Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
Remove
filtered Date: 1900-1950
Remove
filtered Date: 1950-2000
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 12 out of 12  
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1886-1955
Extent: 1 linear feet (1 document box, 2 half-document boxes, 1 flat box)
Blanche Fiscus Greaves (b.1869, d.1958) graduated in the class of 1895 at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. After attending medical school, she was employed at the Emergency Hospital, and was apparently the first female to serve on the staff of the Dorthea Dix Hospital and Woman's Hospital, all in Washington DC. She joined the staff of the Hospital of the Woman's Medical College in 1899 and apparently worked there until her retirement, practicing medicine for 40 years in Philadelphia. For a brief period, Greaves was appointed a temporary physician in the treatment of influenza and pneumonia during the epidemic in 1918. The collection materials span the years 1886-1955. The bulk of this collection is photographs, and primarily studio portraits. Some individuals in these photographs are identified but many are not. Some items of interest in this collection: a "Gem Album" of tintype portraits of young men and women (dated 1887), a portrait of Greaves posed next to a fragmented skull (dated 1891), a small photography notebook, containing camera settings and weather conditions (dated 1899). (View full finding aid.)
title
Blanche Fiscus Greaves papers
creator
id
WM.226
repository
extent
1 linear feet (1 document box, 2 half-document boxes, 1 flat box)
inclusive date
1886-1955
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Blanche Fiscus Greaves (b.1869, d.1958) graduated in the class of 1895 at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. After attending medical school, she was employed at the Emergency Hospital, and was apparently the first female to serve on the staff of the Dorthea Dix Hospital and Woman's Hospital, all in Washington DC. She joined the staff of the Hospital of the Woman's Medical College in 1899 and apparently worked there until her retirement, practicing medicine for 40 years in Philadelphia. For a brief period, Greaves was appointed a temporary physician in the treatment of influenza and pneumonia during the epidemic in 1918. The collection materials span the years 1886-1955. The bulk of this collection is photographs, and primarily studio portraits. Some individuals in these photographs are identified but many are not. Some items of interest in this collection: a "Gem Album" of tintype portraits of young men and women (dated 1887), a portrait of Greaves posed next to a fragmented skull (dated 1891), a small photography notebook, containing camera settings and weather conditions (dated 1899).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1895-1971
(Bulk: 1935-1960)
Creator:
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
Extent: 16 linear feet
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane. (View full finding aid.)
title
Catharine Macfarlane papers
creator
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
id
WM.047
repository
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1971
bulk date
1935-1960
abstract/scope/contents
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1820-2003
(Bulk: 1820-1940)
Creator:
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880
Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
Extent: 7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. (View full finding aid.)
title
Constantine Hering and Calvin B. Knerr family papers
creator
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880 Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
id
HU.100
repository
extent
7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
inclusive date
1820-2003
bulk date
1820-1940
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
approximately 1802-2016
(Bulk: 1962-2004)
Creator:
Haseltine, Florence, 1942-
Extent: 41.11 linear feet
Dr. Florence Haseltine, MD, PhD is a biophysicist, licensed obstetrician-gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist, writer, inventor, and advocate for women's health. The Florence Haseltine papers chronicle the career and personal life of Dr. Florence Haseltine and the Haseltine family. The records in this collection date from approximately 1802 to 2016, although the bulk of the records are from 1962 to 2014. This collection includes papers from Florence’s family, her work as a college student, her career as a research scientist, her various professional and organization activities, as well as her business and entrepreneurial efforts. The types of documents in this collection include correspondence, diaries, research papers, notebooks, clippings, financial records, photographs, audio-visual material, digital media, and other print material. (View full finding aid.)
title
Florence Haseltine papers
creator
Haseltine, Florence, 1942-
id
WM.212
repository
extent
41.11 linear feet
inclusive date
approximately 1802-2016
bulk date
1962-2004
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Florence Haseltine, MD, PhD is a biophysicist, licensed obstetrician-gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist, writer, inventor, and advocate for women's health. The Florence Haseltine papers chronicle the career and personal life of Dr. Florence Haseltine and the Haseltine family. The records in this collection date from approximately 1802 to 2016, although the bulk of the records are from 1962 to 2014. This collection includes papers from Florence’s family, her work as a college student, her career as a research scientist, her various professional and organization activities, as well as her business and entrepreneurial efforts. The types of documents in this collection include correspondence, diaries, research papers, notebooks, clippings, financial records, photographs, audio-visual material, digital media, and other print material.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1890-1970
(Bulk: 1925-1965)
Creator:
Hay, George A.
