before moving to the United States in 1933. Dr. Kuhlenbeck was appointed to several positions at the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, beginning in 1935 as Acting Professor of Anatomy and retiring in 1982 as Emeritus Professor of Anatomy. He spent most of his professional career at Woman’s Medical College, with the exception of a two-year leave of absence from 1944-1946, when he served in the United States Army Medical Corps. Dr. Kuhlenbeck published over 150 works during his career as a world-renowned anatomist. He passed away in 1984. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hartwig Kuhlenbeck papers
creator
Kuhlenbeck, Hartwig, 1897-
id
DUCOM.323
repository
extent
63.55 linear feet
inclusive date
1911-1984
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Born in Germany in 1897, Dr. Hartwig Kuhlenbeck, a neuroanatomist, received his degrees of Ph.D. in Philosophy and of M.D. (summa cum laude) from the University of Jena, Germany. He spent several years lecturing in Japan and at the University of Breslau (Germany) before moving to the United States in 1933. Dr. Kuhlenbeck was appointed to several positions at the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, beginning in 1935 as Acting Professor of Anatomy and retiring in 1982 as Emeritus Professor of Anatomy. He spent most of his professional career at Woman’s Medical College, with the exception of a two-year leave of absence from 1944-1946, when he served in the United States Army Medical Corps. Dr. Kuhlenbeck published over 150 works during his career as a world-renowned anatomist. He passed away in 1984.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1958-1964
Creator:
Koprowska, Irena, 1917-
Extent: 2.4 linear feet
Dr. Irena Grasberg Koprowska (born 1917) worked in pathology and participated in a study on the early detection and diagnosis of lung cancer: The American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration Cooperative Study for the Evaluation of Radiologic and Sputum Cytologic Screening in the Early Detection of Lung Cancer while working at Cornell University. The Irena Koprowska collection on American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration Lung Cancer Screening Study consists of correspondence, data sheets, supporting notes, and reports dating from 1958 to 1964. The collection also includes microscope slides and photographic prints of the microscope slides. The material focuses on the lung cancer screening study conducted from 1958 to 1868 by Dr. Irena Koprowska, in conjunction with Dr. George Papanicolaou’s laboratory at Cornell, where she worked before coming to Hahnemann Medical College. The two co-authored a case report of the earliest diagnosis of lung cancer by a sputum smear. It was noted that study had only negative results, and it has been asserted that results were not valuable, in themselves, in the early diagnosis of lung cancer. (View full finding aid.)
title
Irena Koprowska collection on American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration lung cancer screening study
creator
Koprowska, Irena, 1917-
id
HU.SC.002
repository
extent
2.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1958-1964
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Irena Grasberg Koprowska (born 1917) worked in pathology and participated in a study on the early detection and diagnosis of lung cancer: The American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration Cooperative Study for the Evaluation of Radiologic and Sputum Cytologic Screening in the Early Detection of Lung Cancer while working at Cornell University. The Irena Koprowska collection on American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration Lung Cancer Screening Study consists of correspondence, data sheets, supporting notes, and reports dating from 1958 to 1964. The collection also includes microscope slides and photographic prints of the microscope slides. The material focuses on the lung cancer screening study conducted from 1958 to 1868 by Dr. Irena Koprowska, in conjunction with Dr. George Papanicolaou’s laboratory at Cornell, where she worked before coming to Hahnemann Medical College. The two co-authored a case report of the earliest diagnosis of lung cancer by a sputum smear. It was noted that study had only negative results, and it has been asserted that results were not valuable, in themselves, in the early diagnosis of lung cancer.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1887-1972
Creator:
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
Extent: 6.8 linear feet
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Isabel Smith Stein collection on Elizabeth Cisney Smith
creator
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
id
WM.2007.002
repository
extent
6.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1887-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1923-1990
Extent: 8.3 linear feet (24 boxes (21 document boxes, 3 oversize flat boxes))
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D., also known as “Dr. Jessie,” was an internationally recognized physician and early pioneer of birth control legislation and family planning, active from the 1930s until the early 1970s. The Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers document Brodie’s professional life and work, focusing on Brodie’s work for various causes and organizations in family planning and contraception, such as legislation for contraception in Oregon and the Planned Parenthood Association, the Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance (PAMWA), the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), and her work with the Pathfinder Fund in Latin America. The collection, which dates from 1923 to 1990, is divided into five series: “Geographical Files;” “Subject Files;” “Chronological Files;” “Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance” (PAMWA); and “Visual Materials.” (View full finding aid.)
title
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers
creator
id
WM.244
repository
extent
8.3 linear feet (24 boxes (21 document boxes, 3 oversize flat boxes))
inclusive date
1923-1990
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D., also known as “Dr. Jessie,” was an internationally recognized physician and early pioneer of birth control legislation and family planning, active from the 1930s until the early 1970s. The Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers document Brodie’s professional life and work, focusing on Brodie’s work for various causes and organizations in family planning and contraception, such as legislation for contraception in Oregon and the Planned Parenthood Association, the Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance (PAMWA), the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), and her work with the Pathfinder Fund in Latin America. The collection, which dates from 1923 to 1990, is divided into five series: “Geographical Files;” “Subject Files;” “Chronological Files;” “Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance” (PAMWA); and “Visual Materials.”
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1892-1949, bulk 1892-1896
Creator:
Hills, Laura Heath
Extent: 2 linear feet (2 boxes)
Scrapbook containing miscellaneous letters, original poems, photographs of school life at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, and a variety of newsclippings and mementos. (View full finding aid.)
title
Laura Heath Hills scrapbook
creator
Hills, Laura Heath
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.057
repository
extent
2 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
1892-1949, bulk 1892-1896
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Scrapbook containing miscellaneous letters, original poems, photographs of school life at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, and a variety of newsclippings and mementos.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • NextLast »