Extent: 4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
George A. Hay collection of administrative files of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania
creator
Hay, George A.
id
WMCP.R.293
repository
extent
4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
inclusive date
1890-1970
bulk date
1925-1965
abstract/scope/contents
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1848-2009
(Bulk: 1928-1994)
Extent: 240 linear feet
Hahnemann University’s long history began in 1848 with the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. Over the years, the institution evolved in many ways, eventually becoming Hahnemann University and, later, the Drexel University College of Medicine. In the mid- to late-twentieth century, with the decline of homeopathy, Hahnemann re-invented itself as a nationally known academic medical center with prominence in cardiac surgery and cardiology, oncology, transplantation, training of non-physician health professionals, community health, and community mental health. This expertise led to many firsts for Hahnemann, including international advances in cardiac surgery. The Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records house the files of Hahnemann University and date from 1848 to 2009. The collection consists of annual and accreditation reports; minutes, memoranda, and correspondence from various committees, councils, and departments; records of student life and research; departmental research and publications; curriculum development and teaching materials; and other records created as a result of medical school governance. This collection thoroughly evidences the challenges, mission, accomplishments, and changes of a long-standing medical education program. While similar medical school records likely exist elsewhere, this collection provides a unique perspective on a school rooted in alternative medicine that evolved to remain prominent in the ever-shifting realms of medical education, research, and practice. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records
creator
id
HU.003
repository
extent
240 linear feet
inclusive date
1848-2009
bulk date
1928-1994
abstract/scope/contents
Hahnemann University’s long history began in 1848 with the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. Over the years, the institution evolved in many ways, eventually becoming Hahnemann University and, later, the Drexel University College of Medicine. In the mid- to late-twentieth century, with the decline of homeopathy, Hahnemann re-invented itself as a nationally known academic medical center with prominence in cardiac surgery and cardiology, oncology, transplantation, training of non-physician health professionals, community health, and community mental health. This expertise led to many firsts for Hahnemann, including international advances in cardiac surgery. The Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records house the files of Hahnemann University and date from 1848 to 2009. The collection consists of annual and accreditation reports; minutes, memoranda, and correspondence from various committees, councils, and departments; records of student life and research; departmental research and publications; curriculum development and teaching materials; and other records created as a result of medical school governance. This collection thoroughly evidences the challenges, mission, accomplishments, and changes of a long-standing medical education program. While similar medical school records likely exist elsewhere, this collection provides a unique perspective on a school rooted in alternative medicine that evolved to remain prominent in the ever-shifting realms of medical education, research, and practice.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
circa 1840-2004
Extent: 5.4 linear feet (19 boxes of photographs and 3 boxes of negatives)
The Hahnemann University Photograph Collection is an extensive collection that covers the people and buildings of Hahnemann from its beginnings in 1848 as the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania to 2004 as Hahnemann University Hospital. Much of the collection is a photographic record of the buildings that were used and constructed by the organization throughout its history. The photographs consistently span the lifetime of the school and hospital from the mid-1840s to turn of the twenty-first century. Shots include interiors, exteriors, construction sites, and aerial shots of the campus (and city). There are also a few shots of other homeopathic hospitals and schools in the nineteenth century. A significant portion of the collection visually documents the departments and medical instruments/equipment used by those departments. These photographs cover a range of dates with most being the latter half of the twentieth century. The remainder of the collection is concerned with the people associated with the schools and hospital over the years. Past presidents, doctors, and alumni, There are some images from the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania; however, most are from more recent times. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hahnemann University photograph collection
creator
id
DUCOM.HU.SC.001
repository
extent
5.4 linear feet (19 boxes of photographs and 3 boxes of negatives)
inclusive date
circa 1840-2004
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Hahnemann University Photograph Collection is an extensive collection that covers the people and buildings of Hahnemann from its beginnings in 1848 as the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania to 2004 as Hahnemann University Hospital. Much of the collection is a photographic record of the buildings that were used and constructed by the organization throughout its history. The photographs consistently span the lifetime of the school and hospital from the mid-1840s to turn of the twenty-first century. Shots include interiors, exteriors, construction sites, and aerial shots of the campus (and city). There are also a few shots of other homeopathic hospitals and schools in the nineteenth century. A significant portion of the collection visually documents the departments and medical instruments/equipment used by those departments. These photographs cover a range of dates with most being the latter half of the twentieth century. The remainder of the collection is concerned with the people associated with the schools and hospital over the years. Past presidents, doctors, and alumni, There are some images from the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania; however, most are from more recent times.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1887-1972
Creator:
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
Extent: 6.8 linear feet
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Isabel Smith Stein collection on Elizabeth Cisney Smith
creator
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
id
WM.2007.002
repository
extent
6.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1887-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1883-1985
Extent: 0.4 linear feet (1 document box)
Dr. (Mary) Pauline Root (b. 1859, d.1944) was a graduate of Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1883. She was the first female doctor to recieve an internship at Blockley Hospital in Philadelphia, and was reportedly the first female doctor to be sent on a mission by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. She carried out medical missionary work from 1885-1893 at a women's hospital in Madurai, India. Root completed post-graduate work at the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital before she was employed as the resident physican at Smith College from 1906-1909, where she taught courses on "hygiene". From 1919-1921, Root traveled around the United States teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities and Indian Government Schools for the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs. This collection contains both written and photographic material, spanning the years 1883-1985. The richness of this collection is found in Root's notes from her time spent teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities across the United States. The materials concerning missionary work in this collection are more focused on the Christian mission rather than focused on the medical work performed. (View full finding aid.)
title
Mary Pauline Root papers
creator
id
WM.257
repository
extent
0.4 linear feet (1 document box)
inclusive date
1883-1985
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. (Mary) Pauline Root (b. 1859, d.1944) was a graduate of Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1883. She was the first female doctor to recieve an internship at Blockley Hospital in Philadelphia, and was reportedly the first female doctor to be sent on a mission by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. She carried out medical missionary work from 1885-1893 at a women's hospital in Madurai, India. Root completed post-graduate work at the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital before she was employed as the resident physican at Smith College from 1906-1909, where she taught courses on "hygiene". From 1919-1921, Root traveled around the United States teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities and Indian Government Schools for the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs. This collection contains both written and photographic material, spanning the years 1883-1985. The richness of this collection is found in Root's notes from her time spent teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities across the United States. The materials concerning missionary work in this collection are more focused on the Christian mission rather than focused on the medical work performed.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1868-2015
Creator:
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia.
Extent: 29 linear feet (39 document boxes, 10 record cartons, 5 flat boxes)
The Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia was founded in 1868 by Dr. Albert Holmes Smith and nine area doctors. The organization was created for those in the medical profession who were interested in the "diseases and problems particular to women." This collection contains the business records of the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia from 1868-2015. These files contain administrative records relating to meetings, financial records, newsletters published by the Obstetrical Society, continuing medical education efforts, patient records from an Obstetrical Society committee’s study of pelvic cancer, and recordings of meetings and events (View full finding aid.)
title
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia records
creator
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia.
id
DUCOM.2011.001
repository
extent
29 linear feet (39 document boxes, 10 record cartons, 5 flat boxes)
inclusive date
1868-2015
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia was founded in 1868 by Dr. Albert Holmes Smith and nine area doctors. The organization was created for those in the medical profession who were interested in the "diseases and problems particular to women." This collection contains the business records of the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia from 1868-2015. These files contain administrative records relating to meetings, financial records, newsletters published by the Obstetrical Society, continuing medical education efforts, patient records from an Obstetrical Society committee’s study of pelvic cancer, and recordings of meetings and events
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1823-1987
(Bulk: 1919-1981)
Creator:
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
Extent: 10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Stella Yates Botelho papers
creator
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
id
WM.363
repository
extent
10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
inclusive date
1823-1987
bulk date
1919-1981
abstract/scope/contents
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1861-1964
Creator:
Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. School of Nursing.
Women's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Extent: 8.5 linear feet (16 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 pamphlet boxes, and 2 flat boxes)
Founded in 1861 by Ann Preston, M.D., the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia provided clinical experience for the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania students and practical training for nurses. In 1929, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, retaining the latter's name. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers and various committees, dating from 1861 to 1964; financial records, including auditor's reports and bequests, and dating from 1894 to 1964; clinical reports, dating from the 1890s; a register of deaths dating from 1872 to 1890; board of manager minutes (1863 to 1881)and pamphlets and bulletins (1923-1924; 1957-1960) from the hospital's Training School for Nurses. (View full finding aid.)
title
The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia Records
creator
Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. School of Nursing. Women's Hospital of Philadelphia.
id
DUCOM.WM.002
repository
extent
8.5 linear feet (16 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 pamphlet boxes, and 2 flat boxes)
inclusive date
1861-1964
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in 1861 by Ann Preston, M.D., the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia provided clinical experience for the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania students and practical training for nurses. In 1929, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, retaining the latter's name. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers and various committees, dating from 1861 to 1964; financial records, including auditor's reports and bequests, and dating from 1894 to 1964; clinical reports, dating from the 1890s; a register of deaths dating from 1872 to 1890; board of manager minutes (1863 to 1881)and pamphlets and bulletins (1923-1924; 1957-1960) from the hospital's Training School for Nurses.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »